Dead dog gets a new life

Plazma Inferno!

Ding Ding Ding Ding
Administrator
A grief-stricken British couple, Laura Jacques and Richard Remde, whose boxer died in June 2015 successfully cloned their dead dog after taking its DNA to a commercial dog-cloning service of Sooam Biotech Research Foundation in South Korea.
The couple have named the male puppy Chance. They are expecting another cloned puppy to be ready in a few days, which will be named Shadow.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/europe...sh-couple-pays-to-clone-him-back-to-life.html

Is grief a valid argument for cloning?

I didn't see any mention of how old their previous dog was. I hope Dylan the dog didn't originally die of old age...

Is grief a valid argument for cloning?
Lots of people get a new puppy that looks like their old dog. That's just a kind of expensive way to do it.

It's a mistake, of course, if they expect their old dog back - but we need not presume bad character of the owners resulting in disappointed rejection and mistreatment. If they like their new dogs and treat them well, what's the problem?

Cloning is not the solution to get back your loved ones. But yes, it can be an alternative. All I can say is we shouldn't use this technology every time, cloning will hamper the natural cycle of living and death.

Uh... The thought of cloning your dead dog is creepy.

The idea of cloning itself is creepy. Say cloning livestock may be a viable source for food... I can also see that in the future you could pay for a cloned sex slave cause the person murdered the first one. (Maybe I've been looking at too much crappy stuff on the internet for this to come to mind. Damn you CNN!)

Uh... The thought of cloning your dead dog is creepy.

The idea of cloning itself is creepy. Say cloning livestock may be a viable source for food... I can also see that in the future you could pay for a cloned sex slave cause the person murdered the first one. (Maybe I've been looking at too much crappy stuff on the internet for this to come to mind. Damn you CNN!)
I don't think cloning a dog is creepy. But it isn't something I would do. I had a beloved dog of 14 years die last year. Instead of cloning, I adopted a stray dog from the animal shelter. And while different, she has is a great pet. I have learned much from her, things I would not have learned and done had I cloned my former pet. And that doesn't in any way detract from the relationship I had with my previous pet. Many good animals need homes, so I can't endorse cloning or buying them from breeders.

Last edited:
It's also like playing God. The article also read that they paid $100 000 and that to me reinforces the thought of inequality of wealth between peoples - we have the money, we can play God the rest of you are our slaves.

As Joe says there are millions of dogs in shelters that need good homes. Anyone that wants a good dog should always start in the shelters before looking anywhere else.

As Joe says there are millions of dogs in shelters that need good homes. Anyone that wants a good dog should always start in the shelters before looking anywhere else.
I think people often think of shelter animals as being defective in some way, and nothing could be further from the truth. Shelter animals are not defective. They are great animals and make great pets. My son also adopted a dog from a shelter, and he hasn't for a minute regretted it. He too got a fantastic animal from an animal shelter. Shelter dogs aren't problem animals, they are great animals and make great pets. I cannot say enough good things about shelters or the animals they shelter. Shelter animals, like any other animal, will need some training and discipline, but no more so than any other animal.

I think people often think of shelter animals as being defective in some way, and nothing could be further from the truth. Shelter animals are not defective. They are great animals and make great pets. My son also adopted a dog from a shelter, and he hasn't for a minute regretted it. He too got a fantastic animal from an animal shelter. Shelter dogs aren't problem animals, they are great animals and make great pets. I cannot say enough good things about shelters or the animals they shelter. Shelter animals, like any other animal, will need some training and discipline, but no more so than any other animal.

Just for everyone's 411 I worked in a shelter when I was younger and they only have 7 days USUALLY to have the animals brought in to be adopted. After that they put hundreds of non wanted animals into a chamber and remove the air which kills all the animals. I just could not work for a place like that and when I found this out I QUIT. So remember that yearly millions of unwanted but very nice animals are killed because no one wanted them.

Just for everyone's 411 I worked in a shelter when I was younger and they only have 7 days USUALLY to have the animals brought in to be adopted. After that they put hundreds of non wanted animals into a chamber and remove the air which kills all the animals. I just could not work for a place like that and when I found this out I QUIT. So remember that yearly millions of unwanted but very nice animals are killed because no one wanted them.
Unfortunately that is the case, many animals are killed in shelters just because there are no homes for them. At our local shelter, about 27% of the animals are euthanize every year. That translates to about 3,500 animals every year, some are killed for behavioral or health issues and some because no one wanted them. That's far too many. On the good side, 73% are saved and find homes.

One other thing, something I recently learned from my son, some animal shelters provide full spectrum veterinary services to the public at very affordable rates. The shelter in my city only provides spaying, neutering and end of life veterinary services to the public.

Last edited:
So, is it despicable to clone your dead pet then offer a home to an already alive animal?

Even with identical DNA, you won't get the same personality without the same upbringing - and that would be difficult to replicate.

The idea of cloning itself is creepy. Say cloning livestock may be a viable source for food.
Yes. So? We already eat cloned bananas. How would cloned cows be any different?
I can also see that in the future you could pay for a cloned sex slave cause the person murdered the first one.
Or you could go out with a woman, then go out with her identical twin, which would be no different than going out with two identical clones. (Of course you'd get in trouble with the slavery and murder things in both cases, but apart from that . . . )
The article also read that they paid $100 000 and that to me reinforces the thought of inequality of wealth between peoples - we have the money, we can play God the rest of you are our slaves.
That is an issue, but no different WRT cloning than anything else.
"I can afford a house and you can't, so I will play God while the rest of you suffer."
"I can afford expensive cancer treatments and you can't, so I will play God while the rest of you die."
"I can afford to eat in fancy restaurants and you can't, so I will play God while the rest of you serve me."

Yes. So? We already eat cloned bananas. How would cloned cows be any different?

Or you could go out with a woman, then go out with her identical twin, which would be no different than going out with two identical clones. (Of course you'd get in trouble with the slavery and murder things in both cases, but apart from that . . . )

That is an issue, but no different WRT cloning than anything else.
"I can afford a house and you can't, so I will play God while the rest of you suffer."
"I can afford expensive cancer treatments and you can't, so I will play God while the rest of you die."
"I can afford to eat in fancy restaurants and you can't, so I will play God while the rest of you serve me."

Did you enslave your daughter in your basement and have seven children with her?

:EDIT:

Or you might be in the process of doing so....

Last edited:
Back