Did Moses steal the Ten Commandments from the Code of Hammurabi?

MW-You have trumped my financial capacity to get and read books on the subject. I agree with you up to 399 BCE. I think there are probably a few rabbis who might disagree.

http://www.aishdas.org/toratemet/en_torah.html This seems to be a pretty thorough website on what the Jewish position is.
M*W: Sure, there will always be members of religious organizations who would disagree. I, myself, was puzzled by the 399 BCE date, but that was the compilation date, not the date of authorship.

Most of these references can be found on the Internet, although not in entirety. I happen to have a slew of reference books, what I didn't lose in the recent hurricane. I also hit the bookstores a lot and read, even if I don't always buy.

compilation date-big difference from date of authorship. I can roll with 399 bce as a date for compilation. I believe the Jews had recently gotten over being subjugated at that point, and were probably afraid of losing the Torah in a fire or something.

compilation date-big difference from date of authorship. I can roll with 399 bce as a date for compilation. I believe the Jews had recently gotten over being subjugated at that point, and were probably afraid of losing the Torah in a fire or something.
M*W: You are aware that the compilation of both the OT and NT were not compiled in the chronological order in which they were written.

The Book of Job is the most ancient text of the OT. It was written as a drama (play) for entertainment purposes only.

The Gospel of Mark was the first gospel written. There are others that were out of chronological order, but I don't recall them just now.

Dear Medicine Woman,

We have two stages of Society here, the first is a Society that keeps everything in Oral Tradition... they have to be able to memorize and repeat everything. The Second Level of Society can commit information to Writing.

The Moses Society had to simplify. It was Oral. They needed to remember things. To count on their fingers. yes, they had some writing, but that only means they were a Society in transition. The Numbered List was a favorite among Oral Tradition Societies.

Ever study Buddhism. Everything is a numbered list.

Even the Protestants today are moving toward turning the Bible into a Numbered List... you see how they quote scripture, citing first chapter and verse.

Babylon had moved beyond that. They could write out a full legal code.

Did Moses steal it? Well, the question should be whether the Jews stole Moses out of Babylonnian Literature. Scholars can find no reference to Moses or the Books perported to have been written by Moses prior to the Jews stay in Babylon. History also shows that the Name Places from the Books of Moses refer not to the Palestine Region but to the Kashmir Section of India. Apparently the Jews found some Story Books they liked (Babylon was a cosmopolitan crossroads to the World, where could be found many 'story books') and took them for their own... to create a Designer Religion for themselves, to take back to Palestine after their release.

What makes you so sure?

Because the oldest gospel we have is Mark, or is there something else to suggest this?
M*W: I was referring to the first four gospels and not any of the other 'gospels.' It has been confirmed by biblical scholars that Mark was written around 70 AD. The last Pauline Epistle (not necessarily written by anyone named 'Paul,' was written around 68 AD (the year the alleged 'Paul' died). IOW, Mark preceded Matthew, Luke and John. I still find it interesting that the Epistles were written before the gospels.

Also, religious scholars believe that Matthew and Luke were derived out of G. Mark. I don't have references right now.

I was referring to the first four gospels and not any of the other 'gospels.'
So was I.

It has been confirmed by biblical scholars that Mark was written around 70 AD. The last Pauline Epistle (not necessarily written by anyone named 'Paul,' was written around 68 AD (the year the alleged 'Paul' died). IOW, Mark preceded Matthew, Luke and John.

How did they determine that is what I was wondering.
I know they have been able to date the oldest actual books we have, but how did they determine when the originals were written?
There is a vast difference between knowing the age of the oldest copy of a book we have and dating when the original was written.

Back