Cryptozoology

Do you think there is merit in the study of cryptozoology?

• Definitely:the World is full of mystery beasties!

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Yes - but serious crytozoologists must beware of fakery...

Votes: 9 45.0%
  • It's the domain of romantics and dreamers, with a scant few cases worth pondering over.

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • All "undiscovered animals" are nonsense. Don't waste thought on it.

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • I really don't care - so what if animals exist or not?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
A Canadian said:
there was a creature with only a few know photographs, which was tought to be extinced since the dinasour age, but back 100 more years ago (im not 100% on the date) (it was a shitty black and white picture so i can only assume). a bunch of fisher men brought a half decomposed corspe onboard their ship of a creature with a long neck, large body and a few fins, and very sharp teeth, they got a good couple of pictures of it, but unfortently they threw the corpse back in the water due to its stink. the creature was about the size of a well feed shark and back then it would of been hard to fake such a gursome looking photo of such a thing.

I think I heard of that too: the fishermen were Japanese, I'm sure. Some considered it to be a severely mutilated shark corpse - others something different.

Or are you thinking of the megamouth shark? That's very likely a living fossil, since its mouth is on the end of its snout rather than located ventrally - like ancestral sharks from Devonian-Permian times, unlike other modern sharks.

Here's the pic of the creature caught by the Japanese fishing boat. They threw it back because they were worried it would ruin their cargo of fresh fish. Hard to say what it is...

I think that creature was what we call a Pleasurasaurus, a few have been captured in modern times by fishing boats.

the day they catch a giant squid alive and display it in a zoo I am soo going to see that!

craterchains (Norval said:
I think that creature was what we call a Pleasurasaurus, a few have been captured in modern times by fishing boats.
Noooooo... There is no evidence that a plesiosaur has been netted.

:m: Peace.

the giant squid, the red panda, and the (god of spelling help me) Cylicanth (You know... that really old fish) are all good examples of legendary or lost creatures that turned out to be real. I'm just not so sure there are so many more that could turn out real. What mythological creatures are left that are plausible. Can we rule out centaurs and gryphons and other silly mix and match creatures?

goofyfish said:
Noooooo... There is no evidence that a plesiosaur has been netted.

after a brief search im going to agree with the fish here, I haven't found any accounts of pleasiosaurs being netted by fishermen.

Thank you goofyfish. I'm sure they only named it that because they were so sure that they were never going to have to say it.

A Canadian

You misinterpreted what I said about old fools. I wasn't calling you an old fool. I'm just saying that getting older isn't a guarantee of an increase in wisdom. I'd say that with learning and experience comes wisdom.

to spy moose and goofyfish

it will be hard to find any thing of this on the internet if your trying to search on there

ive read this incendent in a few books and saw it on one documentry on TV
the internet is so faulty... :(

you find more if you do real searches rather than on internet sites, where poeple simply lie to get attention, you will get more information

A Canadian said:
to spy moose and goofyfish... you find more if you do real searches rather than on internet sites... you will get more information
And you will find that if you pay attention to what you are reading, you will find that I never mentioned the internet. As to the plesiosaur, I stand by my statement that there is no scientifc evidence that this creature is alive or has been captured dead or alive.

The "creature I mention was cought by a Japanese fishing boat in the 1950's off the coast of Japan. Another I remember was cought off the coast of Chile in the very early 1900's. I may have the name wrong, but it is a semi flat bulbous body that had 4 flippered apendages a tail that reminded me of a beaver and some what of a long neck and smallish head. I definatly could have the name wrong. But it was identified by modern scientists. It was on the net I came accross this information about 3 years ago when doing searches about the beasts of the bible.

Thats the best I can remember about what I saw and read. the best pic was of the Japan fishing boat with the thing hauled up in its tackle crane.

...and thrown over the side before any study could be done. Rather difficult to classify an animal strictly from a photograph. As for modern scientists identifying one... who? I'd be happy to read any journal paper you could recommend for me to follow up.

If any plesiosaurs had survived the Cretaceous mass extinction, you might expect them to have rapidly diversified again afterwards - and filled up their previous ecological niches throughout the oceans. This would leave no room for land mammals to evolve into whales & dolphins. If giant acquatic mammals and reptiles can co-evolve, surely whales (or something similar) would have appeared BEFORE the extinction? Mammals had already been around a very long time.

If giant marine reptiles do still exist, it seems unlikely that they would have remained so few in number that there is no fossil record of them throughout the Cenozoic Era.

Actually, marine biologists did do a study of the carcass in the 90's based off of the photo. It turned out to most closely match up to a species of shark (I don't remember which species) that had undergone some serious decay. They compared known remains of this type of shark to the image in the picture and they pretty much matched dead on. These sharks usually die out in the middle of the ocean, so their bodies are rare. They demonstrated the decay patterns of the flesh and showed how the unevenness of decay could cause the part of the skeleton between the dorsal fin and the nose to be easily mistaken for a long, serpentine neck.

It probably was the megamouth shark (Megachasma pelagios), of which very few have been caught - itself a remarkable anachronism, as I mentioned before.

Back