DC sniper Muhammad set to die by lethal injection

madanthonywayne

Morning in America
Registered Senior Member
So the DC sniper is set to be executed November 10 for the DC sniper shootings that occured in 2002.
The mastermind of the 2002 Washington, DC-area sniper attacks will die by lethal injection next month, Virginia officials said Tuesday.

John Allen Muhammad declined to choose between lethal injection and electrocution, so under state law the method defaults to lethal injection, Virginia Department of Corrections spokesman Larry Traylor said.

Muhammad is scheduled to be executed Nov. 10 for the October 2002 slaying of Dean Harold Meyers at a Manassas gas station during a string of shootings.

The three-week killing spree in October 2002 left 10 dead in Maryland, Virginia and the District of Columbia.

Muhammad and his teenage accomplice, Lee Boyd Malvo, were also suspected of shootings in several other states, including a killing in Louisiana and another in Alabama. Malvo is serving a life sentence in prison.

Muhammad's lawyers have asked the Virginia governor for clemency and plan to file an appeal with the U.S. Supreme Court early next month.
Somehow, I doubt he'll be getting clemency.

breitbart.com​

I think the state should have imposed a state sanctioned sniping. Make him suffer as much as the people he killed. Shoot him then let him bleed to death.

Here's a graph of averate time spent on death row from the death penalty information center:
TimeBeforeExec.jpg

According to the graph, the average inmate was on death row almost 13 years before being executed as of 2007.

I don't know, I think it's pretty quick for the US. ...

agreed. I was surprised to hear he was being executed already.

Since he was tried in Maryland as well, and given life, how is he being executed in Virginia? Why did Virginia take precedence?

Wasn't he tried, convicted and sentenced in Virginia before even standing trial in Maryland?

I still don't understand the purpose of the death sentence. I'd MUCH rather see the victims of the family torture this guy for the rest of his miserable life by taking a razor blade and cutting a one inch hole in him every hour. And then pour salt and lemon juice in the wound for that extra zing!

Also, as an update: his last-minute appeals were refused yesterday by the Supreme Court, and his plea for clemency was denied earlier today by Tim Kaine.

Celebrating homicide! Woo-hoo!

I'm struck by how vengeful and bloodthirsty people are.

Just be happy that we're taking the easy route, and you get to cheer for homicide.

Torture him? Shoot him and let him bleed to death? Televise the execution? Three words for the lot of you: Don't have children.

I recognize that for some of you it's too late, but an eye for an eye leaves everybody blind, and all you're teaching is that humanity should be proud of being locked in a seemingly eternal cycle of killing one another.

Pardon me if I don't applaud the achievement.

I should state that I don't agree with capital punishment. However, it's one of those "can't look away from a car accident" type scenarios where I am endlessly intrigued by the process.

I'm struck by how vengeful and bloodthirsty people are.

Just be happy that we're taking the easy route, and you get to cheer for homicide.

Torture him? Shoot him and let him bleed to death? Televise the execution? Three words for the lot of you: Don't have children.

I recognize that for some of you it's too late, but an eye for an eye leaves everybody blind, and all you're teaching is that humanity should be proud of being locked in a seemingly eternal cycle of killing one another.

Pardon me if I don't applaud the achievement.
Although I hate violence I believe that when you take an innocent life , the court should take your life . I live a peaceful life and I expect people to refrain from violence and if they do not then punishment is required .
These cases are senseless and have nothing to do with self defence or accidents . Sometimes one eye with two eyes and one tooth with two teeth is more appropriate .

Punishment entails a portion of revenge. Society has the right to avenge its grievances. That's part-and-parcel with Justice. I also cheer when rapists get sent to jail. Is there a problem with that? I mean, they are being kept in cages. Am I some sort of masochist?

No. I'm human and it's human to want to see evil-doers suffer their punishment.

~String

Because state-sanctioned homicide can't be tragic ....

Mike47 said:

Although I hate violence I believe that when you take an innocent life , the court should take your life . I live a peaceful life and I expect people to refrain from violence and if they do not then punishment is required .
These cases are senseless and have nothing to do with self defence or accidents . Sometimes one eye with two eyes and one tooth with two teeth is more appropriate .

What you believe is its own. But bloodthirsty glee at state-sanctioned homicide is still ignorant, myopic, and brutal.

Then again, I think it was Sir Paul McCartney who famously said he couldn't be a pacifist while there was a war on.

About time.

+1

Accidentally the justice system actually worked correctly and in a timely fashion and some people have a problem with it??? I think he killed a veteran and that helped to speed up the process....

But bloodthirsty glee at state-sanctioned homicide is still ignorant, myopic, and brutal.

What about "state-sanctioned" theft? (Taxes)

State-sanctioned locking-in-cages? (Imprisonment)

State-sanctioned forced labor? (Conscription)

The state, for better or worse, is a "super human" entity with rights that individual citizens don't have. This includes the taking of the occasional human life as a punishment for a crime.

~String

What you believe is its own. But bloodthirsty glee at state-sanctioned homicide is still ignorant, myopic, and brutal.

Well, I can get behind the "bloodthirsty" part of that criticism. The suggestions of torture, etc. are kind of beyond the pale.

As far as the "state-sanctioned homicide" part goes: meh. Not that I'm gleeful, but this is justice.

Back