Define "Christian"

Originally posted by Darwin Disciple
What's the ratio of Islamic "denominations" vs christian denominations?

As far as I know, there are only 2 Islamic demon nations, the Sikhs, and the Shi-ites. The later got the name, by the word they say, right after they pull the ripcord on their explosive belts.

In Christianity, there are 1000s of denominations, becasue liberalism comes in and waters down the message, then a revival will come in. half the congregation likes the old watered down stuff, and half the congregation likes the biblical truth, and hence a new denomination is born, as the congregation splits.

Um ... close

As far as I know, there are only 2 Islamic demon nations, the Sikhs, and the Shi-ites.
Not quite. The two best-known denominations of Islam are Shiite and Sunni. Sikhism is its own religion, but bears heavy Muslim influence. Homework Central lists Sufism as a third, but I'd never thought to give it that status, myself. I'm also informed, from somewhere, sometime, and somehow, that there is regional variation within the sects. I could be wrong about that.

:m:,
Tiassa :cool:

Re: Sanctification & liberalism

Originally posted by biblthmp
Pardon me, for not metioning it, but yes, Sanctification is something to be desired fully, but it is a work of God in us. As we humble ourselves before God, He plants it in us. It is not a work of the flesh.

It reminds me of the story Jesus told, concerning the Sadducees, being white washed tombs, full of dead mens bones. It was because they pursued righteousness in their own strength, so they looked good on the outside good on the outside, but are still full of wickedness in their hearts. Only when God comes in, does He bring life. Our job, is simply to let him in, so that He can work.

Concerning liberalism: Let me tell you a story. This past Sunday, the Dean of Harvard Divinity School came to my town to preach, his name is Kristen Stendahl. Needless to say, he was the liberal's liberal. His message was more like Buddism dressed in Christian clothes, than a Christian message. Several of the students that I attend seminary with, all laughed him to scorn.

To me, I have never met a Christian liberal, they were either one or the other, usually the later. Either one believes the scriptures, or they don't.
Tha't a really nice story, but you avoided my specfic questions entirely. If you notice, every answer and every qestion I asked you was based on scripture. Your answer concerning liberals was based entirely on your own experience, prejudice and understanding. Your very good with doctrine, but if you can laugh someone to scorn instead of love and pray for them, then maybe you have to spend a lot more time asking after the condition of your heart? Are you loving your enemy and becoming a desciple of Christ?. Prove to me your heart is not hardened by answering the specific questions I asked you from your heart after praying to the holy spirit for guidance. Use scripture if you are so guided.

Proverbs 3:5-6 Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight.

Proverbs 4:23 Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life.

I ask again: What is the scriptural basis for your position number 6) One who stands up in support of the scriptural teaching in the marketplace, defending the truth of the scriptures from the attacks of the liberals?

Liberalsim

Turduckin,
Since every person is an individual, I am not just going to shotgun scriptures at you. Please post those doctrines which you believe, define you, as an individual, as a liberal, and we will discuss them, in the context of scripture.

Honestly, I am not looking for a fight, just Christian orthodoxy.

Originally posted by Grey Seal
biblthmp, so would it be correct if someone said 'Protestants are Christians' or they would be regarded as Christians? By that I mean do their beliefs fall in accordance with the three specifications that make a religion 'Christian'?

Yes, Protestants fall withing the pale of Christianity. They believe that Jesus is the Son of God, that died on a cross. They all hold a high view of the scriptures. They all believe that one must be born-again, in order to qualify for entrance into heaven.

Mormons on the other hand hold to many different belief systems, outside the pale of orthodoxy.

Re: Liberalsim

Originally posted by biblthmp
Turduckin,
Since every person is an individual, I am not just going to shotgun scriptures at you. Please post those doctrines which you believe, define you, as an individual, as a liberal, and we will discuss them, in the context of scripture.

Honestly, I am not looking for a fight, just Christian orthodoxy.
I don't want to get into a pissing contest about labels either. I may be left of center politically, but my theology leans conservative. I like Deitrich Bonhoeffer and C. S. Lewis if that helps. So lets forget about useless labels and get back to the question I asked you. I'm not trying to trap you, I honestly want to understand what you use as scriptural basis for your statement number 6)

One who stands up in support of the scriptural teaching in the marketplace, defending the truth of the scriptures from the attacks of the whatever

Concerning liberalism: Let me tell you a story. This past Sunday, the Dean of Harvard Divinity School came to my town to preach, his name is Kristen Stendahl. Needless to say, he was the liberal's liberal. His message was more like Buddism dressed in Christian clothes, than a Christian message. Several of the students that I attend seminary with, all laughed him to scorn.
<hr>
i find it interesting that you and your fellow students would have such a reaction as you describe, especially considering that you are attending a seminary.

which is more important to you: practicing the tenets of christianity, or advancing some kind of agenda? laughing someone to scorn doesn't seem like a very christian thing to do, to me anyway.

by the way, up until fairly late in the history of early christianity, these "scriptures," as you call them, were a very fluid set of documents, some of which contain teachings very much in line with buddhist thought (eg, the gnostic gospels).

how some documents were ultimately included in the NT canon, and some were not, was the result of much political in-fighting among the early christian groups.

in the end, it was an arbitrary collection, and much was left out in order to serve the ends of the most dominant christian factions.

Thank you everyone for your posts......I think its safe to say that there is no set definition and your definition really depends on your specific experiences with individual christians.

Back