Death

I don't feel like going through my stack of magazines to try to find the article (I'm almost positive that's where it came from either Discover or Scientific American.) So, I did a web search. Found a bunch of links.

In the latest advance, Victor Dzau and his colleagues at the Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston inserted a cell-survival gene called Akt1 into a type of bone-marrow stem cell. They injected the cells into rats whose hearts had been starved of oxygen as happens when blocked arteries cause a heart attack.

More than 60% of the modified cells survived for 48 hours. What's more, they halted the heart's subsequent decline towards failure. "It's pretty amazing," says Stanton Gerson, who studies blood stem cells at Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland, Ohio.
http://www.nature.com/nsu/030804/030804-15.html

Found a few others that all seemed to talk about the same thing. Using bone marrow stem cells rather than embryonic stem cells.
http://www.cnn.com/2003/HEALTH/conditions/03/06/teen.heart.ap/

None of these are the ones that I saw before though. The one I saw showed a before and after picture of the heart. Showed how much healthier the muscle was after the procedure. I really don't think it said where the stem cells came from. I'd be willing to bet that it's these same stem cells though.

Found some more:

What has increasingly been found is extensive fusion of bone marrow stem cells to cells in the heart, liver and brain, offering an alternative explanation for the presumed transdifferentiation. In future studies of adult stem cell potential, it will be crucial to rule out the possibility that stem cells are merely fusing to local cells rather than generating new ones.

Still, tissue-specific cells have already produced encouraging results. In the German TOPCARE-AMI study of patients with severe heart damage following myocardial infarction, the patients' own heart progenitor cells were infused directly into the infarcted artery. Four months later the size of the damaged tissue swath had decreased by nearly 36 percent, and the patients' heart function had increased by 10 percent.
http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?articleID=000DFA43-04B1-10AA-84B183414B7F0000&pageNumber=5&catID=2

But, I think their source was:
Regeneration of the Infarcted Heart with Stem Cells Derived by Nuclear Transplantation. Robert Lanza et al. in Circulation Research, Vol. 94, pages 820-927; April 2, 2004.
Which would probably suit you better.

This still isn't the same one I saw, but I bet it's telling the same story.

spuriousmonkey said:
I always ask how, because I am in the stem cell field myself and I always hear this bullshit on how stem cells can magically increase lifespan or enable the cloning of organs.

In fact it is just propaganda used for grant applications and press releases.

but the reason we die is beacuse or body degenerates, if we had stemcells constantly converting themselves into penis cells whenever a penis cell died then we would live forever(sorry about the example but i am a guy and thats what first cam to mind)

as long as the stem cells took the form of whatever died, then you could replace the entrie ting

its like putting gap filler in when u lose a brick in a wall, eventually you can have a whole wall of gapfiller(new cells)

I started a question long ago about which part of the body is more important, brain or heart, and I think (after some time and discussion) death=no brain order (or dead brain)

Last edited:
vslayer said:
but the reason we die is beacuse or body degenerates, if we had stemcells constantly converting themselves into penis cells whenever a penis cell died then we would live forever(sorry about the example but i am a guy and thats what first cam to mind)

You mean we would have cancer everywhere?

Death is the end of a system. When analogies that existed no longer apply. When orbits decay, when motion stops or starts, when thing change to a point that previous descriptions no longer apply. Death is subjective.

There was this episode of South Park when their in the rainforest and a snake eats there tour guide and is pooping out the digested remains when the instructor yells out: “oh my god is he dead?”

your dead when people argee that your dead.

"Getting gay with kids is here. Saving the rainforest is totally GAY!"

Heh, good point Fetus. I never really thought of her saying that. It is a funny thing to say when he's being shat out, isn't it? :D Death is subjective. It's a judgement call. Some people are declared dead while they're still alive and they have a lot of trouble convincing the state that they are in fact "not dead".

invert_nexus said:
It is a funny thing to say when he's being shat out, isn't it? :D Death is subjective. It's a judgement call. Some people are declared dead while they're still alive and they have a lot of trouble convincing the state that they are in fact "not dead".

no its Hell-a funny! :D

I remember hearing of that article about a man that had to prove he was alive, do you know where a link would be for it?

Nope, don't have any examples. I've just heard it as the old urban myth type thing. I do remember an episode of the Simpsons where Homer faked his own death...

Well, as far as I know, such occurences are not simply urban myths. It seems that after some time of unaccounted absence of yourself without any trace, you are considered dead after some time by the state. And when you get back, you have to verify that you are indeed you. This you either do with a valid ID (which might be difficult since they run out after some years) or with reliable wittnesses. But I don´t know the details, and it varies from country to country.

cosmictraveler said:
When all brain activity ceases , that's when your clinicly dead.

Yes, thats true....

By definition, "brain death" is "when the entire brain, including the brain stem, has irreversibly lost all function." The legal time of death is "that time when a physician(s) has determined that the brain and the brain stem have irreversibly lost all neurological function."

http://health.howstuffworks.com/brain-death1.htm

The positive examination for brain death includes the following:

The patient has no response to command, verbal, visual or otherwise.

The patient is flaccid, with areflexic extremities. The patient has no movements -- the arms and legs are raised and allowed to fall to see if there are adjacent movements, restraint or hesitation in the fall.

The pupils are unreactive (fixed). The patient's eyes are opened and a very bright light is shined into the pupil. The light will activate the optic nerve and send a message to the brain. In the normal brain, the brain will send an impulse back to the eye to constrict the pupil. In the non-viable brain, no impulse will be generated. This is performed in both eyes.

The patient has no oculocephalic reflex. The patient's eyes are opened and the head turned from side to side. The active brain will allow a roving motion of the eyes; the non-functional brain will not. The eyes remain fixed.

The patient has no corneal reflexes. A cotton swab is dragged across the cornea while the eye is held open. The intact brain will want the eye to blink. The dead brain will not. This is performed in both eyes.

The patient has no response -- either purposeful or posturing -- to supra-orbital stimulation. The patient's eyebrow ridge is compressed with the thumb. The resulting stimulation pressure will cause motion of the extremities, either purposeful or primitive posturing, in the living-brain patient, but none in the brain-dead patient.

The patient has no oculovestibular reflex. The patient's ear canal is inspected to ensure an intact tympanic membrane and that the ear is free of wax. While holding the eyes open, ice water is injected into the ear canal. The drastic change in ear temperature will cause a violent eye twitching by the intact brain but no reaction in the brain-dead patient. This is performed in both ears.

The patient has no gag reflex. The movement of the breathing tube (in and out) or the insertion of a smaller tube down the breathing tube will cause a gag reflex in a comatose patient, but will not elicit a reflex in the brain-dead patient.

The patient has no spontaneous respiration. The patient is temporarily removed from life support (the ventilator). With the cessation of breathing by the machine, the body will immediately start to build up metabolic waste of carton dioxide (CO2) in the blood. When the CO2 level reaches a level of 55 mm Hg, the active brain will cause the patient to breathe spontaneously. The dead brain gives no response.

If, after this extensive clinical examination, the patient shows no sign of neurological function and the cause of the injury is known, the patient can be pronounced "brain dead." In some states, more than one physician is required to make this pronouncement in order for brain death to become legal death.

Back