Do we have too many laws?

Xelios

We're setting you adrift idiot
Registered Senior Member
In the US the Federal Criminal Code is so big that even the Congressional Research Service has lost track of how many laws there are. The books they're written in total 27,000 pages, written in small print with 2 columns per page, taking up over 25 feet of shelf space. And that's just Federal law.

This thread isn't just about US law, but it's the only country I could find information for. So I ask you, do we have too many laws? Shouldn't passing a new law be a big deal? Do you believe you can go through a normal day without breaking any law?

phoenix2634
then i hope you lose your licence before you kill someone

Xelios
most law isnt criminal, i would GUESS that the majority is actually admistritive, ie how the courts, goverment departments, parliament ect run

and no i dont ever want to see a situation where murder or rape are removed from the criminal code in a stupid atempt to always "remove two laws to add one"

and no i dont ever want to see a situation where murder or rape are removed from the criminal code in a stupid atempt to always "remove two laws to add one"
Well then it's a good thing I'm not suggesting that.

What I'd suggest is that every new law come up for review 2 years after it's introduced, then again in 4 years, then again in 8, 16, 32 and if 64 years after it's enacted it's still found to be a) effective, b) relevant and c) practical then it's probably a good law.

So I ask you, do we have too many laws

I would think that it isn't that we have to many laws, it is we never seem to use them as they were intended for. Then we make more laws because we forgot about the laws already written, only changing them to fit the new wording of the era.

Last edited:
I would think that it isn't that we have to many laws, it is we never seem to use them as they were intended for. Then we make more laws because we forgot about the laws already written, onlyy changing them to fit the new wording of the era.

Yeah, and don't forget that new laws have to be written in order to void old, unworkable or unwanted laws. Probably half of the new laws are actually old laws rewritten or voiding old laws.

Baron Max

I do think we have too many laws. Most of them are a way of collecting taxes without actually taxing. Taxation without representation, I guess. Like speed traps, where one section of road is 45 mph, then you cross an imaginary line and it becomes 30 mph.

I can't go a day without breaking a law, because I go at least 5mph over the speed limit. Everyone does. Even my 71-year-old mother does (She's a good driver, though).

What a great non-argument you little fascist.

Oh yeah, it takes 27,000 pages of legal document to prohibit rape & murder :rolleyes:

no it doesnt but they are not the only laws on the books, take the concent to medical treatment act for example. Its purpose is to empower people to make decisions about how there health care will be delivered

is that a bad law?

Yes the crimes consolitation acts are PROBABLY the single biggest acts on the australian books they are just one set of legislation

As long as it is harder to get laws off than it is to get laws on, this problem will continue.

Yes we have too many laws.
I like the purpose behind this...
What I'd suggest is that every new law come up for review 2 years after it's introduced, then again in 4 years, then again in 8, 16, 32 and if 64 years after it's enacted it's still found to be a) effective, b) relevant and c) practical then it's probably a good law.
...but I can't help but wonder if:
It will create far too much red tape to be managable.
It will allow for lawmakers to conveniently forget to renew a law for a deep-pocketed buddy.
It will cause for constant fluctuation in laws with every new breeze that blows through congress and every representative who needs a favor and THIER law refreshed.

Perhaps every 20 years?

There is the statutory law (written law) and the common law (unwritten). I agree to many laws. The solution to every problem is not a law.

Poisoning: Lungs vs. World

Baron Max said:

What if those things affect people and/or society indirectly?

Well pointed, sir, but why this time, and not others?

Not you, personally, but theoretically: What value should we give those affected indirectly in the equation? With issues far more serious than this, that value is often very little.

:m:

Here are some interesting laws from Kansas:

Rabbits may not be shot from motorboats.
Pedestrians crossing the highways at night must wear tail lights.
No one may catch fish with his bare hands.
The state game rule prohibits the use of mules to hunt ducks.
If two trains meet on the same track, neither shall proceed until the other has passed.

Before proceeding through the interesection of Douglas and Broadway, a motorist is required to get out of their vehice and fire three shot gun rounds into the air.

Any person caught using or carrying bean snappers or the like shall upon conviction, be fined. -City ordinance 349 of Wichita, Kansas.

Back