Dangers of Santa Claus...

Not what I was told. I suppose it all depends on parents.
Bad parents do bad parenting jobs with Santa or without him.

I have very good parents, but they never have been in that "winter solstice is the giving time" stuff,
it's just the time when you have fun when it's very dark and cold outside,
and very warm and pleasurable inside.

It is for those who believe he is real.
Until outer forces make to believe otherwise.

DarkEyedBeauty said:
I'm not just attacking SC, I included the Tooth Fairy, the Easter Bunny. Any fairytale, really.

Agreed! When we lie to our children, we're doing nothing but showing them that lying is okay. Ain't no other way to take it ..even for those who don't like taking it that way!

And if it's okay to lie about Santa and the Easter Bunny, isn't it, then, okay for politicians to lie about the economy or the state of county or state or union? All of those politicians learned that lying is okay ....and they learned it via the Easter Bunny and Santa and such!

It's funny, ain't it??? We lie like hell to 'em when they're young, and at the very same time we try to tell them that lying is a bad thing?! ...LOL!!!

Baron Max

My "Santa" was not a saint man but an old man who was responsible for the cold weather in the winter, and he didn't come on Christmas eve but on New Year's eve. I never wrote letters to him, and was surprised to hear on tv one day that he actually lived somewhere, with a real address. He didn't have a wife, but a young daughter. I always thought of him as make-believe, because he always brought what I asked from my parents.

As a child, I always had a clear distinction between make-believe and reality, so I never thought my parents were lying when they were playing along. But they didn't play with me much, I recall mostly solitary play time. Santa and others were not brought up in my discussions and games with peers, too. Hah, I never played as if there were fairies in my games. A tooth fairy is something I find ridiculous.

But one could argue that such was the Soviet upbringing which avoided superstition as much as possible.

Any fairytale, really.

I have a big problem with this. You're making the mistake of expecting children to be like adults and seeing childhood as something that people should just get over as soon as possible. Did you really hate your own childhood make-believe days that much?

Moreover, when you say to your child that fairies, etc, are not real, he goes to other children and spreads the word, interfering with other parents' intentions. I dislike this a lot.

Although I agree that fairy tales and Christmas should not be about consumerism.

Whitewolf, I thought that we agreed that imagination is good, and their own fairytales that they would make up are ok, just not something that constitutes lying to them?

Yeh, but they read about fairies and dragons in books; that's where the whole fairy tale thing starts. As soon as kids hear it, it becomes their own, and if you tell them it's not true you're either spoiling their fun or alienating yourself from their world.

Besides, those characters are a big part of culture. They are fictional but communicate traditions and ideas which have been very real for hundreds of years. There's always truth somewhere in fairy tales. I'm not a Christian and I have no idea why the easter bunny is there, but I'm sure someone knows.

Most adults know the difference between fantasy and reality. We make sure that kids know that there are no big blue monsters under their beds. However, we assure them that Santa is real. They believe us. They don't comprehend the willing suspension of disbelief for the sake of the game. Santa is a lie and the discovery of that fact for many children is traumatic. Does it have lasting effects? Who knows...

Christ, its not that big adeal, so a little kid gets some presents from 'santa', the kid is in a dream land of happiness, a jolly fat man in red turns up and finishes the brandy, takes the carrot 4 his reindeer, and leaves nothing but pleasure in the kids heart...i mean even if it is slightly false, everyone needs a litte fantasie in their lives -especially kids. :cool:

oh, I still have a lot of fantasies and go dragon hunting on holidays,
but there is no need for deliberate lies.

Hehe, i can see where your coming from :m:

So what did your parents say about this when you were little?

It is for those who believe he is real.
Until outer forces make to believe otherwise
They are the ones who made them believe it was real in the first place :bugeye:

You're making the mistake of expecting children to be
like adults- whitewolf
Children are not a different species from adults. We expect children to be truthful at all times and that's not being taught.

they read about fairies and dragons in books; that's where the whole fairy tale thing starts. As soon as kids hear it, it becomes their own, and if you tell them it's not true you're either spoiling their fun or alienating yourself from their world.-whitewolf
Why not have books about real animals that contribute to society, it can even be a fairytale story about that animal.

I'm not a Christian and I have no idea why the easter bunny is there, but I'm sure someone knows.-Whitewolf
That's the point! Even if you're not a Christian at somewhere in your life
you would know about easter instead of some damn bunny! If the truth were to be told.

so a little kid gets some presents from 'santa', the kid is in a dream land of happiness, a jolly fat man in red turns up and finishes the brandy, takes the carrot 4 his reindeer, and leaves nothing but pleasure in the kids heart - john smith
My children know they get their presents from their parents and family at that time and they get nothing but pleasure knowing their parents love them and bring them joy....not some fat man in a suit climbing down a damn chimney.

I have kids and perpetrated the "Santa" lie on them. I am now ashamed. If you don't have kids, then you probably never had to come up with lie upon lie to support the Santa thing. If your kids are even remotely intelligent:

"We don't have a chimney Daddy. How will Santa get in?"
"How do reindeer fly Daddy?"
"How does Santa know who's good and bad Daddy?"
"How does Santa get all over the world in one night?"
"Why didn't Santa get me what I wrote in my letter?"
"How do all those presents fit in that little sled? Is it magic?"
"Can we visit Santa at the north pole Daddy? Why not?"

And we just gotta love the story of Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer (the most famous reindeer of all!!!).

Outline:

- Rudolph is born with a birth defect that makes his nose glow.
- Rudolph is persecuted by his peers and rejected by his friends.
- Santa does nothing to stop this and, in fact, willfully ignores the situation.
- On a desperate night, Santa realizes that he can use Rudolph to his advantage
- Only after successfully guiding the expedition for that night, is Rudolph accepted into Santa's "family".

But it does have a catchy tune... :)

Back