Define faith

Limbo

Registered Member
Faith, assumption, "best-bet", belief...

What is the difference between these terms?

If I assume something to be true...anything...is that the same as faith?

If I have faith...am I just going with what seems most likely to me?

What role does reason and logic play in having faith? Or in accepting assumptions?

Reason and logic go hand in hand with assumption. You assume something because all your reason and logic points towards it. You are exploiting faith however because it has ambigious meanings. Faith in the logical sense is the same as assumption - you have faith in something because you assume it is true. Faith in the religious/personal sense however, is the belief in something regardless if any evidence or logic is pitted against it. Trust in other words

Last edited:
Lets say, then, that you use reason and logic to solve a crime. Through deduction, available evidence, and logic you are 60% sure that the butler did it. There is only one other suspect...the cook. But you are only 40% sure the cook did it.

Do you make a "leap of faith" if you charge the butler with the crime? Or is your accusation based on reason and logic? Or do you charge niether with a crime? or both?

Belief is fervent hope that something predetermined is true, while faith is openness to the truth as it is revealed.

Belief: A conviction that a certain thing is true; an expectation.

Faith: A willingness to act on or rely upon that conviction with complete trust and confidence.

Faith is a belief that something is true without proof.

Belief can be based on proof or not. The first can be described as a reational belief while the other (religious belief) is irrational (i.e. outside of logic).

"Faith may be defined briefly as an illogical belief in the occurrence of the improbable. A man full of faith is simply one who has lost (or never had) the capacity for clear and realistic thought. He is not a mere ass; he is actually ill."
H.L. Mencken

heres another thread:Faith(blind faith)

Cris said:
Faith is a belief that something is true without proof.

Belief can be based on proof or not. The first can be described as a reational belief while the other (religious belief) is irrational (i.e. outside of logic).
I like this one. :)

Belief that does not rest on logical proof or material evidence.

Faith is a non-rational belief in some proposition. A non-rational belief is one which is contrary to the sum of evidence for that belief. A belief is contrary to the sum of evidence for a belief if there is overwhelming evidence against the belief, e.g., that the earth is flat, hollow or is the center of the universe. A belief is also contrary to the sum of evidence if the evidence seems equal both for and against the belief, yet one commits to one of two or more equally supported propositions.

skeptics dictionary

there seem to be a number of definitions that are based on a lack of things like proof, reason and logic.

Why isn't there a type of faith that is based on reason and logic?

What I mean is...Lets say, then, that you use reason and logic to solve a crime. Through deduction, available evidence, and logic you are 60% sure that the butler did it. There is only one other suspect...the cook. But you are only 40% sure the cook did it.

Do you make a "leap of faith" if you charge the butler with the crime? Or is your accusation based on reason and logic? Or do you charge niether with a crime? or both?

Limbo

Those other threads linked above would have answered your questions had you taken the time tor read them.

Faith: Comittment to an ideal.

Belief: A cognitive content that functions as a basis for actions and thoughts.

Back