Do DEMONS deceive us? How?

They whisper into our ears and cause us Sin, Christianity teaches, or more specifically the Devil does iirc. [Shatan/Iblis in Islam]

So hearing voices would just be a means for their deceptions. How about slight twisting of words and meanings.

I didn't literally mean hearing voices as the mentally ill do. I did not even say "hearing voices". Their whisper may not necessarily be a physical one, but an evil thought, such as a lustful thought that appears in your mind for a millisecond or longer, could be such a whisper. :)

i think "demons" are just psychological things.. maybe we shouldn't use the word demon today.

into the realms of fantasy once again, demons whisper in our ears wtf are you saying, and santas going to bring you lots of presents too, wtf there deceptions you'll give yourselves nightmare with you delusional imaginings. WOW.

craterchains (Norval said:
What do you know about their deceptions?

They make you think that you are ugly when you are beautiful, and they make you think that you are beautiful when you're ugly.
And most of all, they make you think that love must be earned or it isn't love. And that one must first be lovable before one can be loved.

And all ideal knowledge about demons is in the bible. But then some would rather demonstrate the way they deceive us. LOL

water said:
They make you think that you are ugly when you are beautiful, and they make you think that you are beautiful when you're ugly.
And most of all, they make you think that love must be earned or it isn't love. And that one must first be lovable before one can be loved.
Sounds to me more like low self-esteem.
Why would you attribute this to demons?

~Raithere

If demons were really tricky, they would have appeared soon after Jesus was gone and invented a cult based on his life that would serve both to supress his teaching and make people think they were following in his footsteps...

...oh wait, they did, and it's called Christianity.

water said:
And all ideal circles are perfectly round ...
absolutely correct, well done.
craterchains (Norval said:
And all ideal knowledge about demons is in the bible.
yes and mentioned just over 50 time but none refer to killing anyone, however theres nearly 700 evil deeds done by god or for and on his behalf, and literally millions were killed.
I think youy have it arse about face, sir.
demons are not the baddies.

incidently I have no belief in either god/gods or demons/devils.

And just maybe they are nasty "wanna be" people.

They seem to be very jealous of mankind also. Must be a love hate thingy.

Raithere said:
Sounds to me more like low self-esteem.
Why would you attribute this to demons?

"Low self-esteem" is a certain psychological explanation (valid in the psychology discourse) of a phenomenon that can, within some *other* discourse, be also called a demon.

Many discourses can speak about the same thing, but they speak about them with different explanatory power and offer different solutions, with different efficacy.

Say "Peter has low self-esteem", and you make this low self-esteem to be something inherent to Peter, and Peter will never really get rid of it. Peter loses his dignity.
Make this low self-esteem to be a thing that has an external cause and is not inherent to Peter, and it will be easier to get rid of it, and make Peter healthy. Peter keeps his dignity.

water said:
Many discourses can speak about the same thing, but they speak about them with different explanatory power and offer different solutions, with different efficacy.
I don't really take issue with using different approaches but it seems to me the concept of a demon is particularly burdened with cultural and psychological baggage.

Make this low self-esteem to be a thing that has an external cause and is not inherent to Peter, and it will be easier to get rid of it, and make Peter healthy. Peter keeps his dignity.
I disagree. While I don't consider psychology a real science, low-self esteem can be addressed directly. It also puts the responsibility upon Peter to address the issue. Alternatively, once demons are accepted into a world-view they would be always existent. Further, and more importantly to my perspective, they alleviate personal responsibility. Peter's problems are not his to resolve, not caused by his perception of himself, but the malign intent of hostile forces, ever present.

~Raithere

Some good conjecture going here, but I hear the sounds of "clashing cymbals" because
of not knowing all the facts about "demons" before starting the conjecturing.

Back