Darwin's Is Wrong About Sexuality

Status
Not open for further replies.
..I suggest that we replace sexual-selection theory with a new approach that I call social selection theory. I argue that reproductive social behavior, including mate choice and family organization, can be completely explained by focusing solely on the direct ecological benefits each individual obtains from the interactions it has with others. Indirect genetic benefits can be ignored; they don't realistically factor into mating decisions at all.

I think someone conviently forgot why Darwin proposed sexual selection: to explain differences between the sexes that cannot be explained by natural selection.

If you examine the millions of plant and animal species in the world, you find countless exceptions to this theory.
Ok, there are exceptions. So what? tell me where anyone said sexual selection applied to every single living species in the world?
Sexual selection theory also teaches that because eggs are larger and more expensive to produce, females must conserve this resource by playing hard to get.
But in fact, sperm are not cheap. The relevant comparison is not between individual sperm and egg, but between ejaculate and egg. An ejaculate often has a million sperm whereas an individual egg is often a million times as large as an individual sperm, making the mating investment of both male and female about the same.[/quote
Wrong. Sperm IS cheap. Males can ejaculate day after day, for all their life. Females are born with only a certain number of eggs, and they will never produce more. And in most species of animals, it is in females that the zygote grows into a baby, and when that baby is born, it is the female who has to take care of it. Feed it, protect it, etc.
Therefore in most cases when talking about reproduction, the costs of being a female are astronomical compared to the costs of being a male.
Supporting the equal costs idea are ever-lengthening lists of species where males choose their mates as carefully as females select theirs. Known as "partial sex-role reversal," this phenomenon has been documented in over 50 species of insects spanning 11 orders.
insects... insects (usually) don't take care of their babies (an exception being those giant burrowing cockroaches, who care for their babies for 9 months)
"Non-human primates show us what many single women in America know—sometimes it's very hard to get a date." Female rhesus monkeys, lion-tail macaques, and baboons may offer sex to males, yet males regularly refuse. Female lion-tail macaques initiate almost 70 percent of sexual encounters but only 59 percent of those solicitations end in mounts.
and of course both species have males and females that look very much alike.

ugh... because obviously neither you nor that guy understand sexual selection, here, please read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexual_selection
notice it says "Within a species, one sex (typically females) acts as a limiting resource for the other (typically males)."
TYPICALLY. Yes, there are exceptions. That's irrelevant. If one sex doesn't act as a limiting resource for the other, then there's no sexual selection. That doesn't always happen. Oh wow, big deal.
Sexual selection depends on the success of certain individuals over others of the same sex, in relation to the propagation of the species; while natural selection depends on the success of both sexes, at all ages, in relation to the general conditions of life. --Charles Darwin, 1871.
The sexual struggle is of two kinds: in the one it is between the individuals of the same sex, generally the males, in order to drive away or kill their rivals, the females remaining passive; while in the other, the struggle is likewise between the individuals of the same sex, in order to excite or charm those of the opposite sex, generally the females, which no longer remain passive, but select the more agreeable partners. --Charles Darwin, 1871.

oh, and next time it may help if you don't post whole novels at once. That's why (at least I) don't reply to your posts, not because I don't have any arguments, but because I don't want to read 5 pages of bullcrap all at once, and then have to reply.

buddha is wrong about sexuality

don't forget buddha 95% of the planet will agree with me

a mans sexuality revolves around VAGINA, you know, p***y ?

spuriousmonkey said:
How do these quotes disprove Darwin's points? (twat)
By asserting that the distinguishing and sometimes unexplainable features of males have not developed because of sexual selection but because of social selection.

Sexual selection may explain part of the development of males. That sexual selection is not only about male-female but also about same-sex sexual needs.

I can add to it that sexual selection as a word primarily relates to same-sex not opposite sex mating. The only thing that males develop specifically needed for mating is their reproductive organs (which in any case have dual functions --- the nature does not see same-sex needs and reproductive needs as opposites, when it developed reproductive organs it also made sure that they also perform the function of same-sex sexual bonding, whether or not they perform the task of reproduction.)

And so we should call it reproductive selection, not sexual selection. Sexual selection is between same-sex. Reproeductive selection takes into account the opposite sex.

The reproductive organs are also sexual organs and defecatory organs. Reproductive function is not to be confused with the sexual function.

leopold99 said:
buddha is wrong about sexuality

don't forget buddha 95% of the planet will agree with me

a mans sexuality revolves around VAGINA, you know, p***y ?
(disillusioned) parrot!

WhisperBlade said:
I think Darwin's in his grave rolling back and forth, laughing at this topic.

"Is he a right winger?"

That's funneh! :p
He's rolling because his cult followers are fighting a losing battle.

spuriousmonkey said:
I think someone conviently forgot why Darwin proposed sexual selection: to explain differences between the sexes that cannot be explained by natural selection.
That is why we are saying that his entire line of thinking was flawed. He made a BIG assumption that the primary and exclusive funciton of the species is to 'exist' and reproduce at any cost. There was no qualititative angle to it. And so for anything to be 'validated' it must add to 'procreation' in some way.

A strong heterosexual ideology is also evident. Apparently, being against religion doesn't mean that you are free from all the subtle but strong biases that religion inculcates.

WhisperBlade said:
I think Darwin's in his grave rolling back and forth, laughing at this topic.

That's funneh! :p
Johan Roughgarden is a serious biologist at a reputed university. If Darwin has any intelligence at all, he should stop laughing and be worried about the future of Darwinism.
WhisperBlade said:
"Is he a right winger?"
No. and neither is Spuriousmonkey, or the alpha wolf.

The heterosexual ideology can exist with ease with both religion and science.

Darwin brought in the ideology into the realms of science, while he opposed religion as such.

As much as it would surprise you the world doesn't consist of the two binaries of religion and science. (or black and white or hetero/homo or anything else)

It seems even other aspects of Darwin is being challenged, although I do not know of their validity. consider this:

When Darwin's The Origin of Species was published in 1859, it was believed that he had put forward a theory that could account for the extraordinary variety of living things. He had observed that there were different variations within the same species. For instance, while wandering through England's animal fairs, he noticed that there were many different breeds of cow, and that stockbreeders selectively mated them and produced new breeds. Taking that as his starting point, he continued with the logic that "living things can naturally diversify within themselves," which means that over a long period of time all living things could have descended from a common ancestor.

However, this assumption of Darwin's about "the origin of species" was not actually able to explain their origin at all. Thanks to developments in genetic science, it is now understood that increases in variety within one species can never lead to the emergence of another new species. What Darwin believed to be "evolution," was actually "variation."

(excerpted from Darwin refuted )

I mean how can we believe Darwin, and assume that he was not biased when his theories validate (in fact require) so-called heterosexuality and totally negate non-reproductive sexual needs or sideline them or make them less important biologically?

When the evidences are so strongly to the contrary!

Why was he blind to all the contrary evidence?

spuriousmonkey said:
Proof of Darwin's views
Yes and that is what we are disproving!
spuriousmonkey said:
Proof of sexual selection
That shows sexual selection as farce!
spuriousmonkey said:
Nonsense.
When you challenge the professor of Biological studies at a reputed university who has done extensive work, you are required to present hard evidences to say she is speaking nonsense. Especially, when she is justifiying every word of her with evidences.

DUH!

Last edited:
WhisperBlade said:
On a fun note, I'm sure if you told guys this, they'd be totally excited.
Thank you Whisperblade. I think this thread needs some fun. Where is Giambattista?

Of course many of the lies that scientists get away with today were not said by Darwin. But they are all based on the line of thinking that Darwin initiated. Darwin is the root of that sick mentality. He sowed the seeds. And that is why if you want to blast the lies you have to strike at Darwinism.

Buddha1 said:
Of course many of the lies that scientists get away with today were not said by Darwin. But they are all based on the line of thinking that Darwin initiated. Darwin is the root of that sick mentality. He sowed the seeds. And that is why if you want to blast the lies you have to strike at Darwinism.

Sounds to me like you have a vendetta against Darwin. Really I think he did good research for his time. Alot of people do alot of research and fail to have a correct theory. But none the less I still beleive "Survival of the fittest" or "Natural Selection" Are to very very good theorys. They may have a few problems here and there. But for the most part I'd say he did a good job.

Ricky Houy said:
Sounds to me like you have a vendetta against Darwin. Really I think he did good research for his time. Alot of people do alot of research and fail to have a correct theory. But none the less I still beleive "Survival of the fittest" or "Natural Selection" Are to very very good theorys. They may have a few problems here and there. But for the most part I'd say he did a good job.
I have been told on this thread that people before Darwin were already working on the evolution theory.

I have not much to say about the evolution theory though. I'm not a biologist. It could be or could not be true as far as I'm concerned.

But I have real problems with some of the idea that is intrinsic to the theory of natural selection --- or even of 'survival of the fittest' --- for the notion of who is the fittest is obviously flawed!

I think most scientific theories of this kind, in any case, take a very myopic and part view of the entire thing and in their eagerness to provide an analysis leave out the essence of the thing in question --- in this case a matter of life and death --- our existence and its purpose.

Buddha1 said:
I have been told on this thread that people before Darwin were already working on the evolution theory.

Well, his research was very strong in the support of it.

Buddha1 said:
I have not much to say about the evolution theory though. I'm not a biologist. It could be or could not be true as far as I'm concerned.

Well, then what is your vendetta with this man?

Buddha1 said:
But I have real problems with some of the idea that is intrinsic to the theory of natural selection --- or even of 'survival of the fittest' --- for the notion of who is the fittest is obviously flawed!

How? Think about it. If we went into nucleur war only roachs would live correct? Couldn't you say they are the fittest for nucleur war?

Buddha1 said:
I think most scientific theories of this kind, in any case, take a very myopic and part view of the entire thing and in their eagerness to provide an analysis leave out the essence of the thing in question --- in this case a matter of life and death --- our existence and its purpose.

I think that is a very good and well stated point. But unfortunitly the world does not work in this way. But it is hard to tell that we even have a purpose. Like did the dinosuars have a purpose? I think that question could be answered with the food chain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back