Do atheists indocrinate their children into their belief system?

jan said:
And what grounds do you accuse theism as pure acceptance of complete hearsay?
For one: On the grounds that you represent many of them, and as you have said many times here you accept completely the assertions of your Scripture (the Christian Bible) as you understand them.

The assertions of the Christian Bible are largely hearsay.

The drastic difference in method is in presenting things as proposals and points of view, rather than presenting them as FACTS, which would be caracterized as indoctrination

telling a chidren:

there is no proof that there is a god

is different than telling him:

there is no god

On the one hand, I think most atheists would take the "there's no proof" tact. On the other, I'm not sure it's reasonable for you to presume that they should. What's next? "Well, Johnny, there's no evidence that there are any monsters under your bed tonight, but who knows?"

I told my children that some people believe in God, some don't and others say they don't know.

As for the rest, let's look under your bed, Johnny. and I bet we'll find no monsters !

And what grounds do you accuse theism as pure acceptance of complete hearsay?

For one: On the grounds that you represent many of them,

I represent many of what? Theism?

...and as you have said many times here you accept completely the assertions of your Scripture (the Christian Bible) as you understand them.

Are you sure that's what I said?

The assertions of the Christian Bible are largely hearsay

That doesn't mean theism is based on purely on hearsay. Does it?

Jan.

On the one hand, I think most atheists would take the "there's no proof" tact. On the other, I'm not sure it's reasonable for you to presume that they should. What's next? "Well, Johnny, there's no evidence that there are any monsters under your bed tonight, but who knows?"

have you ever demeaned a child's fear, only to find out there was a big spider there?

Why do you need to question my belief?

I question the beliefs of others mostly because they seem to have something that I want to have too - faith, self-confidence, peace of mind, certainty.
So I try to understand those people and see what instructions they can give me on how to get that faith, self-confidence, peace of mind, certainty.

Many people don't understand my drive and tend to think that I am merely picking on them.

I question the beliefs of others mostly because they seem to have something that I want to have too - faith, self-confidence, peace of mind, certainty.
So I try to understand those people and see what instructions they can give me on how to get that faith, self-confidence, peace of mind, certainty.

Many people don't understand my drive and tend to think that I am merely picking on them.

You have faith in hoping to gain self-confidence, peace of mind, and certainty, by questioning others. Everybody has faith, otherwise we wouldn't do anything or go anywhere.

My theistic faith is based on experience, common sense, and what I understanding of the situation I am in. No different, I would guess than yours.

Jan.

My theistic faith is based on experience, common sense, and what I understanding of the situation I am in. No different, I would guess than yours.

I suspect that your faith is significantly different than mine, that you have significantly more peace of mind than I do.

You have faith in hoping to gain self-confidence, peace of mind, and certainty, by questioning others. Everybody has faith, otherwise we wouldn't do anything or go anywhere.

Jan.

You aren't differentiating between faith (belief without evidence) and trust (belief with evidence).

You aren't differentiating between faith (belief without evidence) and trust (belief with evidence).

We can be fairly sure of certain things and events, and can therefore place trust, due to what we know of them. But what we know is far from complete.
We place faith in that which we cannot be certain, in the hope that we are correct. It all boils down to certainty.

Jan.

We can be fairly sure of certain things and events, and can therefore place trust, due to what we know of them.

It's called getting educated and understanding the world around us.

But what we know is far from complete.
We place faith in that which we cannot be certain, in the hope that we are correct. It all boils down to certainty.

So, after telling us we can be sure of things that we know, which is based on scientific inquiry and experimentation, you now say that we should embrace blind faith to understand what we don't know?

If it boils down to certainty, then there is certainty that blind faith has got nothing to offer and that scientific inquiry is how we get to know things.

Back