Disproving a Personal God with Science

Sorry, unethical to proclaim a supposition as truth and fact. No substance. No proof, no pudding. Preaching.
Well you can at least say that with the reformation there grew a lot of new denominations all preaching something different. So, the pure truth, whether its islam, lutheran, or Catholicism, becomes harder to find because there are more choices.

If you meant the first part as the supposition about our job to convert the world, well Christ told us to when he said "Go forth and make disciples of all nations" So, we have a divine calling to back up our converting nature.

Now, if you are saying that the Catholic Church as the truth is the supposition, then as a Catholic I would say that becomes a little harder. We have all the biblical backings to go to say that. And even if I couldn't convince you, I believe that it is the truth. And if it is the truth, it is my duty to help lead others to the truth because their lives may hinge on it. Besides Father Barron in this video was more concentrated on the fact that people aren't taking religion seriously and just change around from one to the other without really looking into it and finding which one is the truth.

So, the pure truth, whether its islam, lutheran, or Catholicism, becomes harder to find because there are more choices.

This is still claiming a truth somewhere among them without fact. That people write down some history is fine, but not the suppositions of God as fact.

I agree with Fr. Barron. We have the wrong mentality when it comes to religion. Many people just find something interesting in the religion that they like, or they like the feel of the church. Most don't take the time to actually truly delve deep and figure out which religion is the church that God himself has established. You can't say you truly looked into it if you were a baptist for 3 years then became a presbyterian for a decade and then converted to buddhism. You can't say they took their religion seriously at least in the beginning. They didn't look deep enough. So, unfortunately, we don't look to where God is calling the world. We don't try and find the true church when we drift from church to church every 5 years.

Yet, our job is to convert others to the truth, to where God is calling the world. Unfortunately, because of the reformation, the truth is harder to find. That doesn't mean we stop trying to lead others to the truth. That doesn't mean God isn't calling the world to the truth. Father Barron was just criticizing the fact that we make it our decision and what we like instead of where God is calling the whole world and what is the truth.

But as a proselytizer, you per default claim that

it is the person's own decision

which religion they will choose.

Most don't take the time to actually truly delve deep and figure out which religion is the church that God himself has established.

How are we supposed to figure out which religion is the church that God himself has established? It's not like we are omniscient.

We don't try and find the true church when we drift from church to church every 5 years.

Surely if someone drifted from Islam to Protestantism to Catholicism, you wouldn't criticize them for drifting, right?

Yet, our job is to convert others to the truth, to where God is calling the world. Unfortunately, because of the reformation, the truth is harder to find. That doesn't mean we stop trying to lead others to the truth. That doesn't mean God isn't calling the world to the truth. Father Barron was just criticizing the fact that we make it our decision and what we like instead of where God is calling the whole world and what is the truth.

What makes you think you know the truth and others do not??

I have invited you to several threads with other theists, to confront the two of you. Rarely, there was much discussion. Why?

Why don't you, for example, try to lead Lightgigantic, Jan Ardena, Cifo, Sam Scifes or Adstar to the truth?

Sadhana does seem to be "cultural religion."
why?
because the tradition can be traced to a geographical tract of land?

No.
But because of its rationalistic, selective, ego-driven aspects.

Namely, "culture" is something we can choose, argue about, be selective about, defend, claim to be experts in, use it for self-presentation, against others, shift to and from.

Religion is characteristically not like that; at least as far as I understood religion.

For me, the issue is that upon joining a church, any church, one has to believe and vow that said church is divine and infallible, that it is the one and only, or at least the best path to God.

if by church you mean ecclesiastical administration, you are not really approaching the issue sadhana

Sadhana is prescribed by the ecclesiastical administration and hierarchy.

That is a vow that I do not find easy to make.

It doesn't make sense to me to believe that The Absolute Truth could be arrived at via one's personal likes or dislikes, or by a decision-making process like listing and assessing the pros and cons.

So the absolute truth is so sublime we are constitutionally devoid of any qualities that resonate with it?

This is one of the first things a newcomer to religion is likely to hear, yes.
"You don't have a clue, you're a rascal. Sit and listen. Don't think, don't feel, don't talk, don't ask any questions."
As I have been telling you over and over.

And if one doesn't get the you-clueless-rascal treatment, then at least one gets the guilt-trip of
"You know God and you know what God wants, but you are wilfully rejecting Him!"
Once one hears them from proselytizers of different religions, each of them having their own, quite different ideas about who God is and what God wants, the whole thing gets a little bizzare, to say the least.

Does that make our existence constitutionally separate from the absolute truth?

Ha ha, try to speak straighforwardly to a theist about that corollary! :bawl:

Because there is more to do be done for the cause of spirituality than god choosing people from a state of total oblivion - eg sadhana

And it's your sadhana to talk to people?

And I'm supposed to believe that you are acting for the cause of spirituality, and that Mind Over Matter is acting for the cause of spirituality, and Jan and all the others?

Why don't you try to convert Mind Over Matter? Or Cifo, Sam, Adstar etc.?

You can't talk about falleness period unless you have some clue what you are fallen from

People keep telling me I am fallen. I myself am not so sure. Not that I think I am not fallen. Just that there are many ways to look at this.

For example, most theists often strike me as upset, angry, hostile. I am not eager to follow or worship someone whom I perceive as upset, angry, hostile. In fact, I find it repugnant to do so.

Then I guess you have a working model for saintliness

even a doctor will tell a sick patient that the path to recovery will involve tremendous hardship and pain. This doesn't mean that healthy life is characterized by hardship and pain

It is not the same.

Hardship and pain are one thing; repugnance is something else.
Repugnant is that which one finds immoral, irrational, unacceptable, wrong.

In spiritual matters, at no point should a person have to do things they find repugnant in order to make spiritual progress.
Because having to do repugnant things for the sake of spiritual progress would mean that our existence is constitutionally separate from the Absolute Truth; that the Absolute Truth is so sublime that we are constitutionally devoid of any qualities that resonate with it.

No, I don't consider her saintly. But that is just my opinion. If it is the objective truth, that I do not know.

regardless you still are presenting some clue of saintliness, so your previous comments about how there is no way to fathom who is saintly doesn't hold

What I see as being unresolvable here is the problem of many perspectives - how to figure out which idea of saintliness is the right one and which one to go with.

Are you a practitioner of sadhana siddhi? Is that why we are having these talks?

What on earth makes you think it would have been otherwise?

What would have been otherwise?
Couldn't you be a kripa-siddhi?

And if you are a practitioner of sadhana siddhi, how did you, prior to taking up sadhana, decide that the one course of sadhana you are going to practice, is the right one?

Surely you must have had an awareness of your own fallible human nature.
But despite this fallible human nature, you somehow figured out which religion is the right one; or at least you believe you have figured it out. How did that go?
Why didn't you choose Roman Catholicism, or another math, for example?

Meanwhile back at square #1:

The argument says theists have to prove their case.

Because when we dream, we see images, this is enough of a case for myself to consider that there is a possibility the brain can "light" the mind, in that sense. So it isn't that big of a leap to "light in my mind", at least, not for me. But I can see it anytime, I just have to focus, eyes open or closed, on "where" it is.
How would you explain it? Why would you feel the need to explain it?

You are able to justify belief in theism to yourself? I realize that's what most people do. But of course, the imagination is a powerful thing, it hardly takes science to say that what we envision may not reflect what happens in the outside world.

Additionally, secular religions have also found profound changes in the mind to be possible, so it doesn't depend on faith in god.

How are we supposed to figure out which religion is the church that God himself has established? It's not like we are omniscient.

Surely if someone drifted from Islam to Protestantism to Catholicism, you wouldn't criticize them for drifting, right?

What makes you think you know the truth and others do not??

<snip>
Because I can find visible flaws and contradicitions in the teachings of most other denominations and religions.

I'm not buddhist or hindu because I don't believe in reincarnation and I don't think the whole point of life is to eventually reach Nirvana (a state of nothing). I'm not a Jew because I believe Christ is God (nor am I a muslim for that same reason). I'm not scientologist because I don't believe in thetans or the teachings of a science fiction writer who said if you want to make money start a religion. I'm not agnostic because thats silly to sit on the fence with a decision of this sort. I'm not an atheist because I believe there needs to be a first cause which we call God. I'm Catholic because it seems to line up well with all my other beliefs about the world and the Bible (it also helps to be raised in the church :) )

How would you explain it? Why would you feel the need to explain it?

If the eternal destiny of mankind depends on having the right understanding of God (and according action), and if failing to do so leads to permanent and irrepairable damage,
then theists have the moral obligation to convince everyone, and the burden is solely on the theists.

That is if we agree that it is immoral to let someone burn in hell for all eternity.

spidergoat said:
You are able to justify belief in theism to yourself?
Actually I don't believe "in" theism.
I believe that I don't need a theory as such. It's like when you put headphones on to listen to music, you don't need to know about how speakers or your ears work to understand why you can hear it.

Theism goes further than the question of God's existence. The nature of God is perceivable, no discussion is required. It answers the same question, and questions beyond that, like "what is it?", or "why can I perceive it" are kind of meaningless.

Signal said:
theists have the moral obligation to convince everyone, and the burden is solely on the theists.
The burden is solely on each individual to convince themselves whether something is true or false. That is, it's up to you to find out, it isn't someone else's job.

Signal said:
Really? You believe in a dog-eat-dog God?
I don't follow.

If you're hungry, do you wait around for someone else to bring you some food, or get off your ass and get something to eat yourself?

Have you tried eating dog? I've never had the opportunity myself.

I don't follow.

If you're hungry, do you wait around for someone else to bring you some food, or get off your ass and get something to eat yourself?

In that case, how is belief in God to be distinguished from effectual solipsism?

Signal said:
In that case, how is belief in God to be distinguished from effectual solipsism?
I don't know. How do you distinguish your belief in food from your desire to eat?

Signal said:
What do you mean by "my belief in food"?
That I believe that food exists?
If you like.

How would you distinguish your belief in food from solipsism, since although you can share your food you can't share the experience of eating?

Back