Disproving a Personal God with Science

Declaring "all theists make straw man arguments" is the voice of intimacy?

No, that is already the sign of the apathy that comes after having one's intimacy ridiculed.

Spidergoat went to a religious school where he had to recite (under threat of punishment) religious texts every morning, even though he didn't believe them.
That sort of pressure tends to alienate people from religion early on.

None of those are relevant if they are of the attitude you expressed earlier).

Then they are not the clientele.
I was talking about the clientele.

points number 2, 4, 5, 6, and 7 don't float with your notion that it is all self referential.

We would still need to get past step 1.
Sure, once we are past step 1, the other things may follow.
But we cannot even get past step 1 without blind faith (or a personal call from God).

If you can determine that the solution lies within scripture its not a mystery.

If there was no objective sense to it you wouldn't see a general consensus on saintliness ("all kinds of people" .... hardly).

Perhaps we should all become Protestants or ritviks, right? :rolleyes:

No, that is already the sign of the apathy that comes after having one's intimacy ridiculed.

Spidergoat went to a religious school where he had to recite (under threat of punishment) religious texts every morning, even though he didn't believe them.
That sort of pressure tends to alienate people from religion early on.
so two wrongs (spidergoat's bad childhood experiences and his current rude behaviour) make a right?

Then they are not the clientele.
I was talking about the clientele.
its not so much the clientele but the attitude you expressed

We would still need to get past step 1.
Sure, once we are past step 1, the other things may follow.
But we cannot even get past step 1 without blind faith (or a personal call from God).
step one is basically "learn from someone who knows"

basically you are complaining that there is no way to know before one knows something

:shrug:

Perhaps we should all become Protestants or ritviks, right? :rolleyes:
Or perhaps just saintly. Its something even a Mayavadi is capable of.

so two wrongs (spidergoat's bad childhood experiences and his current rude behaviour) make a right?

No. It's just that having a go at him is not helpful: nobody feels any better, nobody gets convinced of the validity of the other's position, hostility is on the rise, and then all parties (and readers) become apathetic.

I've been thinking about how to approach these discussions - should all the statements be simply taken at face value, or should each poster try to accomodate for the other's "neuroses."

Addressing all the statements at what seems to be face value may seem like the straightforward thing to do - but practice shows that this approach often doesn't lead anywhere, and the same fights are fought out over and over again, for years.

On the other hand, if one collects some personal information, the apparent hostility of a poster can be explained.
I am sure that a skilled theist should be able to talk to even a militant atheist in a way that doesn't push his buttons.

The greater responsibility is here on the theists, for they are the ones claiming to have The Solution.
Real faith is one that can withstand all doubts and all questions.

Last edited:
No. It's just that having a go at him is not helpful: nobody feels any better, nobody gets convinced of the validity of the other's position, hostility is on the rise, and then all parties (and readers) become apathetic.

I've been thinking about how to approach these discussions - should all the statements be simply taken at face value, or should each poster try to accomodate for the other's "neuroses."

Addressing all the statements may seem like the straightforward thing to do - but practice shows that this approach often doesn't lead anywhere, and the same fights are fought out over and over again, for years.

On the other hand, if one collects some personal information, the apparent hostility of a poster can be explained.
I am sure that a skilled theist should be able to talk to even a militant atheist in a way that doesn't push his buttons.

The greater responsibility is here on the theists, for they are the ones claiming to have The Solution.
Real faith is one that can withstand all doubts and all questions.
lead anywhere?

what do you have in mind?

its not so much the clientele but the attitude you expressed

What about that attitude?
Could you repeat what exactly you mean by "that attitude", for the sake of clarity?

step one is basically "learn from someone who knows"

basically you are complaining that there is no way to know before one knows something

Sure.

Except that someone who doesn't know, also isn't able to discern who knows.

Or perhaps just saintly. Its something even a Mayavadi is capable of.

I don't consider Mother Theresa to be saintly, for example.

lead anywhere?

what do you have in mind?

Like conversion, or at least a change in how one goes about their daily life or how one approaches communication, for example.

What is the point of discussing something if it doesn't lead to a goal?

My default in these discussions is to think that theists want others to convert to their particular religion.

Oh sure. As long as you first of all restrict the nature of God to be "sapient life with god-like qualities", then "as long as that life form has touched reality in any way".

Of course. The first part opens the definition of god to being an intelligent self-aware thinking entity that can potentially do anything, know everything, and be everywhere. The second part restricts the criteria for showing a particular claim of god being false... specifically god would have to interact with reality in some way.

What if God isn't a sapient being or a life form, at least as far as we understand those terms?

If god isn't sapient then it lacks intelligence and self-awareness. That would negate all religions claims of god.

What if the reality is being touched constantly, but we are obliged to pay attention to that?

If reality is always being modified then modifications will leave footprints. If humans are somehow magically obliged not to notice then we can build tools that won't share that restriction.

What if the experience defies logic or is beyond rational thought, in other words is not a function of your intellect?

The only way you can protect god is to claim it exists outside reality and has never interacted with it; however, while that will protect god, it will render it useless as far as human psychology is concerned.

Last edited:
@arfa brane --

No, I'm not hallucinating. I can see this stuff at will.

Doesn't mean that it's not a hallucination. I can force myself to hallucinate at will, but what I see has no bearing on what is really there, that's what makes it a hallucination. As I said, this phenomenon is entirely subjective and thus is susceptible to the liabilities of your all-too-human brain.

No that isn't true either. Only I can look inside my own head. But suppose other people tell you the same thing--they can see light--how do you know they aren't just making it up?

I don't know, that's why personal testimony isn't acceptable as evidence in such matters. But let us put this in a different light.

Suppose I come up to you and tell you that I have a fire breathing dragon in my garage, surely you'd want to see it. I mean the world is littered with myths and legends about dragons(and their slayers) but no one has ever produced a shred of evidence that points to their existence. What an opportunity!

So you go to my garage and look in to find no dragon, lots of junk but no dragon can be found.

"Where's the dragon?" You ask.
"Oh she's right here," I reply. "I neglected to tell you that it's an invisible dragon."
You propose spreading flower on the floor to capture her footprints.
"Good idea," I say, "but this dragon floats in the air."
You suggest using thermal imaging to detect it's invisible, fiery breath.
"Good idea," I say, "but the invisible fire is also heatless."
You'll spray paint the dragon to make her visible.
"Good idea, except she's an incorporeal dragon and the paint won't stick."

For every single test you come up with I come up with a special explanation of why it won't work. What's the difference between an invisible, incorporeal, floating dragon who spits heatless fire and no dragon at all? There's absolutely no discernible at all, and that's one of the points of this thought experiment. Claims that cannot be tested, assertions that are immune to disproof are veridically worthless, and your inability to disprove my contention is not the same thing as proving it right. What I'm asking you to do comes down to believing in the absence of evidence on nothing more than my say-so.

Now(and this is the other point of the experiment), in such a scenario, would you trust, just based on my testimony, that I did indeed have such a dragon in my garage? Or would you start to wonder if it was all in my head? Would having a group of such claims coming from different people improve their validity? No, of course it wouldn't. Argumentum ad populum.

By the way, I got this thought experiment from Carl Sagan's Demon Haunted World, a book that you should seriously pick up.

Yes it is like light. It's bright and shiny and it centers your mind, unlike light you see with your eyes. The sounds are like sound too.

No, it's not like light at all. Not only does this "inner light" lack any energy, wavelength(which are sort of interchangeable), or discernible physical effect, but it is subjective instead of objective. In addition to that this "inner light" isn't made of anything similar to light. This "inner light" is the workings of the brain, programmed by evolution, to do certain things. Light is large numbers of photons and visible light is a large number of photons within a certain range of wavelengths. You say that it's "bright and shiny", but these are not specific characteristics of light, they are shared with other things(such as certain reflective surfaces), furthermore light is not necessarily either bright or shiny. Certain wavelengths of light are completely invisible to us either because they're too energetic(such as X-rays) or not energetic enough(infra-red light).

So, no matter how you wish to slice it, your comparison is hopelessly flawed. There simply aren't enough points of commonality for a comparison to take place. What's really happening here is that your brain is interpreting non-sensory stimuli in the same way it normally interprets sensory stimuli, thus causing a hallucination. Given the complexity of the neural pathways and the fact that the brain can be "trained" to respond to stimuli in a certain way, this is not an uncommon occurrence. In fact it's exceedingly common.

No, it is NOT metaphorical.

I think that you need to look up the word "metaphor" because I don't think it means what you think it means.

Can you breathe metaphorically?

Yes, I can. I can breathe in knowledge or the emotions of those around me just like I can learn by osmosis. Both of these are metaphors, just like your "inner light"

But YOU said that, I didn't.

Actually you did say that. You said, and I'm quoting here, "God is light". Now, light is synonymous with photons, therefore the phrase "God is photons" is syntactically identical to what you said. That you didn't mean that is irrelevant on this point because this is actually what you said. Now, if you meant something different then the fault of the miscommunication lies with you for not adhering to agreed upon definitions or informing us of your personal definition.

I said I can see what I (and a lot of others) call light, inside my head.

And the best, most parsimonious explanation for this is emphathetically not that god is suspending the laws of the universe to send you a message. The best explanation is that you and your colleagues are experiencing auditory and visual hallucinations. This is the explanation that requires the least number of assumptions.

It is not photons of light, and it does not impinge on my retinas.

Then it is not light but some other phenomenon.

How fraking hard is this to understand? Light is made up of photons which are the smallest particle of light and the carrier particle for the electromagnetic force. If "light" isn't made up of photons then it is, by definition, not light. QED.

You're the one who is distracted by your overwhelming need to dismiss my claims.

"Overwhelming need"? No. Perversely sadistic desire? Possibly. However I don't really need to dismiss your claims, the overwhelming majority of them are self-collapsing, no work is needed on my part. I do this mainly for the hidden audience, those who stalk the threads but don't actively participate. The fence sitters and undecideds that could go one way or another. Seeing your arguments thoroughly trounced may be the convincing they need, at the very least it will give them something to think about.

I have stuck on point for this thread. You said that the statement "god is light" can't be empirically disproven(of course this all depends on which god we're talking about, but we were talking about the god of the bible so that solves that problem). Given that photons are light and that photons are completely incapable of fulfilling the role of god as necessitated by the bible, your statement categorically cannot be true. It has been disproven.

The only way you've been able to dangle on the edge of the cliff is by retconning the definition of the word light, playing semantics games, and asserting that a metaphorical usage of the word is literal. I think that I've done a decent job of staying within the bounds of the OP's topic(for the most part).

And I asked you if you believe in your breathing reflex. If you claim you can breathe, how can this be independently verified, and why shouldn't it be dismissed as something you're just making up?

And I refused to bite your trollbait, however if you're that adamant about it I'll tell you.

My breathing reflex can be independently verified by any number of means, it has nothing to do with belief. Visual observation would be enough under most circumstances, however there are several mechanical options as well. For example, we could place a pressure sensitive device across my chest and wrap it in an inflexible band, the oscillation in pressure would indicate my breathing independent of any bias possible. See, again your "impossible" questions are mere child's play for me.

However, I would remind you that this is, once again, a red herring which has nothing to do with the topic of the thread. I indulged you by answering your question, now please stop asking irrelevant questions and stick to the topic.

Since control of breathing is a way to meditate (or, if you like, to experience God), science as such appears to have a problem here.

You're about seventy years behind on the science here. We have many, many ways to monitor vital signs(obviously you've never been to a hospital), including the rate of breathing. We've also independently observed that certain brainstates can reduce or increase breathing and heart rates through the discrete release of chemical stimulants and depressants. Science has no problem with this, nor does it have a problem with introspection/meditation/prayer having an effect on the brain of the one doing it, it's all been observed and documented. And best of all, every single effect of such practices can be easily achieved with no supernatural/spiritual/religious elements at all. They aren't needed.

You call it "experiencing god"(we call it self-reflection and introspection) on baseless grounds. There's no evidence that anything beyond the brain and body are taking part in this experience. Again, you're making unsupported assumptions based on your own ignorance of the subject in question, rather than continue in a vain attempt to catch me in some mistake or fallacy(especially since you can't seem to recognize them) you would do better to spend your time reading up on these subjects so that you aren't so ignorant about them.

Suppose I claim I can control my breathing to the extent I can also control my heartbeat, by slowing it down at will? More unverifiable illusions?

Nope, perfectly verifiable as they produce reactions which we can monitor and observe, both directly and indirectly. However, and I know where you're going with this, this is not a valid comparison for your "inner light", not enough commonalities.

What about that attitude?
Could you repeat what exactly you mean by "that attitude", for the sake of clarity?
that its all self referential, has no relevance outside of the professional field it stands for, etc etc

Sure.

Except that someone who doesn't know, also isn't able to discern who knows.
Most libraries have a general category for it - or even telephone books have wide lists of locations ("places of worship") where one can make a start.

I don't consider Mother Theresa to be saintly, for example.
well then I guess you are simply being spurious when you talk about there being no way to know who knows.

Crunchy Cat said:
he first part opens the definition of god to being an intelligent self-aware thinking entity that can potentially do anything, know everything, and be everywhere.
So, you can see, can't you, that first defining the subject means you are limiting the subject to conform to a rationalisation. It doesn't really matter whose rationalisation it is, only that it is one.
The second part restricts the criteria for showing a particular claim of god being false... specifically god would have to interact with reality in some way.
You've even used the right word: "restricts".
God does interact with reality in some way--you can see and hear this.
If god isn't sapient then it lacks intelligence and self-awareness. That would negate all religions claims of god.
That would be true of all religions, if all religions necessarily restrict God to be what you say God is. Since you can't prove that God is restricted in the way you say, you haven't really addressed anything except an idea, which may be a misconception. You should at least allow that the idea might be wrong, I mean, why shouldn't you?
The only way you can protect god is to claim it exists outside reality and has never interacted with it; however, while that will protect god, it will render it useless as far as human psychology is concerned.
I don't really understand your argument here. What does "protect god" mean?
My claim is that you can see "something" and hear it. If you want to believe it's God, what's the problem? I don't actually have to label it, just experience it.

The psychological aspects are interesting though. I've probably said too much (I haven't said enough), and I'm losing my religion . . .
No, seriously, I used to be religious but eventually realised it was a crock. I think religions are somewhat misguided and often based on restricted ideas of what God really is. Not surprisingly, here you are trying to restrict the subject too.

Last edited:
Arioch said:
For every single test you come up with I come up with a special explanation of why it won't work.
Nonetheless, it does work. For me.
No, it's not like light at all. Not only does this "inner light" lack any energy, wavelength(which are sort of interchangeable), or discernible physical effect, but it is subjective instead of objective.
Yes it is like light, a lot. The physical effects are an immediate focus of my mind, on the light. It has a spectrum that runs from blue to red, golden or yellow in between. Also very bright white light, which is hard to focus on. my mind tends to freak (i.e. be blinded) when the really bright stuff happens. I need to be more relaxed about it.
Then it is not light but some other phenomenon.
Then why does it "look" like light, why is it bright, and why does it seem to emanate from somewhere?
You said, and I'm quoting here, "God is light". Now, light is synonymous with photons, therefore the phrase "God is photons" is syntactically identical to what you said.
If all you want to do is argue in circles, you're doing a really good job. Congratulations, and I hope you pass the audition.
My breathing reflex can be independently verified by any number of means, it has nothing to do with belief. Visual observation would be enough under most circumstances, however there are several mechanical options as well. For example, we could place a pressure sensitive device across my chest and wrap it in an inflexible band, the oscillation in pressure would indicate my breathing independent of any bias possible. See, again your "impossible" questions are mere child's play for me.
Oh. Well, now suppose you want your ability to listen to the sound of your breathing independently verified. You want a scientist to look inside your brain and record the neural responses, then say, make a audio tape as conclusive proof that the neurons are responding to the sound.
However, I would remind you that this is, once again, a red herring which has nothing to do with the topic of the thread. I indulged you by answering your question, now please stop asking irrelevant questions and stick to the topic.
And I'm still waiting to see what the topic actually is. It doesn't seem to be about disproving something after all. So what is it?
Science has no problem with this, nor does it have a problem with introspection/meditation/prayer having an effect on the brain of the one doing it, it's all been observed and documented. And best of all, every single effect of such practices can be easily achieved with no supernatural/spiritual/religious elements at all. They aren't needed.
So there's a recording somewhere of the response to sound from your neurons, when you concentrate on your breathing?--the noise your breath makes as you breathe in and out, if you're at all confused about it.
Science has managed to do this and it can be verified independently: rather than recording the sound of your breath and asking you (i.e. not using an independent test) if that's what you can hear, scientists can record the data directly from your brain and verify that it's the response to the sound?

Incidentally, the techniques have absolutely no supernatural/spiritual/religious aspects at all, they are simply actions you perform, much like brushing your teeth has no supernatural/spiritual/religious aspects--though children are often taught to clean their teeth 'religiously". Notice how I slipped in a metaphor there, in the hope you would see I'm not confused about what a metaphor is.

Last edited:
Most libraries have a general category for it - or even telephone books have wide lists of locations ("places of worship") where one can make a start.

And we're back to Which religion is the right one.

In the city here, I have within walking distance, at least these:
- several Catholic churches,
- a Protestant church,
- a Mormon chapel,
- a Hare Krishna meeting place,
- a Shambhala center,
- a Jewish synagogue,
- a yoga place that also organizes lectures on "spiritual topics",
- a Jehovah's Witnesses meeting place,
- I am sure the local Muslims have a meeting place too, but I don't know about that one,
- a Born Again Christian meeting place.

Within a week, one can meet proselytizers of most of them in the street downtown, or at least they have public advertisements.

Which one to choose, and by what criteria, given that each of them has their own ideas about how people are supposed to come to the right religion?

I posted this earlier, you didn't comment on it, but I'd like you to:

MindOverMatter earlier posted a link to Fr. Barron here.
Look what he says in his comments on Religious Drifters - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YyOGz3XQ-w&feature=related

Esp. at 3.33 he criticizes the idea of choosing a religion; that choosing a religion is about one's ego finally being in command.

And then he talks about how in the Bible, it is God who does the choosing, God summons certain people. He says that "the voice of God is sovereign over our choices" and quotes Jesus - "It is not you who have chosen Me, it is I who have chosen you." He notes that this is the difference between biblical religion and the cultural religion of today.

If God is the one who chooses people, then why do theists proselytize?

Why do theists angrily hold it against people if they don't join their particular religion?

Why do theists present the whole situation as a matter of the individual having to choose the right religion somehow?

The argument could be made that proselytizing is conducive merely to "the cultural religion of today" - but it does not invoke a biblical religion.

well then I guess you are simply being spurious when you talk about there being no way to know who knows.

I do not see my dislike for Mother Theresa as a criterion of "I know who is saintly and who isn't."

I am well aware that my dislike for her is contrary to popular opinion.

I also allow for the possibility that my dislike may be misplaced, and she indeed is saintly, it's just that I, due to my fallenness do not see it.

I find your comment to be very strange. You seem to think that a personal like or dislike counts for "knowing who knows."

Last edited:
Is your claim that 'God' injects new memories in people, new objective knowledge in people, and forcibly causes people to forget things?

The idea is that God is not only in charge of new memories and new knowledge - but of all memories, all knowledge:

BG 15.15 : I am seated in everyone's heart, and from Me come remembrance, knowledge and forgetfulness. By all the Vedas, I am to be known. Indeed, I am the compiler of Vedānta, and I am the knower of the Vedas.

Which makes the whole issue of talking about choosing a religion so much trickier.
If God is the one from Whom come remembrance, knowledge and forgetfulness, then a person has little choice about anything, including religion.

So, you can see, can't you, that first defining the subject means you are limiting the subject to conform to a rationalisation. It doesn't really matter whose rationalisation it is, only that it is one.

Of course arf. The moment anyone issues a specific claim, they are drastically constraining the claim to conform to a rationalization. The only claim you can make of god that would protect it is to claim it to exist outside of reality and to never have interacted with it.

You've even used the right word: "restricts".
God does interact with reality in some way--you can see and hear this.

Correction, you can see and hear the claims. Not the actual claimed phenomenon. What you should be asking is why do the claims exist in the first place. Evolutionary psychology has explored this quite well.

That would be true of all religions, if all religions necessarily restrict God to be what you say God is. Since you can't prove that God is restricted in the way you say, you haven't really addressed anything except an idea, which may be a misconception. You should at least allow that the idea might be wrong, I mean, why shouldn't you?

All religions make very specific claims of god. How he acts, how/when he has created things, how/when he has otherwise interacted with reality. 100% of them are incorrect to date. Rather than trying to revise 'God' to account for not matching reality, why not take a different approach... try and understand why the claim of 'God' exists in the first place?

I don't really understand your argument here. What does "protect god" mean?
My claim is that you can see "something" and hear it. If you want to believe it's God, what's the problem? I don't actually have to label it, just experience it.

It means that people often try to define or undefine 'God' in ways that make it so it cannot be objectively observed. This protects the idea from scrutiny and knowledge about the way reality works.

The psychological aspects are interesting though. I've probably said too much (I haven't said enough), and I'm losing my religion . . .
No, seriously, I used to be religious but eventually realised it was a crock. I think religions are somewhat misguided and often based on restricted ideas of what God really is. Not surprisingly, here you are trying to restrict the subject too.

My advice for what it's worth is to believe in 'God' if you value how you feel more than actual truth. If you don't then question the idea of 'God', understand why it arises, and confront reality for what it is. What you will notice is that 'God' it is a psychological phenomenon resulting from how we evolved as homo sapiens. It's a much harder path to embrace truth than psychological satiation. Be true to yourself when choosing and be honest about your choice.

Back