Define god

Persol

I am the great and mighty Zo.
Registered Senior Member
How do you define god? or What is the minimum qualties that a god needs to possess?

I'd state:
created the universe
all-knowing
ability to affect our world

Last edited:
Re: How do you define god?

Originally posted by odin
An idea in someones mind!
Now common, that's vague. Just about everything falls into that category. What about an idea specifies that the idea is god then?

Just about everything falls into that category.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thats why its right!they make gods of every thing.

1) He/She/It must have no begining, and be incapable of ending.

2) Creator of the universe, of all things seen, which are temporal, and the unseen, which are eternal.

3) Must be capable of revealing him/her-self to multiple humans, to rule out the experience of one person's bad drug trip.

4) Be the Judge of all, when He/She decides to finally call it quits on their experiment.

On a serious note:

Each theist has a personal belief. I do believe the degree of intelligence varies quite greatly, from the super-genius to the moron, when it comes to belief in God.

The greater a person's intelligence, the more thought must go into the definition of God. I'm not claiming to be a mental giant, but I was unable to accept a 'person' God since I was a child.

Energy. What could possibly come from, cause, or create Energy?
What can energy do? Mass is Energy, light, sound, electricity, even thought is Energy. Is it possible that energy is itself, a life form?

So many bandwidths of invisible light we cannot see, and the underlying fabric of space, all connect to energy. I don't know for certain if energy alone is alive. But I asked myself, and I thought for a long time before I admitted energy could possibly be the most ancient form of life in the Universe, the only energy, one energy...on and on.

The range of possibilities of what God, <i>could</i> be are limited only by the imagination. Contrary to what some may think, the discovery of each new physical law expands the mind of the educated believer. It gives a sense of deep connection to God, to know how things work.

It isn't so much a circular argument, as it is an broad and encompassing persepective, Persol. I don't change the definition of God in arguments about my belief; there are many faces of God.

Originally posted by biblthmp
3) Must be capable of revealing him/her-self to multiple humans, to rule out the experience of one person's bad drug trip.

4) Be the Judge of all, when He/She decides to finally call it quits on their experiment.
#3: Not what would it take to prove god to you, but what would you consider a god. If this something can only affect us in small ways, and not show itself until after death... is it still god?
#4: Would it still be a God if it choose not to judge?

Re: On a serious note:

Originally posted by Fluidity
I don't change the definition of God in arguments about my belief; there are many faces of God.
I'm not saying you do. I'm asking what the minimum criteria for a god would be.

If you feel god is undefinable then the word means nothing. I'm sure you must have ideas of what a god must have... even if it's only being responsible for creation.

American Heritage's Definition:
god - A being conceived as the

1) perfect
2) omnipotent
3) omniscient originator of the universe
4) ruler of the universe

My question: Must a/the god be perfect and a ruler?

Re: On a serious note:

Each theist has a personal belief. I do believe the degree of intelligence varies quite greatly, from the super-genius to the moron, when it comes to belief in God.

The greater a person's intelligence, the more thought must go into the definition of God. I'm not claiming to be a mental giant, but I was unable to accept a 'person' God since I was a child.

Energy. What could possibly come from, cause, or create Energy?
What can energy do? Mass is Energy, light, sound, electricity, even thought is Energy. Is it possible that energy is itself, a life form?

So many bandwidths of invisible light we cannot see, and the underlying fabric of space, all connect to energy. I don't know for certain if energy alone is alive. But I asked myself, and I thought for a long time before I admitted energy could possibly be the most ancient form of life in the Universe, the only energy, one energy...on and on.

The range of possibilities of what God, <i>could</i> be are limited only by the imagination. Contrary to what some may think, the discovery of each new physical law expands the mind of the educated believer. It gives a sense of deep connection to God, to know how things work.

It isn't so much a circular argument, as it is an broad and encompassing persepective, Persol. I don't change the definition of God in arguments about my belief; there are many faces of God.

I don't think your definition of life, would fall into any of the definitions of any dictionary, if you are defining energy as a living thing. Post your definition of life, and compare it to a dictionary definition of life.

Definitions are human words, fallibility implied

I don't think your definition of life, would fall into any of the definitions of any dictionary, if you are defining energy as a living thing. Post your definition of life, and compare it to a dictionary definition of life.
<HR>
<B>
My definition of life isn't in the Webter's dictionary or any other, because most people don't think like I do.

Find any definition of life, and I can show you its flaw.

The Universe is God's flesh, and our thoughts mingle with God's thoughts.

You can say what you want about that; I'm happy with it, and I have been for a long time.

Originally posted by Persol

1) perfect
2) omnipotent
4) ruler of the universe

Yes, those are a few of the necessary qualifications, and job descriptions, to be God.

Any less an he/she would simply be the god of the atheists.

Persol

1) perfect
2) omnipotent
4) ruler of the universe

<HR>
<B>

1) Perfect: without flaw, humans are incapable of percieving perfection when they see it...subjective.

2) Omnipotent: No range of limitations. A bit more succinct.

3) Omniscient originator of the Universe: Note, this does not mean omnipresent; I find that odd.

4) ruler of the Universe: Only in that all laws to which me must abide or are incapable of breaking in any context. Our first lesson may be "Thou shalt not surpass the speed of light, unless you first learn to create a worm hole." Just being silly.

I think the laws of the Universe are pretty omnipotent, don't you?
And, omnipotent could potentially mean ruler, in some regard. Redundant?

Originally posted by biblthmp
Yes, those are a few of the necessary qualifications, and job descriptions, to be God.
Any less an he/she would simply be the god of the atheists.
So if you die and god admits that he just watches and doesn't rule, or that he has made a mistake... you would denounce him as god? I'm not looking for the god of atheists or thesists, but the minimum for god.

Re: Persol

4) ruler of the Universe: Only in that all laws to which me must abide or are incapable of breaking in any context. Our first lesson may be "Thou shalt not surpass the speed of light, unless you first learn to create a worm hole."
Good point about the ruler part. So basically God would dictate the methods by which the universe operates. I think this boils down to 'created the universe' though.

Last edited:
;)

This will probably be the last nail in my coffin...

Persol, I don't believe in life hereafter. I am just a link in the chain of human events, and I'm very glad to be here. I do not want or need to live forever. If I do, I will be grateful. It would be a contradiction of terms to denounce a God that grants everlasting life, anyway, wouldn't it?

Re: ;)

This will probably be the last nail in my coffin...

Persol, I don't believe in life hereafter. I am just a link in the chain of human events, and I'm very glad to be here. I do not want or need to live forever. If I do, I will be grateful.
Um... ok then... Where did the not believing in life thing come from?

It would be a contradiction of terms to denounce a God that grants everlasting life, anyway, wouldn't it?

Not neccessarily.... granting of life does not in itself make a god.

facing death

Um... ok then... Where did the not believing in life thing come from?
<HR>
<B>
I began to consider that the primary cause of many religions is fear of death. Where we were facing death, we needed answers, closure, comfort, etc...

Each person faces death their own way. I am healthy, but I have been near death with others. I watched my Grandfater pass away, and he fought it to the last minute.

I was the last person to speak to him. It felt like a complete goodbye. That's all I want, but I don't need that, either. I think it's the people that need us that need that.

The fragility of life is always present in my mind. I can't believe that this life is less important than another. This is the only life I believe I will have.

As far as whether or not a person's definition of God includes everlasting life, or omnipresence or omnipotence, is up to them.

The only common factor is that such things would exist outside of nature.

If it was part of nature then it would just be another thing that could be studied by science.

So the best definition of a god is Something Unnatural

;)

Back