Deceived

water said:
I'm not sanctioning vanity. It is its own sanction, erm, reward.

See the six other deadly sins.

Without other men around, man would not think much in the first place. Neither vain nor good thoughts.

And again: But at the expense of corruption?

Why should man sacrifice enslave himself to society - when all he recieves in this 'symbiotic' relationship is regression?

They have. I haven't.

Rage. Rage.

Blegh. Evader. Relegator.
Still, observe your actions: You will not date ugly girls, and that's it.

Without society, there would be no you anyway, so there would be no you to influence.

But. With or without society, there is no "me". And as such is the case, what is the point in restricting the mind any further with society's whims?

Excuse me?

Get your mind out of the gutter water. Didn't you read what I wrote in the other thread of the liking of ice cream being inextricably linked to society?

Hm. By this you mean that the majority of all people has gone astray?

All those who genuflect to the will of society, they have gone astray from the path of freedom.

13“Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. 14But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

- Matthew 7

All we like sheep have gone astray.

§outh§tar said:
Without other men around, man would not think much in the first place. Neither vain nor good thoughts.

And again: But at the expense of corruption?

Well, it happened that way ...

But:

But the bravest man amongst us is afraid of himself. The mutilation of the savage has its tragic survival in the self-denial that mars our lives. We are punished for our refusals. Every impulse that we strive to strangle broods in the mind, and poisons us. The body sins once, and has done with its sin, for action is a mode of purification. Nothing remains then but the recollection of a pleasure, or the luxury of a regret. The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. Resist, and your soul grows sick with the longing for the things it has forbidden to itself, with desire for what its monstrous laws have made monstrous and unlawful. It has been said that the great events of the world take place in the brain. It is in the brain, and the brain only, that the great sins of the world take place also.

Oscar Wilde, The picture of Dorian Gray, Chapter 2.​

All fine -- but what if the things we wish, that are forbidden -- what if we wish them merely because they are forbidden, and not because we would really want them? Isn't *this* corruption?!

Why should man sacrifice enslave himself to society - when all he recieves in this 'symbiotic' relationship is regression?

Explain, for the sake of the clarity of the argument: How does a man sacrifice, enslave himself to society?

I should think it is by indulging in wishing for things without knowing whether these wishes are autonomous to him, or copied and borrowed.

Rage. Rage.

O, from this time forth,
My thoughts be bloody, or be nothing worth.

But. With or without society, there is no "me". And as such is the case, what is the point in restricting the mind any further with society's whims?

You should first find out what "society's whims" are, and what aren't "society's whims".

Get your mind out of the gutter water.

You are so going to have to work on your insults, schoolboy.

Didn't you read what I wrote in the other thread of the liking of ice cream being inextricably linked to society?

Which thread? Was it in a post addressed to me?

All those who genuflect to the will of society, they have gone astray from the path of freedom.

What the hell is this "will of society"?!
A beauty magazine saying which colour will be fashionable this summer? My classmates deciding who is cool and who isn't? "The public"?

We are all just people. "Society" is a flimsy, whimsical, inductive generalization of how people have behaved towards you so far, and of what you have heard others telling you of others behaving towards them.

Back