Death Penalty (in a bubble)

Would you ever allow the death penalty?

• Total voters
Also, is there anyone else who might have mistakenly voted no, when they really think yes, or vice versa, because of my poor wording?

Can you elaborate? Do you mean you are pro-personal vengeance even though it's wrong?

Personal vengence I believe in(and I even know its wrong), Not Government vengence.

I see government killing as a compromise between personal vengeance and human decency. If the family of the victim wants vengeance on a killer, the state steps in and exacts it for them, in a relatively humane way. Left to their own devices, an aggrieved parent or spouse might well torture the killer prior to executing him, but the state has no personal interest in making the death especially gruesome or terrible.

Plus, it goes without saying everywhere save in this thread (since the OP asks that we assume "no errors") that a grieving family member is more likely to kill the wrong person hastily than the state after it's long drawn out process.

I see government killing as a compromise between personal vengeance and human decency. If the family of the victim wants vengeance on a killer, the state steps in and exacts it for them, in a relatively humane way. Left to their own devices, an aggrieved parent or spouse might well torture the killer prior to executing him, but the state has no personal interest in making the death especially gruesome or terrible.

Plus, it goes without saying everywhere save in this thread (since the OP asks that we assume "no errors") that a grieving family member is more likely to kill the wrong person hastily than the state after it's long drawn out process.
Exactly right. The natural response to a murder if there were no government would be for the family of the victim to take vengeance. Then vise-versa and on and on.

So we create governments to bring some order to the situation. But we still expect justice, that is vengence, to be served.

madanth said:
But we still expect justice, that is vengence, to be served.
Unless "we" are adults, and can distinguish justice from vengeance with little difficulty - and prefer justice.

Once again: whatever the criminal deserves is irrelevant. We are not playing god, but empowering government. We do not want to empower government to organize vengeance. We want to get rid of vengeance, not organize it.

Irregardless of empowering government, is there any act you think deserves death? Any instance where you feel death would be appropriate while still understanding we shouldn't give that authority to governments?

Some people hold the view that murder is wrong because it infringes upon a person's right to live. A justification for the death penalty might be that by committing murder, someone has given up all of their rights including their right to live.

no one should take a life, even if that person has killed someone there should be a differant punishment for them, perhaps a secure unit where they can live they're life under the care of professional people

no one should take a life, even if that person has killed someone there should be a differant punishment for them, perhaps a secure unit where they can live they're life under the care of professional people

why? Why should we pay to house, clothe, feed them and give then medical care when they have killed all three of your children?

why? Why should we pay to house, clothe, feed them and give then medical care when they have killed all three of your children?

I'd like to keep that out of this. If you have a problem with her reasons for being against death in general, address that specifically and don't bring our current death penalty system into this.

I was about to respond the same way, but I think she might've really meant "it gives people the right to kill", which follows her line of thinking that no one should kill.

goverment appointed killers. And would you really want the goverment incharge of who lives and who dies?

Looks like I assumed wrong.

Is there any crime that you think deserves death, even if you wouldn't give the government the power to enforce the death penalty?

EDIT: Nevermind, you already mentioned you're against all killing. But please keep the government out of it. I'm just talking about death as a punishment, even if you wouldn't give the government the power to execute it.

Looks like I assumed wrong.

Is there any crime that you think deserves death, even if you wouldn't give the government the power to enforce the death penalty?

EDIT: Nevermind, you already mentioned you're against all killing. But please keep the government out of it. I'm just talking about death as a punishment, even if you wouldn't give the government the power to execute it.

how can you keep the goverment out of it, they will ahve to decided who kills the killers :bugeye:

Simple, enforcement isn't the issue. It's what you feel about death as a punishment. For example, nietzschefan thinks death can be appropriate as a punishment, but he'd never give that authority to the government.

What do people think about the death penalty in a bubble? Seperate from any issues of cost, of guilt, and on purely ethical grounds, is the death penalty something that you'd support using? Why or why not?

The person being sentenced is 100% without a doubt guilty and the cost is meaningless. The crime is whatever you think would result in the severity of a death penalty.

Voted yes.

People should lose the right to life if they go around raping and murdering others.

Back