Do animals Lie?

Sometime ago I read a very explicit (pun intended) article about a non-dominant male chimp "getting some" from a female while both hid the appropriate body parts behind a fruit bush. They pretended that they were foraging from said bush, while in reality they were having a little illicit "fun" - but I am unable to find that reference now.

Here is a site with a number of alleged animal "lies", including chimps:
Cheating Chimps

Scientists who study monkeys and apes have reported a wide range of deceptive behaviors, particularly among chimpanzees. Chimps bluff, give warning calls when there is no predator in sight, do all sorts of sneaky things behind the troop leader's back, and try to outsmart each other.

In one example, a chimp named Yeroen, who had been the alpha, or top, male of a group of chimps at the Arnhem Zoo in the Netherlands, began limping badly after he was hurt in a fight with Nikkie, the new alpha male. But Yeroen only bothered to limp when he was within sight of Nikkie. As soon as he turned a corner or circled behind Nikkie, the limp mysteriously disappeared.

Other animals mentioned on the same page include "Phony Fish", "Insect Impostors" and "Bluffing Birds", and there are two more pages to go that I didn't bother to read - I was trying to find the story about the horny chimps that I mentioned earlier...

Again: Do animals Lie?

Sometime ago I read a very explicit (pun intended) article about a non-dominant male chimp "getting some" from a female while both hid the appropriate body parts behind a fruit bush. They pretended that they were foraging from said bush, while in reality they were having a little illicit "fun" - but I am unable to find that reference now.

Here is a site with a number of alleged animal "lies", including chimps:

Other animals mentioned on the same page include "Phony Fish", "Insect Impostors" and "Bluffing Birds", and there are two more pages to go that I didn't bother to read - I was trying to find the story about the horny chimps that I mentioned earlier...

Again: Do animals Lie?

Thanks for those!

Back