Dark Ages

S

science man

Hey I recently saw a Family Guy episode where they said that if Christianity didn't exist so the Dark Ages wouldn't have happened and therefore we would be much more advanced then we are right now. Is that true? If the Dark Ages didn't happen would we be much more advanced in tech and science? I know the answer is probably yes but I just find it very depressing to believe because I am high tech guy.

The Dark Ages are only called that because we don't know as much about them as we know about some other periods of history. It's not so much that learning and knowledge were stifled.

it is also a little condescending to call it the dark ages. was the time right before or right after particularly hopeful or so great? no, not that i am aware of.

I was told that the Dark Ages was a time where nobody believe in god and therefore they went chaotic. Therefore resulting in the inability to concentrate and make scientific advacements.

In Europe, practically everybody believed in one god or another.

Hey I recently saw a Family Guy episode where they said that if Christianity didn't exist so the Dark Ages wouldn't have happened and therefore we would be much more advanced then we are right now. Is that true? If the Dark Ages didn't happen would we be much more advanced in tech and science? I know the answer is probably yes but I just find it very depressing to believe because I am high tech guy.

I was told that the Dark Ages was a time where nobody believe in god and therefore they went chaotic. Therefore resulting in the inability to concentrate and make scientific advacements.

The Italian scholar Frances Petrarch coined the phrase Dark Age. He said, "Amidst the errors there shone forth men of genius, no less keen were their eyes, although they were surrounded by darkness and dense gloom". Petrarch was criticizing the stagnation of accomplishments by the secular. Religion and belief in God didn’t disappear during that time in history.

From Wikipedia,
The Dark Ages is a term in historiography referring to a period of cultural decline or societal collapse that supposedly took place in Western Europe between the fall of Rome and the eventual recovery of learning.

The Middle Ages of European history (adjective form medieval or mediæval) was a period in history which lasted for roughly a millennium, commonly dated from the fall of the Western Roman Empire in the 5th century to the beginning of the Early Modern Period in the 16th century, marked by the division of Western Christianity in the Reformation, the rise of humanism in the Italian Renaissance, and the beginnings of European overseas expansion.

Until the Renaissance (and for some time after that), the standard scheme of history was to divide history into six ages, inspired by the biblical six days of creation, or four monarchies based on Daniel 2:40. The early Renaissance historians, in their glorification of all things classical, declared two periods in history, that of Ancient times and that of the period referred to as the "Dark Age".

When modern scholarly study of the Middle Ages arose in the 19th century, the term "Dark Ages" was at first kept, with all its critical overtones. Although it was never the more formal term (universities named their departments "medieval history" not "Dark Age history"), it was widely used, including in such classics as Edward Gibbon's The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire, which expressed the author's contempt for the "rubbish of the Dark Ages". However, the early 20th century saw a radical re-evaluation of the Middle Ages, and with it a calling into question of the terminology of darkness. Historiographer Denys Hay exemplified this when he spoke ironically of "the lively centuries which we call dark". It became clear that serious scholars would either have to redefine the term or abandon it.

The period from the fall of Rome to just before the Renaissance saw a marked loss in knowledge in all areas and a repression of the arts and sciences by the christians. The turning point was the bubonic plague which so decimated the serf work force that the cost of labor sky rocketed spurring invention and the rediscovery of Greek and Roman knowledge in the booty brought back from the crusades. This along with increasing foreign trade and the wealth it generated sparked the Renaissance and Reformation.

To give and idea of the loss, our engineering abilities did not equal Rome's until about the 18th century. In math we passed Rome with Newton. In medicine it is not until the advent of germ theory that we catch up. A thousand years lost to religious madness and we still aren't free from it.

What do you make of the renaissance period that came a few hundred years later, with all its advancement in philosophy, art, music and architecture?

it is also a little condescending to call it the dark ages. was the time right before or right after particularly hopeful or so great? no, not that i am aware of.

We call it 'De Middeleeuwen', which translates to 'The Middle Ages'.

If the Dark Ages didn't happen would we be much more advanced in tech and science?

It's the other way around, we wouldn't have anything if it weren't for those times, let alone the technology. Progress is about the whole process.

The term 'Dark Ages' is a wrong one, it's not been used by human scientists for some time now. If I don't remember it wrong, 'dark ages' term comes from 'La Moyen Age'.

It's also not considered as 'dark', nor any other colour. It's also related to the fact that for again a sometime, renaissance is not considered as the beginning of modernism.

What has all these got to the with Family guy? It's a comedy cartoon show.

The period from the fall of Rome to just before the Renaissance saw a marked loss in knowledge in all areas and a repression of the arts and sciences by the christians. The turning point was the bubonic plague which so decimated the serf work force that the cost of labor sky rocketed spurring invention and the rediscovery of Greek and Roman knowledge in the booty brought back from the crusades. This along with increasing foreign trade and the wealth it generated sparked the Renaissance and Reformation.

I've also read that it was decreed by the Catholic Church that The Bible be the only book that was read, the Bible only be printed in Latin and at the time only the clergy and the small handful of educated men knew Latin.

You were told wrong.
You likely would have been executed as a heretic if you claimed to not believe in God in Europe during the dark ages.

What do you make of the renaissance period that came a few hundred years later, with all its advancement in philosophy, art, music and architecture?

Yes but as you said, that was years later. Meaning, if science advancements were made in the Dark Ages then by the time the Renaissance rolled around the science achievments made in that time would've been much greater than they turned out to be.

It's the other way around, we wouldn't have anything if it weren't for those times, let alone the technology. Progress is about the whole process.

The term 'Dark Ages' is a wrong one, it's not been used by human scientists for some time now. If I don't remember it wrong, 'dark ages' term comes from 'La Moyen Age'.

It's also not considered as 'dark', nor any other colour. It's also related to the fact that for again a sometime, renaissance is not considered as the beginning of modernism.

What has all these got to the with Family guy? It's a comedy cartoon show.

I hope you're right.

Yes but as you said, that was years later. Meaning, if science advancements were made in the Dark Ages then by the time the Renaissance rolled around the science achievments made in that time would've been much greater than they turned out to be.

i think there is a tendency to paint with a broad brush when we try to understand past centuries. how do you explain all those years with a few pages in a text book?

Take China; they didn't have dark ages as Europe experienced, but they didn't start current technologic and scientific revolution. They had the technology of printing and explosives, they had been able to travel as far as African shores. So it can not be formulated like "if there wasn't any Dark Ages (Middle Ages, Religious Ages, however you want to call it) we could be 500 years ahead". Those people in Europe were trying to survive against the Black Death (maybe term "Dark" refers to this point). Actually I strongly believe that they had started to lose their deep trust in their God around those times. In next couple of centuries they created new technology, vision, methods and understanding while searching for an exit.

If we could politicize our times as "second Dark Age", that would be some sort of motivation to create better options and possibilities. General tendency is towards blaming the past. I hope future generations will not do the similar mistake and call our times with names, instead of seeing the contributions to great human history.

Take China; they didn't have dark ages as Europe experienced, but they didn't start current technologic and scientific revolution. They had the technology of printing and explosives, they had been able to travel as far as African shores. So it can not be formulated like "if there wasn't any Dark Ages (Middle Ages, Religious Ages, however you want to call it) we could be 500 years ahead". Those people in Europe were trying to survive against the Black Death (maybe term "Dark" refers to this point). Actually I strongly believe that they had started to lose their deep trust in their God around those times. In next couple of centuries they created new technology, vision, methods and understanding while searching for an exit.

it is true that diseases such as the plague need to be taken into account but i dont see how anyone can know what people were thinking hundreds of years ago because it is often times just not accurate.

i think there is a tendency to paint with a broad brush when we try to understand past centuries. how do you explain all those years with a few pages in a text book?

John what do you mean? I wasn't saying you could explain years of work in a few pages. Clear your mind and reread what I said.

Back