Do We Need God to Survive?

I wholeheartedly agree.
Without such an 'existential criterion', it does seem that we each would be quite aimless, and collectively, well, non-collective...lol

I think this is an evolutionary kind of epiphenomenon; a mental conceit, that we need to guide us.

But why do you call it "conceit" - as if there would be something bad or unreal about maintaining some "highest existenital criterion"?

God is something that probably arose to meet the needs of states. Since allegiance to a state isn't a matter of kinship or tribalism, the state attained an aura of sacredness, using religion to unify disparate peoples. This wasn't necessarily a cynical ploy, but something that evolved to meet certain needs.

Atheism also arose to meet certain needs- the need to gain a clear picture of reality in order to meet that reality through scientific or technological means. Only recently has this need superseded the need to unite a state by religion.

But why do you call it "conceit" - as if there would be something bad or unreal about maintaining some "highest existenital criterion"?

No.

I used the word in its correct, not vulgar sense.

conceit

Briefly, meaning that it's an acknowledged, intentional, but useful illusion.

God is something that probably arose to meet the needs of states. Since allegiance to a state isn't a matter of kinship or tribalism, the state attained an aura of sacredness, using religion to unify disparate peoples. This wasn't necessarily a cynical ploy, but something that evolved to meet certain needs.

Atheism also arose to meet certain needs- the need to gain a clear picture of reality in order to meet that reality through scientific or technological means. Only recently has this need superseded the need to unite a state by religion.
I think there a problems with a clear picture of reality if one has ambitions of a state being united by technology.

Even if we are to accept the wild claim that technology shares a parallel with atheism, it simply unifies the demands of the consumers. IOW even if everyone has to run out and buy a computer, its not like the internet blossoms with a united community.

I think there a problems with a clear picture of reality if one has ambitions of a state being united by technology.

Even if we are to accept the wild claim that technology shares a parallel with atheism, ...

Well noted LG. Wild indeed.

it simply unifies the demands of the consumers. IOW even if everyone has to run out and buy a computer, its not like the internet blossoms with a united community.

Again, nicely said.

Well noted LG. Wild indeed.

Again, nicely said.
Actually there's probably a good argument for technology disuniting a community. If you have social conventions that ride off the back of the latest technological advancements, the gap between generations widens at the pace the latest advancements develop.

Actually there's probably a good argument for technology disuniting a community. If you have social conventions that ride off the back of the latest technological advancements, the gap between generations widens at the pace the latest advancements develop.

How bizzarre.
I've actually been running such a line of thought through my head over the past few years. It appears to me that, if anything, contemporary 'advancements' in communication have created an isolationist sensibility....

Interesting room here for an entirely different topic LG....

Atheism also arose to meet certain needs-
I would have thought most atheists would have trouble with this formulation. Since it is a lack of belief, that it was more like theism stopped arising or seeming necessary (logical, certain, etc.)

How bizzarre.
I've actually been running such a line of thought through my head over the past few years. It appears to me that, if anything, contemporary 'advancements' in communication have created an isolationist sensibility....

Interesting room here for an entirely different topic LG....

Internet communication can be tricky: it is based on a split of body and mind - the body is in one geographical location, but the mind at another, and to boot, this split is quite expensive (one has to have a working computer, internet connection etc.).

But we cannot be infinitely satisfied with enduring such a split. I think the ideal would be to have both the body and the mind in the same geographical location.

Consider: IRL, the people who participate in the discussions here would most likely have no avenue to actually meet and discuss things in one geographical location. And even if we did, the reality of our everyday lives would heavily influence the topics and the way we engage in them.

Compensating for it with online forums gives the exchanges a sense of fakeness, as if it was something unreal or stolen, something we cannot actually afford. As if these discussions are a mere philosophical leisure, with no real value or relevance. Which, I am sure, is reflected in the way we go about discussing and the topics we discuss. Intellectual masturbations.

How do you know it's an "illusion"?

You're misinterpreting the definition.
It is 'illusory', because it is an artifice; it is something we create.

What do you consider "real" (as opposed to "illusion")?

Well, that's an entirely different can o' worms...

However, for our purposes here, I would distinguish what is not illusory [notice I avoid saying "real"] by the fact that we have a measure of control over it. Which is to say, in this case, it is an object of our creation.

Even if we are to accept the wild claim that technology shares a parallel with atheism, it simply unifies the demands of the consumers. IOW even if everyone has to run out and buy a computer, its not like the internet blossoms with a united community.
I don't think states are united by technology, it's uniting everyone, or at the very least bringing them into direct communication as never before. I meant that the need to understand our world (global warming, for instance), is more important than religious doctrine and it's corresponding errors in outlook (God will provide, so we don't have to care about the environment).

I would have thought most atheists would have trouble with this formulation. Since it is a lack of belief, that it was more like theism stopped arising or seeming necessary (logical, certain, etc.)
But it can also be characterized as a positive belief in reason and materialism, as with Democritus.

Internet communication can be tricky: it is based on a split of body and mind - the body is in one geographical location, but the mind at another, and to boot, this split is quite expensive (one has to have a working computer, internet connection etc.).

But we cannot be infinitely satisfied with enduring such a split. I think the ideal would be to have both the body and the mind in the same geographical location.

Consider: IRL, the people who participate in the discussions here would most likely have no avenue to actually meet and discuss things in one geographical location. And even if we did, the reality of our everyday lives would heavily influence the topics and the way we engage in them.

Compensating for it with online forums gives the exchanges a sense of fakeness, as if it was something unreal or stolen, something we cannot actually afford. As if these discussions are a mere philosophical leisure, with no real value or relevance. Which, I am sure, is reflected in the way we go about discussing and the topics we discuss. Intellectual masturbations.

Excellent points all around.

See, you've hit on precisely the notion that is irksome, and yet curious, for me: that sense of 'fakeness'. It's this sense of disconnect that seems to be growing. Reminds me of Baudrillard......

I have more to think on this subject.

But it can also be characterized as a positive belief in reason and materialism, as with Democritus.
Atheists do not have to be materialists nor do they even have to prioritize reason - they can be curmudgeons who 'don't go in for that God stuff and trust their gut feelings and their senses." For example. Marrying atheism to materialism and reason, though especially the former, is justifying theists who say that atheism is a philosophy or set of beliefs. I don't if you have challenged your fellow atheists here on this issue, but I suspect you find find quite a bit of resistence from atheists.

As far as materialism and theists...I pointed out on my The Physical thread that the words matter, material, the physical no longer mean what they once did. They include phenomena that are radically ephemeral and I think some of the split with the religious around these words comes down to different language use. I think, in fact, that a better case can be made for energy being fundamental and that metaphors for everything based on words with matter and physical as their roots are misleading in the extreme. This does not mean that religion is now supported by science, but there is no need for religious people not to be materialists anymore, not that most of them realize this. The word has swallowed up all phenomena and any phenomenon that is discovered in the future will aslo be part of the physical and part of materialism. All a religious person has to do is avoid believing in something ruled out - not compatible - with current science.

Given the context, this thread, there is no reason a theist cannot forge ahead with a focus on materialist endeavors and research and use reason. I mean if atheists can vote _________(fill in your hated party) then even the most rational can flip and be irrational once every four years.

And then religions like Buddhism and Hinduism have had materialist branches for a long time.

As far as Democritus while still partially in favor because he rebelled against teleology his atomism has proved misleading and his mechanistic approach only applicable in some contexts. IOW qm causes problems for his approach.

Last edited:
Well, that's an entirely different can o' worms...

However, for our purposes here, I would distinguish what is not illusory [notice I avoid saying "real"] by the fact that we have a measure of control over it. Which is to say, in this case, it is an object of our creation.
Can we control laws?

Doreen said:
Atheists do not have to be materialists nor do they even have to prioritize reason - they can be curmudgeons who 'don't go in for that God stuff and trust their gut feelings and their senses." For example. Marrying atheism to materialism and reason, though especially the former, is justifying theists who say that atheism is a philosophy or set of beliefs. I don't if you have challenged your fellow atheists here on this issue, but I suspect you find find quite a bit of resistence from atheists.
I think they are interchangeable terms. Materialism is the opposite of supernatural-ism.
Doreen said:
As far as materialism and theists...I pointed out on my The Physical thread that the words matter, material, the physical no longer mean what they once did. They include phenomena that are radically ephemeral and I think some of the split with the religious around these words comes down to different language use. I think, in fact, that a better case can be made for energy being fundamental and that metaphors for everything based on words with matter and physical as their roots are misleading in the extreme. This does not mean that religion is now supported by science, but there is no need for religious people not to be materialists anymore, not that most of them realize this. The word has swallowed up all phenomena and any phenomenon that is discovered in the future will aslo be part of the physical and part of materialism. All a religious person has to do is avoid believing in something ruled out - not compatible - with current science.
I count energy as material, I thought that was a given.
Doreen said:
Given the context, this thread, there is no reason a theist cannot forge ahead with a focus on materialist endeavors and research and use reason.
In every other area of life, I suppose they can still use reason. We should call that non-overlapping magisteria. Scientists have lived with this dichotomy for some time.
Doreen said:
As far as Democritus while still partially in favor because he rebelled against teleology his atomism has proved misleading and his mechanistic approach only applicable in some contexts. IOW qm causes problems for his approach.
I would never argue that his primitive form of atomic theory was totally correct, but it was astoundingly similar to how things really are. Quantum mechanics don't leave much room for supernatural premises, if that's what you imply.

Watched a number of episodes the other day on the Life series narrated by David Attenborough. In one episode he said that survival is what life is all about. I'm sure that statement is likely to be disputed by a number of forum members. So it got me to thinking.....if what he said is true then theism and atheism plays some type of survival role in our lives.

Now I'm not sure if both can co-exist and aid in our survival but maybe it can. Possibly one is the key to our survival. Then again one or both may contribute nothing to our survival. Either way it doesn't mean much unless you think Attenborough is correct.

Could it be that either theism or atheism is dragging us towards certain doom or is one necessary to help prevent our demise?

Theism is about Survival, Eternal Survival with God.

Civilization is heading for ecological doom, does not matter how theological or atheistic it is. Humans are doomed to stuff this world up. It's just a question as to how they eventually do it.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

Actually, people give theological reasons why they shouldn't care about the environment.

Actually, people give theological reasons why they shouldn't care about the environment.

Excellent point.

When one's concerns are directed towards some 'other world' than this one, one has little reason to care what happens to it...

Back