Crime and Punishment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because he didn't think he'd get caught, of course. Probably didn't think he was doing anything wrong anyway, child rapists don't see what they are doing as wrong...they make all sorts of interesting mental justifications.

My thought? Wow, that's an appropriate punishment!
Would enjoy seeing my dad take 40 lashes on a trimonthly basis. I'd want to record it.
So the next time a panic attack or a flashback makes me cry and shake like a leaf...I have a nice video to play that makes me feel soooo much better.:)

I would have bet the farm on your response.:D But I didn't have any takers.:mad:

Because he didn't think he'd get caught, of course. Probably didn't think he was doing anything wrong anyway, child rapists don't see what they are doing as wrong...they make all sorts of interesting mental justifications.

of course they do. otherwise, they would just openly tell others what they are doing or not hide it. making mental justifications has nothing to do with knowing you are doing something illegal or wrong. a person can very well know that what they are doing is wrong but because they gain or get pleasure from it, they will do it if they can get away with it or think they can.

About as predictable as a sunrise...:shrug:

Despite what you said, that punishment is so bad, I have trouble believing anyone that knew about it would take any chance of being caught.

You would always be counting the days until your next lashing. Talk about having a nasty short timers attitude four times a year for 13 years. If anything it would only get worse with time.

of course they do. otherwise, they would just openly tell others what they are doing or not hide it. making mental justifications has nothing to do with knowing you are doing something illegal or wrong. a person can very well know that what they are doing is wrong but because they gain or get pleasure from it, they will do it if they can get away with it or think they can.

They know it's illegal. They know it's frowned on.
But a lot of abusers make themselves believe the child wants what they want.
http://www.allaboutcounseling.com/sexual_abuse.htm
Abusers often project attributes or qualities onto the children they abuse. These attributes are false, and are just in the mind of the abuser. A perpetrator may create false beliefs about a child’s wishes, desires, and likes, or try to bring the child up to their peer level (imagining a sexual attraction or relationship with them).

They may believe the child wants them to do the sexual acts. We often hear ridiculous statements from abusers such as, "he/she was a seductive child"; which is complete nonsense. It’s a complex and still unclear set of issues that drives childhood sexual abuse. However, it is up to adults to control their own behaviors.

However, according to the table of information cited from a survey below, apparently you are quite correct, Birch.
They do know it is wrong.
Apparently it's the serial pedophiles who convince themselves it's not wrong.

Most incestuous sex offenders had the following similar belief systems:

- Incest was defined as love and care.
- The sexual experience was described as extremely pleasurable, using words such as "blissful", "thrilling" and "exciting".
- Some incestuous sex offenders actually saw themselves in love with the child.
-About half claimed the love was mutual.
-These incestuous sex offenders were unresponsive to the children's attempts to stop the incest.
- Most perpetrators knew their behaviour was wrong.
-Many did not view their sexual acts as incest.
-Some not only manipulated and took advantage of their child's trust, but felt a sense of power from the trust.
-Almost all the fathers expressed a sense of excitement that they "had special rights" as the father to have sex with their children.:)puke:)
Gilgun, 1995, pp. 270-2766
http://www.child-abuse-effects.com/incestuous-sex-offenders.html

I now have to ask how does one walk out of a Walmart with a large flat screen TV without paying for it? Even if Walmart doesn't consider 3 billion dollars a year as something to worry about. That's a lot of people getting away with some major new stuff.

You are making 2 big mistakes:

1. You are assuming the big part of the 3 billion is high priced item, although I bet it is mostly $5, $10 $20. They put a clothes on and walk out in it and such.

2. You think that a huge organization cares about a relative small item in their budget, namely theft. It is the cost of business for them. They don't want the bad publicity, what would come with prosecuting small time theft.Also (we can assume) the thieves still shop there, so they are making profits on them...

EVERY retailer has to deal with theft. They just build it into the price (just like CC companies do it with CC fraud), it costs them less time and energy.

Think of it as a grocery store throwing away then spoiled and unsellable fruits and vegetables. It is the cost of doing business....

free tv anyone?

Walk in and buy the tv you want. Take the sticker the store puts on it. Load tv into car. Walk back in and put the sticker on the same tv.

Go return it.

The way his kid lived in terror until the next time...:D

Truthfully I have no idea what the child was feeling, but I do know she will be damaged for the rest of her life. There's almost nothing worse than a parent doing that to their own kids. But the only reason to justify a sentence of torture would be as a deterrent to others.

In his culture do we have any evidence to support the deterrent effect of this sentence?

You are making 2 big mistakes:

1. You are assuming the big part of the 3 billion is high priced item, although I bet it is mostly $5, $10 $20. They put a clothes on and walk out in it and such.

2. You think that a huge organization cares about a relative small item in their budget, namely theft. It is the cost of business for them. They don't want the bad publicity, what would come with prosecuting small time theft.Also (we can assume) the thieves still shop there, so they are making profits on them...

EVERY retailer has to deal with theft. They just build it into the price (just like CC companies do it with CC fraud), it costs them less time and energy.

Think of it as a grocery store throwing away then spoiled and unsellable fruits and vegetables. It is the cost of doing business....

Yes it is a cost of doing business. But it doesn't hurt if you can cut down on some of those losses.

free tv anyone?

Walk in and buy the tv you want. Take the sticker the store puts on it. Load tv into car. Walk back in and put the sticker on the same tv.

Go return it.

I'm sure they've already fixed that problem?:D Do you know anyone that has done it recently?

There's almost nothing worse than a parent doing that to their own kids. But the only reason to justify a sentence of torture would be as a deterrent to others.

Whatever the gentleman says.
(Sticks with happy shiny picture of own dad getting 40 lashes. Over, and over, and over....:D)

Nope, but about a year ago some guy asked my buddy to return stuff onto a wallmart card "for" him.

I suspect something might have been stolen.

My buddy returned the stuff and got a card. He grabbed an empty card as well and gave that guy the empty one.

I thought it was pretty funny.

Nope, but about a year ago some guy asked my buddy to return stuff onto a wallmart card "for" him.

I suspect something might have been stolen.

My buddy returned the stuff and got a card. He grabbed an empty card as well and gave that guy the empty one.

I thought it was pretty funny.

One things for sure, after your buddy gave the guy an empty card, it was stolen stuff. That's the kind of thing that might come back and bite you, when you least expect it.

Despite what you said, that punishment is so bad, I have trouble believing anyone that knew about it would take any chance of being caught.

You would always be counting the days until your next lashing. Talk about having a nasty short timers attitude four times a year for 13 years. If anything it would only get worse with time.

Where retribution is concerned, as in crime and punishment, only persons whose logic center is working correctly can process this concept of cause and effect.

What I find most alarming is that many people do not think along these lines, their brains are wired entirely differently and they may lack the capacity of empathy for others.

There is NO deterrent that registers with them, hence the reason why such are ineffective in preventing their actions. :(

Where retribution is concerned, as in crime and punishment, only persons whose logic center is working correctly can process this concept of cause and effect.

What I find most alarming is that many people do not think along these lines, their brains are wired entirely differently and they may lack the capacity of empathy for others.

There is NO deterrent that registers with them, hence the reason why such are ineffective in preventing their actions. :(

If that's true, why not just execute him, and be done with it? It seems to me the torture only really serves to gratify the victim if it doesn't serve to deter others from doing the crime. What do you think this guy is going to be like when his sentence is up and they let him out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back