death penalty

and it is later discovered that you were innocent
With DNA testing and such, hopefully this is not a significant problem. Of course, nothing is perfect...You have to balance the good vs. the bad. In this case, I think the good outweighs the risks.

With DNA testing and such, hopefully this is not a significant problem.
What is "significant"? For me it's one person killed unjustly.
So one of your loved ones is executed though they were innocent.
And that's okay with you because he good outweighs the risks?

:m: Peace.

Originally posted by fadingCaptain
I don't like this quote much...it scares me actually.

Anyway, the death penalty is valid because a person serving a life sentence is contributing nothing to society. The death penalty can help alleviate prison overcrowding. The death penalty brings closure and a sense of 'justice' for the families of victims.

Lastly, killing someone by injection is more human than sticking them in a tiny box for the rest of their life.

Probably you don't like the quote because you know that on this particular subject you would have nothing to say when wisdom, not numbers count!

So capital punishment is a economic thing, and solves the problem of overcrowding. Interesting...:bugeye:
And the sense of justice is something culturally defined. I know that in some places death is considered to be a good punishment for insulting somebody... does that justify the practice?

Anyway, the death penalty is valid because a person serving a life sentence is contributing nothing to society.

That isn't true. Some inmates turn their lives around and can even help those on the outside.

The death penalty can help alleviate prison overcrowding. The death penalty brings closure and a sense of 'justice' for the families of victims.

Keeping the death penalty in tact to help overcrowding equates with stupidity. Not every family feels justice or closure even if the culprit did receive the maximum sentence.

That isn't true. Some inmates turn their lives around and can even help those on the outside.
Yes they are paragons of virtue...I don't think all that many serial killers have helped people on the outside. And yes serial killers are the type of people normally given the death penalty. Are you actually arguing that people in prison serving life sentences are a valuable asset to society?

Keeping the death penalty in tact to help overcrowding equates with stupidity.
It is not the only reason but a nice benefit. The numbers aren't enough to make a major difference but something is better than nothing.

Not every family feels justice or closure even if the culprit did receive the maximum sentence.
Most families of murder victims want the death penalty for the perpetrator of the crime. I would bet this is so
even if those people did not support the death penalty beforehand. Why do you think this is so?

Lastly, how bout you giving me a good reason to abolish the death penalty?

Probably you don't like the quote because you know that on this particular subject you would have nothing to say when wisdom, not numbers count!
I don't like the quote because I value democracy.

And the sense of justice is something culturally defined. I know that in some places death is considered to be a good punishment for insulting somebody... does that justify the practice?
Yes, you are right it is culturally defined. Our culture has made this definition. If enough people agree with you then it will be changed.

What is "significant"? For me it's one person killed unjustly.
Yeah, this is a tough question. But I think the number of innocents killed is so small as to justify it.

And how about the second part of my question:
One of your loved ones is executed though they were innocent.
That's okay with you because the good outweighs the risks?

One of your loved ones is executed though they were innocent.
That's okay with you because the good outweighs the risks?
I don't think this question helps because it is such an extreme example. I will try and explain by first asking you:

What if your family is murdered. What justice do want for the murderer?

Now, your gut reaction might be that you would stick to your guns(so to speak :)) and not wish the death penalty. But I would say you cannot possibly know what your reaction would be until you were placed in that situation.

So, I can speculate that I would outraged if I had a loved one executed though innocent...but I do not know how this would affect my position on the death penalty. Although I will say that at some point you have to trust our judicial system...or else you have to change it. Great care is taken not to send an innocent to prison in the US...relatively speaking with the rest of the world at least.

I will say that I think the death penalty should be a rare sentence. Reserved for pre-meditated murders that are gruesome enough to warrant such a severe sentence. I do believe it can be a deterrant. For example, I think the DC sniper murders would warrant a death sentence.

I don't think this question helps because it is such an extreme example.
It is not an extreme example for those to families where this is the case.
I will say that at some point you have to trust our judicial system...or else you have to change it.
The only change needed would be abolishment of the penalty. Bad enough that a person be wrongly convicted and sentenced to jail – at least in that case they can be set free. Death is irrevocable.
Great care is taken not to send an innocent to prison in the US
I’m not so sure that is truly the case, but will let it go.
I do believe it can be a deterrant.
Then how do we explain the difference in the murder rate per capita of the United States and the rate in other industrialized nations?

Then how do we explain the difference in the murder rate per capita of the United States and the rate in other industrialized nations?
I think it is due to lax gun control and a culture that fosters violence and greed. The deterrant of possible death is not near enough to overcome these issues.

So it is NOT effective as a deterrent. Why have it?

No, you misunderstand. It alone is not effective enough to bring US murder rates down to, say, Canadian rates. This is because of the issues I stated.
If the death penalty were abolished the rates would only be worse. So, I believe it is effective.

So how about states WITHIN the U.S. that don't have capital punishment, yet have fewer capital crimes?

Ok, I have done a little research and have to say I can find no evidence that links the death penalty with a reduction in murder rates...I will eat my words.

So, if the death penalty is not a deterrant should we keep it?

I still stand by my defense that the death penalty is usually the justice wanted by families of the victims. So basically it is revenge. Now, here is where I differ from many people...

I think revenge has its place. I think revenge is entirely human. When revenge is honest and direct, it can be helpful and good. Such as when someone has slaughtered dozens of random people through careful planning.

I do not feel all that strongly about it either way...give me some good reasons why the death penalty should be abolished.

If you are against the death penalty because many people are wrongly accused and put in jail/killed... go to www.ogrish.com

If the shit here doesnt scare the fuck out of you, then you have a problem. If this was the executive government here, i would never again curse. This could seriously change your views... fear changes people.

What scares me is not the images etc on the site, it is the number of people actually getting excited by, loving the thrill of, being confronted with such material. Reminds me of that many love the movie American history X, just because of the brutal scenes.
Also, many would go to public executions, e.g. like those in the European middle ages, just for fun.

Brian's mom: "Let's go to a stoning!"
Brian: "But mom we can go to a stoning any time."

I will not accept those people having as much to say as I do, in the name of democracy. I am smarter, so I can achieve more, but they have their numbers!
Yes, I know, democracy is the least evil of all known systems. But failing to see the inherent flaw is a major mistake!

Back