Criminals exiled

If I take the worst criminals & put them on a habitable but uninhabited planet with no way to return here ... ...

Hmmm... Sounds much like the French and Devil's Island years ago. Or the British and Oz.

Actually, though, I rather like the idea.:D Just give them garden tools and seeds and drop 'em off and forget 'em, I say.;)

Yes but I use another planet to have no possibility of escape & no possibility of an avenger getting to them. Plus they'd have more freedom of mobility.

Essentially tho I'm not punishing them. I'm making it impossible for them to harm anyone here.

I think we should exile all our undesirables to a series of caves and caverns under the Earth, where they would then proceed to build their own civilisation. They could even grow magical glowing lichen on the cave roof to provide them with light.

Yes but I use another planet to have no possibility of escape & no possibility of an avenger getting to them. Plus they'd have more freedom of mobility.

Essentially tho I'm not punishing them. I'm making it impossible for them to harm anyone here.

Yes, I understand your motivation and fully agree with it.

Until the civilization of exiled individuals grows strong enough to use five (or was it six?) magical brooches to teleport to the surface, and boldly assassinate the emperor who banished them!

I was just thinking about Australia last night and wondering how much of its early European "settlement" history was available.
How did they get along?
How long until they formed some sort of government?
Were there tribal formations and wars?
How long until they built ships?
How well did they get along with Native Australians?
Did they have their own Snake Pliskins?

Yes, that's intriguing.

Have Google. Will research.

I suspect England decided to change it from a penal colony then did away with any existing government. Hopefully we can find out.

I thought it odd that this topic came up and reminded me that I was going to start a thread here last night asking these questions.

What if sending all the undesirables and so called criminals to another planet as proposed and in time the planet populates and they progress and develop (even if it takes many years) to the point where they actually arm themselves with dangerous weapons and means to travel and then their army comes back to Earth and destroys the entire planet of Earth out of vengeance for having their “Type” banished, wouldn’t that be ironic?

What if sending all the undesirables and so called criminals to another planet as proposed and in time the planet populates and they progress and develop (even if it takes many years) to the point where they actually arm themselves with dangerous weapons and means to travel and then their army comes back to Earth and destroys the entire planet of Earth out of vengeance for having their “Type” banished, wouldn’t that be ironic?

Sounds like it could be a decent movie.

That's pointless. We can simply make use of the scums' bodies, maybe feed them to zoos or something. Or experiment on them, living or dead, nobody cares for them anyway.

I was just thinking about Australia last night and wondering how much of its early European "settlement" history was available.

Heaps and heaps and heaps of it.

Whole multi-volume histories have been written.

European settlement of Australia is incredibly well documented, on the whole, since it only started in 1788.

How did they get along?

Initially, they struggled. A lot of people died. The aboriginal people were an immense help in teaching the Europeans learn how to live in Australia.

How long until they formed some sort of government?

It was almost immediate. New South Wales was assigned a governor by the English government.

Were there tribal formations and wars?

No, but there were killings of aboriginal people.

How long until they built ships?

I don't know about this one. The early colonies were quite reliant on England for a while. It might be interesting to find out.

How well did they get along with Native Australians?

It varied.

Did they have their own Snake Pliskins?[/QUOTE]

Who?

Heaps and heaps and heaps of it.
I (obviously) know nothing about it, but am very interested,

Initially, they struggled. A lot of people died. The aboriginal people were an immense help in teaching the Europeans learn how to live in Australia.
I meant more, "How did they get along with each other".
Was it like a gang warfare environment and struggles for power?
Did they elect leaders and have their own prison system?
The image most people would get of such a penal colony would be one of anarchy, mob rule and power grabs.

It was almost immediate. New South Wales was assigned a governor by the English government.
A criminal, or more like a civilian prison warden?
I was always guven the impression they just dropped them off on the island and left them to their own devices.
Was this not the case?

No, but there were killings of aboriginal people.
Similar to the American settlers wars with the native Americans?

I don't know about this one. The early colonies were quite reliant on England for a while. It might be interesting to find out.
I guess this implies that they did not simply drop off criminals and pull up anchor.
I had no idea any settlements got support form the Kingdom.

Snake Pliskin was the lead character in a movie called "Escape from New York".
The premise was that Manhattan was a penal colony for the worst criminal offenders.
They closed off all access to the island and dropped violent criminals off there to fend for themselves.
This is the image that I think many Americans have of the early days of Australia - this is the impression I was given in school.

Haven't begun research yet. Thanks, James R! I didn't know there was any English government there until much later. Interesting questions, one raven. I had the same impression of the early days.
In a way we've gotten off topic, in a way not. At some point I'd like to explore how different it might or might not be on another planet & with nothing from us but dropping them off with minimal supplies & tools. Would they come to have laws & criminals & jails?
Also, part of my purpose was to look at people's views on "justice". If they're not in prison or being executed, are they being punished? Are they getting away with it?

Back