Critical thinking

Would teaching critical thinking skills and practices in schools be a good thing?

• I'm not religious, and I think no, definitely not.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm not religious, and I'm not sure, or I think it depends on other things.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Which society? Critical thinkers are more concerned with conservative solutions.

You definitely have the wrong idea about what critical thinking is.
Critical thinking is solely concerned about pragmatism.
No ideology at all is implied.
It is about the scientific method.

You definitely have the wrong idea about what critical thinking is.
Critical thinking is solely concerned about pragmatism.
No ideology at all is implied.
It is about the scientific method.

Yes I know. :)

Its concerned with whats practical and feasible.

And its a highly conservative mode of thinking. I come across it everyday.

You have these little ruts and you have people going round and round in them, the ruts get deeper and soon they cannot see over the edge. But it does not matter, cos they are all looking down anyway, thinking they are getting somewhere, when mostly, they are just going around in circles.

Yes I know. :)

Its concerned with whats practical and feasible.

And its a highly conservative mode of thinking.

Sorry, Sam but you are wrong.
It is not conservative at all.
In fact, it is anything BUT conservative.
It is not interested in maintaining status quo, but questioning it every step of the way from the reliability of source of the information to the interpretation of the data.

Sorry, Sam but you are wrong.
It is not conservative at all.
In fact, it is anything BUT conservative.
It is not interested in maintaining status quo, but questioning it every step of the way from the reliability of source of the information to the interpretation of the data.

Thats called conservative thinking in science. The more conservative, the greater the rigor, the greater the exactitude. Maybe you're confusing it with politics?

Last edited:
Thats called conservative thinking in science. The more conservative, the greater the rigor, the greater the exactitude. Maybe you're confusing it with politics?

It seems I was.

So what is the problem with rigorus examination and scrutiny, as opposed to simply accepting what one is taught is "truth"?

What is wrong with questioning status-quo?

It seems I was.

So what is the problem with rigorus examination and scrutiny, as opposed to simply accepting what one is taught is "truth"?

What is wrong with questioning status-quo?

Nothing at all, if you want to do away with "flexibility, adaptability" and most importantly, "the need to take precedent with a pinch of salt". Critical thinking in science would mean you need to work within a strict framework of dogma about what is considered the "right way" of doing things.

One example that I have frequently come across is that of reductionism. ie expecting the parts to represent the whole. Its why we have had the protein wars, followed by the fat wars and are now descending into the carbohydrate wars. None of which make ANY sense and have contributed very little to health, for example.

Unfortunately, at present, we are limited in science by having no better method than of isolating variables and studying them as representative entities. This is one example of the drawback of critical thinking. [You can compare this with the holistic approach in Eastern thinking, for instance]

One example that I have frequently come across is that of reductionism. ie expecting the parts to represent the whole. Its why we have had the protein wars, followed by the fat wars and are now descending into the carbohydrate wars. None of which make ANY sense and have contributed very little to health, for example.

Unfortunately, at present, we are limited in science by having no better method than of isolating variables and studying them as representative entities. This is one example of the drawback of critical thinking. [You can compare this with the holistic approach in Eastern thinking, for instance]

Someone practicing proper critical thinking methods will take all these aspects into account.
A holistic to health and wellness is a natural result of critical thinking.

Someone practicing proper critical thinking methods will take all these aspects into account.

If they are taking outside abstract variables that have not yet happened into account, they are not practising critical thinking.

Critical thinking does preclude creative thinking. They are opposite ends of a spectrum. And yup, we can do both at the same time. But thats not your question. If everyone is being trained into doing step by step thinking, who's really thinking? Creative thinking means being daring, uninhibited, revolutionary, unpredictable; critical thinking is conservative, practical, feasible and predictable.
You don't think that both are useful ways of thinking?
That both are skills that can be learned?
That someone who knows how to think critically is therefore incapable of thinking creatively, and vice versa?

Did you see the link I gave by example that described how a school curriculum should teach and encourage both critical thinking and creative thinking?

I don't quite get what you're thinking, Sam.
It's as if someone suggested teaching children to swim, and you replied "But then they wouldn't know how to walk!":shrug:

Critical thinking is assessing what is evident and making a decision based on knowledge and intuition, making that leap of faith as you will that allows you to make a judgement, discovery, or decision. It may or may not be harmful, helpful, or moral.

You are talking about common sense. How do you teach grown people to use common sense? The basics should be taught at an early age but it is much more abstract than the repetition\memorization that essentially encompasses all teaching methods.

What is common sense? Isn't it a logical pathway of finding a solution. What about a cascade of cause and effect. If "this happens then that happens" vs "if this happens then that must be what happens". Is that common sense?

That is the problem. When you get conditioned to respond to specific methods of learning then common sense often suffers. There is, to an extent, loss in ability to use common sense. I believe the reason is because things are laid out for you and you are really not thinking at all but just repeating what may not even be correct. If you do not have definitive proof then you are just making a guess. An educated guess? Perhaps. Does it really matter? There really is only right and wrong.

So why learn about critical thinking when any perspectives that deviate from the norm will be ridiculed anyway?

Last edited:
I did not realise critical thinking was a pseudonym for atheism. :rolleyes:

It is not really,_it does lead to freethinking though) but name the religion that promotes critical thinking. Specially orthodox one. Mormon freethinker, Muslim freethinker, etc. are all oxymorons...

Do parents want schools to teach their children to critically examine their beliefs?

Oh sorry, I didn't get this side of the question first. Well, I would say no, at least not in the States where most parents are theists. Generally theists don't encourage critical thinking because that would leave to the questioning of beliefs...

Yeah, like, are you willing to pay 20 bucks for a cup of coffee if it means that the farmers who grow it will get a fair return? Or would you rather continue to screw them so you can get it for a dollar?

I am not sure what are you trying to show here, this is a really bad analogy, for whatever it is. Buying a cup of coffee is not a charity action. In the freemarkets we buy coffee from whoever can provide the best coffee for the lowest price. We don't think about their side of the deal...

You don't think that both are useful ways of thinking?
That both are skills that can be learned?
That someone who knows how to think critically is therefore incapable of thinking creatively, and vice versa?

Did you see the link I gave by example that described how a school curriculum should teach and encourage both critical thinking and creative thinking?

Yeah, but like I said, these are teh same schools churning out people without the ability to read or do simple math. So I'm not really impressed with the turnout.

I am not sure what are you trying to show here, this is a really bad analogy, for whatever it is. Buying a cup of coffee is not a charity action. In the freemarkets we buy coffee from whoever can provide the best coffee for the lowest price. We don't think about their side of the deal...

Correct. Thank you. Whats stopping you from thinking about their side of the deal?

Why should I? I could, but why should I?

(I noticed you like to answer with questions, so I figured I would pay you back) :)

P.S.:We kind of got here into economics. The point is consumers don't need to understand producers. But producers need to understand consumers.

That is the problem. When you get conditioned to respond to specific methods of learning then common sense often suffers. There is, to an extent, loss in ability to use common sense. I believe the reason is because things are laid out for you and you are really not thinking at all but just repeating what may not even be correct. If you do not have definitive proof then you are just making a guess. An educated guess? Perhaps. Does it really matter? There really is only right and wrong.
I'm confused as to your perspective... are you arguing from the point of view of a theist who believes in the Bible?
I've bolded the bits that confuse me, as your claims of what Critical Thinking can lead to are far more applicable to someone brought up a theist.

Back