Votes: 1 5.6%
  • No

Votes: 10 55.6%
  • Occasionally

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Other

Votes: 3 16.7%

• Total voters
The Free Speech thing is what really gets me. If it's not "a disruption to learning," why cant I say it?

Edit: In schools
If you're being forced to go to school against your will, why should feel obligated to not disrupt the learning environment?

now this action alone could show that she has the maturity to understand the conquesnces of her actions and there for has a right to both medical confidenuality AND treatment

Exactly. :)

My children only have the rights I tell them they have. Legally they may have more, but I'm sure not gonna tell them that.

If you're being forced to go to school against your will, why should feel obligated to not disrupt the learning environment?

The discussion could continue into jail:
"If I'm being forced to be there, why should I feel obligated to not disrupt the place", but I wouldn't recommend it :p

I think in order to do relatively well in a society, you've got to feel like you're a productive member of it. If not, things tend to go downhill I believe.

I can't say that I enjoyed all the time I had in school. I think I'm lucky that my mother got me out of public schools by grade 7 and I only went back to them at the very ending (grade 11/12ish). I definitely agree that sometimes it's good to be 'disruptive'. The problem is it can be difficult to tell when.

When I was in school, I generally tried to keep my head down; I had enough problems without adding more. Actually, with teachers I generally did ok; I'm the oldest sibling in my family and I think I could definitely associate with teachers, seeing as I always looked up to my own parents as my 'educating peers', if you will. But with other students, it wasn't so easy for me.

My children only have the rights I tell them they have. Legally they may have more, but I'm sure not gonna tell them that.

Not really a strategy I'd recommend, although If I had kids, I definitely think I'd apply the "as long as you're living under my roof" phrase. If they find someone else who'll take care of them and they're at the aoc, I may try to persuade them not to go but unless I have a -really- bad feeling about the person they want to be with, I'm not going to be stopping them from walking out the door.

The discussion could continue into jail:
"If I'm being forced to be there, why should I feel obligated to not disrupt the place", but I wouldn't recommend it :p
Sure, they have the physical power to force you to do it. I was thinking more along the lines of whether or not you have any sort of moral/ethical responsibility. It's fine for someone to say "You have to give up some of your rights to be here. If you don't like it, leave." It's quite another to say "You have to give up some of your rights to be here, and we are going to force you to be here."

Not really a strategy I'd recommend, although If I had kids, I definitely think I'd apply the "as long as you're living under my roof" phrase.....

I've never said that. I can just imagine them saying "Fin! I won't live here then" and they would run away.

I've never said that. I can just imagine them saying "Fine! I won't live here then" and they would run away.

They've got some place lined up to go? I know I certainly didn't at that age, laugh :p. Anyway, they don't need your permission to run away, they could just pack their bags and do it; and many children do, if they really don't like their home situation. Frankly, though if your children want to run away.. I'm sorry, but I would seriously question your parenting skills. I went so far as to tell my parents I would spit on their graves and I had a few physical fights with my dad (just a few), but I only once contemplated running away, when I turned 17. I think my mom was fairly wise, though, because she arranged for me to go live with someone she knew for a while instead. She felt that being out of the home would be good for me and I think she was right. She kicked me out for good when I was 21 (she knew I would go to live with my dad, who separated with her at that time). She still helps me out a bit, but that's the last time I actually lived with her. They were somewhat more protective of my younger sister, but she managed to have sex at 13 anyway. She apparently regretted it, but I'm almost sure nothing came of it (pregnancy, stds). She may well have used protection, but I have never asked..

I hate conflict and if my children were so eager to leave my place and had the means to do it (and I felt reasonably sure that the person they were going with wasn't a bad person), I would much rather give them wings then have them doing the equivalent of making that icky chalk scraping sound on a blackboard.

Both my parents essentially left home before hitting adulthood. My mother went off to study at a boarding school and my father went off as well (I think he may have gone to live with a girlfriend, but he continued to study).

Last edited:
Sad but true story. I have(basically. I don't technically own it but I can live/crash there whenever and nobody lives there) a house that's fairly nice and fully paid for. What did I pay for it? 20k honor/week in World of Warcraft :D

Back