Did Einstein overthrow Newton?

While we're at it . . .

"Facts do not go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them." - Gould

"Dinosaurs are extinct" - fact or not?

Or does it depend on whether you nail your theoretical colors to the mast of cladism or Ernst Mayr's evolutionary taxonomy or something else?

Last edited:
Baja North Dakota.

To your obs on instrumental v realism, and the ever present risk of incoherence, I'll just say that structural realism seems like the wise middle path. You mentioned it in the STOT thread...

This, in turn, leads others to defend a position known as structural realism, as we've mentioned before. You can't rely on scientific theories being true, and you can't rely on its unobservable postulates being real, but you can rely on the retention of certain relationships even through massive theoretical upheaval. Steven Weinberg, a staunch realist, argues for something like this.

I find this relationship approach appealing, as it directly addresses what most of science observes, viz the relationship between things rather than the things in themselves. I am reminded of Heisenberg remark, "what we observe is not nature in itself but nature exposed to our method of questioning." As a structural realist one can skip the merry-go-round of defining what a field or a force really is, where one is chronically ending up with a circular definition.

Hand-in-glove for recondite physics, eh?

On the other hand, for theories of chimpanzees or dinosaurs or Glasgow Rangers fans . . . doesn't seem all that fitting at all.

"Being a committed structural realist I withhold from making any epistemological claims about the objects of my study. Dinosaurs are theoretical posits, much like quarks, and are not to be taken too seriously. We can, however, be confident about the relationships which obtain between and among these theoretical posits."

- Some sunburned dude in the Gobi desert (or North Dakota) with a ZZ Top beard

Last edited:
So if your theory of phlogiston or miasma . . . or general relativity or evolution . . . appears to be in trouble, you can always posit a "previously unknown planet", or the equivalent thereof (neutrinos, kin selection, dark matter, etc.), in order to reconcile the apparent predictive failure(s) of your theory. Indeed, it's commonplace in science, and everywhere else for that matter.

There can be no definitive falsification or disproof of a theory . . . and it's about time high profile scientists stopped telling the world that the falsifiability of scientific theories qualitatively distinguishes them from the claims of non-science (e.g. "Your woo crap is unfalsifiable therefore not science").

They've had sixty years now to "get the memo"! You might argue it's well intentioned if not entirely correct.

I respond: It is either unscrupulous and dishonest in those who do it knowingly (not at all conducive to trust in the integrity of the scientific community), or else, in those who do it unknowingly, a reflection of an appalling ignorance of the philosophy of science for which there is no excuse. Everyone else knows this!

On page 138 of Jerry Coyne's panegyric "Why Evolution is True", immediately after giving those Creationist dumbbells yet another upbraiding for their theories which are "unfalsifiable" and therefore unscientific, Coyne reminds his readers:

"But if you can't think of an observation that could disprove a theory, that theory simply isn't scientific."

Meanwhile, I remind my readers:

Who let Gould in here !!?? Oh well, he does talk about falsification. So do a million other scientists.

No one, however, has yet addressed my question: What would falsify general relativity? Wanna take a stab?

Still no stabbers?

Last edited:
And a footnote . . .

Lest anyone out there get the wrong impression, I've no objection to anyone launching an attack on anti-evolutionists (Creationism, Intelligent Design, etc.), or vice versa for that matter. What rattles my Nicholas, rather, is the abysmally low level at which these attacks are typically prosecuted.

If you're gonna do it, don't listen to buffoons like Dawkins, Krauss, Coyne, deGrasse Tyson and all the other regulars in our rogues gallery, each one utterly clueless of the philosophy of science, therefore pummeling strawmen and rehashing doctrines (e.g. Coyne and falsifiability above) which have been known for decades to be hopelessly flawed.

If you're gonna do it, do it with integrity, do it intelligently.

Where are you gonna find inspiration then? I've rarely seen a more intelligent critique than that of philosopher of science Philip Kitcher in his book "Abusing Science", and in particular Chapter 2, "Believing Where We Cannot Prove".

A taster . . .

"The time has come to tell a dreadful secret. While the picture of scientific testing sketched above continues to be influential among scientists [think Coyne and Dawkins - axo], it has been shown to be seriously incorrect. [ . . . ]

What is wrong with the old picture? Answer: Either it debars most of what we take to be science from counting as science or it allows virtually anything to count. On the traditional view of "theory," textbook cases of scientific theories turn out to be unfalsifiable. Suppose we identify Newtonian mechanics with Newton's three laws of motion plus the law of gravitation. What observable consequences can we deduce from these four statements? You might think that we could deduce that if, as the (undoubtedly apocryphal) story alleges, an apple became detached from a branch above where Newton was sitting, the apple would have fallen on his head. But this does not follow at all. To see why not, it is only necessary to recognize that the failure of this alleged prediction would not force us to deny any of the four statements of the theory. All we need to do is assume that some other forces were at work that overcame the force of gravity and caused the apple to depart from its usual trajectory. So, given this simple way of applying Popper's criterion, Newtonian mechanics would be unfalsifiable. The same would go for any other scientific theory. Hence none of what we normally take to be science would count as science."

- pp 42-43

Pinball quotes S. J. Gould in post #135 . . .

[ . . . ]

What's so awful about it? Well, what we're being told is that, on the one hand, there is the "raw data" -- the facts -- uncontaminated by any theoretical or conceptual apparatus that we bring to bear on the observation thereof. You might say there is a "theory-neutral" language of observation that we all share. We all see the same facts; though we may construct different theories to explain those facts. Theories may come and go, the Rockies may crumble, and Gibraltar it may tumble, but a fact -- like our love and Vito Corleone's dog -- is here to stay.

Those who subscribe to the school of biological systematics (i.e. taxonomy) known as cladistics or cladism, are committed to the view that modern birds descended from dinosaurs (like most other scientists of any taxonomic persuasion), therefore birds are dinosaurs (unlike rival taxonomists), therefore dinosaurs are not extinct.

Any committed cladist, then, assuming he's not some kind of half-hearted wimp, quite literally sees a dinosaur on his Thanksgiving dinner table, or at least would report seeing one, just as you would assent to seeing both a panda and a mammal on a trip to the zoo.

I don't see a dinosaur on my dinner table. Do you?

Having cladistics confer dinosaur status on the Thanksgiving turkey seems like semantic foolery triumphing over common sense. The real fact in play, afaict, is common ancestry and not a shared identity as giant lizards. So again, it's the relationship, in this case distant divergence from a theropod ancestor, which is where the structural realist would hang his fact hat. I am told the chicken is the closest living relative of T. Rex. Listen, and judge for yourself...

Having cladistics confer dinosaur status on the Thanksgiving turkey seems like semantic foolery triumphing over common sense. The real fact in play, afaict, is common ancestry and not a shared identity as giant lizards. So again, it's the relationship, in this case distant divergence from a theropod ancestor, which is where the structural realist would hang his fact hat. I am told the chicken is the closest living relative of T. Rex. Listen, and judge for yourself...

Ah, but that would suggest all classification systems are arbitrary human constructions, would it not?

This is not the way these guys typically talk: they are carving nature at its joints; these are nature's own divisions, not ours.

And if they're right, their cladistic taxonomy is revealing facts of nature; it's not semantic games.

P.S. Again, you can take a realist or an antirealist view of all this. Are the groupings of systematists real? Or are some taxonomies just more sensible or more useful than others, thus allowing more good scientific work to be done?

Are some taxa (e.g. species) real? Higher taxa too? None of them?

P.P.S. And if taxa are not real, what grounds are there for the often heard claim that humans are not only descended from apes, but we are apes?

P.P.S. And if taxa are not real, what grounds are there for the often heard claim that humans are not only descended from apes, but we are apes?

Having attended football matches in Glasgow, it doesn't strike me as at all implausible. ;)

Well either you are not very bright, or you are being deliberately provocative. Leaving aside your use of the ill-defined concept of "real" taxa, you are surely aware that the term "ape" refers to a class of primates known as hominids, wheras the term "human" is restricted to a species of ape, one of several that together comprise the hominids.

Returning to the OP, Einstein was always at pains ro maintain the sanctity of Newtons Laws. Thus when introducing the Special Theory, he insists that all intertial frames are equivalent by demanding that Newtons Laws remain unchaged irrespective of the choice of coordinates. This, if you care, is called orthogonality.

Similarly, the General Theory is modeled on a 4-manifold, so that, whatever may happen on larger scales, space-time is locally Euckidean, and therefore Newtons Laws are preserved whenever the Special Theory demands it. This is called the weak field limit

In other words, Newtonian physics is seen, at least by Eistein, as a special case of relativistic physics

Well either you are not very bright, or you are being deliberately provocative. Leaving aside your use of the ill-defined concept of "real" taxa, you are surely aware that the term "ape" refers to a class of primates known as hominids, wheras the term "human" is restricted to a species of ape, one of several that together comprise the hominids.

Returning to the OP, Einstein was always at pains ro maintain the sanctity of Newtons Laws. Thus when introducing the Special Theory, he insists that all intertial frames are equivalent by demanding that Newtons Laws remain unchaged irrespective of the choice of coordinates. This, if you care, is called orthogonality.

Similarly, the General Theory is modeled on a 4-manifold, so that, whatever may happen on larger scales, space-time is locally Euckidean, and therefore Newtons Laws are preserved whenever the Special Theory demands it. This is called the weak field limit

In other words, Newtonian physics is seen, at least by Eistein, as a special case of relativistic physics
Ou peut-être les deux, mon général? :)

I feel a little vindicated that I'm not the only one who seems to feel this way. I guess I'm just an early-adopter.
As my (somewhat controversial) post explained, I don't mind the argument being made, even if I don't agree, it's axocunth's style that is so grating and tiresome. I suspect there's a chip on the shoulder somewhere. Anyway, something psychological that gets in the way of civilised discussion.

As my (somewhat controversial) post explained,
I have not seen that.

I don't mind the argument being made, even if I don't agree, it's axocunth's style that is so grating and tiresome. I suspect there's a chip on the shoulder somewhere. Anyway, something psychological that gets in the way of civilised discussion.
Exactly my experience. He's smart but he doesn't trust himself, so he would rather drag it to a place of mockery where he's more comfortable.

Anyway, I'm only getting half the discussion here so I'll step back.

Last edited:

Either you are not familiar with what scientists routinely tell people these days (i.e. that humans are apes), or you are not familiar with rival schools of systematics and their respective methodological precepts, or you are not familiar with scientists arguing over the reality of biological taxa, including the base taxon species, as well as the so-called "higher taxa" too (genus and above).

I'm getting the distinct impression it's all three! However, let's address them one by one:

(i) Do scientists assert that humans are not only descended from apes, but that we are apes? Of course they do! Nothing could be more commonplace. See for example Aron Ra, previously posted in "The Stage Theory of Theories" post #425, between 1:05:00 - 1:07:00 below for a typical affirmation thereof:

You even imply it yourself above!

(ii) If it is granted that humans are descended from apes, or primitive apelike creatures, does it follow that we are apes? Well, that depends on your taxonomical predilections.

Take the parallel case of modern birds, for example. If it granted that birds descended from dinosaurs (of a certain kind) then

* the pheneticist groups according to morphological similarity. Genealogy is not taken into consideration at all in his groupings.

* the cladist has no choice in the matter. The cladist recognizes only monophyletic groups -- as he defines that term -- as legitimate, namely, all and only descendants of some ancestral root form. If birds are descended from dinosaurs then birds are dinosaurs. Period!

* the evolutionary taxonomist (à la Ernst Mayr) also takes genealogy into consideration in his groupings, but not only genealogy. The evolutionary taxonomist also recognizes only monophyletic groups as legitimate, but he defines the term differently from the cladist, viz., only but not necessarily all descendants of some ancestral root form. If birds are descended from dinosaurs, but have subsequently diverged to such a degree that the ET feels it inappropriate to lump the two together, the ET is at liberty to assign birds a separate and higher taxon of their own. If this is done, birds are descended from dinosaurs, but birds are not dinosaurs.

The same considerations apply to apes and modern humans. Even granting that modern humans are descended from apes, unlike the cladist, it does not necessarily follow from the methodological injunctions of evolutionary taxonomy that humans are apes.

"Mayr, in his role as one of the most vocal spokesmen for the classical evolutionary taxonomists, made it clear in this statement that autopomorphies (and their complementary simplesiomorphies) must be considered in the recognition and ranking of groups in classifications. Mayr cited examples to demonstrate why excluding unique characters in assessing rank produces what he believed to be absurd results. Mayr's taxonomic abominations included the grouping of man with the great apes as proposed by Linnaeus, among others, and more poignantly for him as an ornithologist, the treatment of birds and crocodiles as each others' nearest relatives among living organisms, or birds as a subgroup of dinosaurs when extinct groups are also considered."

- "Biological Systematics: Principles and Applications", 2nd edition, Schuh & Brower, p14

(iii) The reality of species and higher taxa. I quote below from "Speciation" by Jerry A. Coyne & H. Allen Orr . . .

"As a result, more work on speciation has been performed over the last two decades than over the entire period from 1859 to 1980. This latest phase has involved reexamining nearly every conclusion about speciation reached during the Modern Synthesis. Debate about species concepts--virtually quashed by Mayr's forceful arguments in Animal Species and Evolution--was revived as biologists not only introduced dozens of new concepts, but even questioned whether species exist." (pp 4-5)

"But we must start at the beginning--with the question of whether biological nature really is discontinuous. Do species exist as discrete, objective entities, or are they, as Darwin believed, purely arbitrary constructs? If species are not real, then the problem of speciation is moot and we need go no further.

Most biologists certainly act as if species are real: naturalists label their specimens, systematists reconstruct the history of life from from species-specific traits, population geneticists measure DNA variation within species, and ecologists calculate species diversity. Yet a vocal group of biologists, including many botanists, dissent, claiming that species are subjective divisions of nature made for human convenience. This view is common enough to merit serious examination. [ . . . ]

In The Origin, Darwin apparently felt that species were not real:

'From these remarks it will be seen that I look at the term species, as one arbitrarily given for the sake of convenience to a set of individuals closely resembling each other, and that it does not essentially differ from the tern variety, which is given to less distinct and more fluctuating forms.' (Darwin, 1859, p. 52)

'In short, we shall have to treat species in the same manner as those naturalists treat genera, who admit that genera are merely artificial combinations made for convenience. This may not be a cheering prospect; but we shall at least be freed from the vain search for the undiscovered and undiscoverable essence of the term species.' (Darwin, 1859, p. 485)

A number of biologists have agreed with Darwin's published view that species are arbitrary constructs. Surprisingly, this group includes the evolutionist J. B. S. Haldane, who observed that "the concept of a species is a concession to our linguistic habits and neurological mechanisms . . . a dispute as to the validity of a specific distinction is primarily a linguistic rather than a biological dispute" (1956, p. 96). Raven (1976), Mishler and Donoghue (1982), and Nelson (1989) have made similar arguments. [ . . . ]

A different view, common among botanists, is that while some species are real, other groups are less discrete owing to extensive hybridization or the presence of uniparental reproduction (e.g., selfing or clonal reproduction). We find it puzzling, if not contradictory, that many evolutionists who doubt the reality of species nevertheless act as if species were real when doing their own research, using Linnaean names and treating members of one species as equivalents. [ . . . ]

We will conclude that species are indeed discrete in sexually reproducing organisms, probably discrete in asexually reproducing organisms, but often not discrete in organisms that reproduce both sexually and asexually." (pp 9 -12)

"ARE "HIGHER" TAXA REAL?

Most biologists agree that species are real in a way that supraspecific taxa -- including ranks like genera and families -- are not. Higher-level groups often share a common ancestor (i.e., are monophyletic), and can even be distinguished as large morphological clusters. Yet because evolutionary trees can branch at any level, higher-level groupings are necessarily somewhat arbitrary. Indeed, systematists such as Griffiths (1976) have even suggested doing away with formal taxonomic ranks altogether. [ . . . ]

The "reality" of such groups thus consists only of their common ancestry and the traits that allow us to recognize it. Unlike species, such groups do not evolve as a unit nor are they homogenized by interbreeding." (pp 16 -17)

In conclusion, then, for the statement "Humans are apes" to be both true and expressing a fact of nature, -- not merely an artificially constructed fact of human taxonomic convention (cf. "Frank Sinatra is classified as jazz in Tower Records") -- both terms would have to refer. That is

"Homo sapiens (a species and real) is part of [insert higher taxon here] (and this taxon is real too)"

Unfortunately, what had up to this point been a pleasant and informative exchange with Pinball and TheVat has now been disrupted by the mass intrusion of the usual abusive and pig-ignorant Red Guards of scientism resorting, as they invariably do, to puerile insults and name-calling. I am once again reduced to being both stupid and a cunt (A typo? See also "Compromised Science" exchemist, post #409).

I will therefore bow out gracefully and allow you to enjoy your celebration of ignorance and childishness alone.

Last edited:
I have not seen that.

Exactly my experience. He's smart but he doesn't trust himself, so he would rather drag it to a place of mockery where he's more comfortable.

Anyway, I'm only getting half the discussion here so I'll step back.
Same here.

Back