Creator does not imply afterlife.

Roman

Banned
Banned
Let's hypothesize there was a creator. If something designed people, or earth, or whatever, why would this mean there's life after death? I see no relationship between a creator and the existence of the soul.

Anyone care to explain?

If God cared enough to create us with all of this questioning and yearning about an afterlife, one would suspect God intended there to be an afterlife.

If you believe in a creator, you either believe in a continuation, or that 'he' is some sort of lunatic who, for no reason, put this "afterlife" concept(one of the most prominant in human history) into our minds. If we end, all of the questioning meant nothing. But we were created (hypothesizing) by God, for reasons unbeknownst to us, but it's probably safe to assume it wasn't because he was bored. He didn't just throw us together into some sort of nonsensical robotic being -- we have the capacity to contemplate concepts far beyond the realm of actual human understanding(e.g. "eternity").

That would seem to be a clue.

Why? Why is an afterlife necessary for us? What if God was doing a great big experiment? What if the reasons for God's behavior is beyond us to comprehend, how does that imply continuation?

Do dogs go to heaven? They bleed, they hurt, they love, they die. All that yearning, and it just ends.

Creator does not imply afterlife.

Exactly.

It appears that if there is a 'God' then for most people, that logically means there is an afterlife... which is totally false as the two are not automatically related.

The concept of absolute and permanent death is something most humans can't handle and this is why they believe or hanker after an afterlife; regardless of what religion they follow.

Roman said:
Let's hypothesize there was a creator. If something designed people, or earth, or whatever, why would this mean there's life after death? I see no relationship between a creator and the existence of the soul.

Anyone care to explain?

You are right there is no reason to assume we would have an after life.

The reason why i believe in an after life is because God has told me there is. :) And i trust His word on it.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

KennyJC said:
It appears that if there is a 'God' then for most people, that logically means there is an afterlife

It's not a matter of logic, it's a matter of commonsense. The sources that tell you about God are the same sources that tell you about the afterlife. It would not be illogical to accept the former and reject the latter, but it wouldn't make much sense.

Besides, people don't say that about "God", they only say it about God - no quotes. Of course the existence of a generic "god" means nothing whatsoever, whereas the existence of the Christian God would mean quite a lot. Including the afterlife.

which is totally false as the two are not automatically related.

That is silly. The book that tells you about God is the same book that tells you about the afterlife. How much more "automatically related" can you get???

tablariddim said:
The concept of absolute and permanent death is something most humans can't handle and this is why they believe or hanker after an afterlife

One could just as well say that "the concept of absolute slavery to a privileged elite is something most humans can't handle and this is why they believe in freedom and democracy". It's really sad to see someone turn the highest human ideals into a piece of post-modern psychobabble. And it is sad not because it means the ideal is false or unattainable, but because it means they don't embrace it.

It's certainly true that people believe in an afterlife because they want it to be true. But it is ridiculous to claim that people only want something to be true precisely because it's false.

The sources that tell you about God are the same sources that tell you about the afterlife

I agree, it makes perfect sense if you have been brainwashed and take literally what humans from your chosen religion have written...

KennyJC said:
I agree, it makes perfect sense if you have been brainwashed and take literally what humans from your chosen religion have written...

I didn't say you have to accept anything, I just said if you choose to accept part of one creed then you have to accept the whole creed. Remember, the topic of this thread is something like "even if God exists, it doesn't mean there is an afterlife". All I'm saying is that is fallacious, that there is no solid basis to accept one idea and reject the other.

To say one believes in God but not in the afterlife is equivalent to saying one accepts the truths of physics but rejects the truths of biology. It's nonsense.

Confutatis said:
I didn't say you have to accept anything, I just said if you choose to accept part of one creed then you have to accept the whole creed. Remember, the topic of this thread is something like "even if God exists, it doesn't mean there is an afterlife". All I'm saying is that is fallacious, that there is no solid basis to accept one idea and reject the other.

To say one believes in God but not in the afterlife is equivalent to saying one accepts the truths of physics but rejects the truths of biology. It's nonsense.

Exactly, I couldn't agree with you more. Hence, we are to wonder why it is that theists do exactly what you're arguing is fallacious and nonsensical, yet their penchant for gleaning from religion only that which suits them best only serves to dilute the religion further to the point of having little or no meaning. This leads to the problem of adding confusion from so many convoluted
views that one can easily justify any action of violence in the name of their god.

Roman said:

Anyone care to explain?
Cause then the odds is that it is created with a reason. If there is a meaning to life as a whole, then there are great possibilities of some kind of afterlife (what would be the point otherwise?).

(Q) said:
we are to wonder why it is that theists do exactly what you're arguing is fallacious and nonsensical, yet their penchant for gleaning from religion only that which suits them best only serves to dilute the religion further to the point of having little or no meaning.

Again I say you are misrepresenting religion out of ignorance. There is much disagreement between the different sects of a religion when it comes to non-essential details, but there's universal agreement as to the religion's fundamental core. For instance, I never heard of a Christian who does not believe in God, or who does not believe in the afterlife.

This leads to the problem of adding confusion from so many convoluted views that one can easily justify any action of violence in the name of their god.

Oh, this tiresome theme of "violence in the name of God" again...

It is true that one can distort religion to suit any selfish, evil purpose. It's also true that one can distort the Constitution to justify military invasion of a poor foreign country, restricting civil liberties, or send innocent men to prison. Are we to deny the value of having a Constitution on the sole basis that it can be misused for evil means? Are we right in claiming the Constitution is meaningless because any person can interpret it any way they want?

Where is the sense in your argument?

Confutatis said:
Again I say you are misrepresenting religion out of ignorance. There is much disagreement between the different sects of a religion when it comes to non-essential details, but there's universal agreement as to the religion's fundamental core. For instance, I never heard of a Christian who does not believe in God, or who does not believe in the afterlife.

It is true that one can distort religion to suit any selfish, evil purpose. It's also true that one can distort the Constitution to justify military invasion of a poor foreign country, restricting civil liberties, or send innocent men to prison. Are we to deny the value of having a Constitution on the sole basis that it can be misused for evil means? Are we right in claiming the Constitution is meaningless because any person can interpret it any way they want?

Nice to see someone that understands that all people can be absurd, even atheist people.

Thank you, and welcome to the forums.

Confutatis said:

You just said "There is much disagreement between the different sects of a religion" - how can I be the one who is ignorant? And it is far more than just sects, it is each individual who cannot agree with the other.

Rather than jumping to conclusions and consistenty putting your foot in your mouth, spend some more time here and read the posts. Other theists here have already refuted your argument, some time ago.

One cannot argue when the other moves the goal posts? You'll now need to segway from the point and explain how exactly the Constitution is distorted to justify those things. Then you proceed to compare that to the religious attrocities of Christianity.

Oh, and the sense in my argument was agreeing with you.

(Q) said:
You just said "There is much disagreement between the different sects of a religion" - how can I be the one who is ignorant?

You have misquoted my sentence by removing half of it. Or perhaps you haven't read all of it. You will not succeed convincing me that millions, billions of people can consider themselves part of an institution without sharing the basic creeds of that institution. The idea is simply preposterous.

And it is far more than just sects, it is each individual who cannot agree with the other.

Agree on what? What are those contentious points you find so obvious and I find non-existent?

Rather than jumping to conclusions and consistenty putting your foot in your mouth, spend some more time here and read the posts.

That is not an argument, it's just an outburst of anger. I can't reply to it except with another outburst of anger, but I'm not angry.

explain how exactly the Constitution is distorted to justify those things

I didn't say it is, I said it can be. Are you saying it cannot? Are you saying some evil president cannot appeal to the Constitution of his country to send innocent people to jail? Have you never heard of Chile?

Then you proceed to compare that to the religious attrocities of Christianity.

I won't enter this debate because it's way too complex, but I'll just say that those religious attrocities you are talking about, if anything, only serve as proof that Christianity is right. All Christians know that.

Roman said:
Let's hypothesize there was a creator. If something designed people, or earth, or whatever, why would this mean there's life after death?

It wouldn't and if such a being existed it would be a simple matter of asking it any questions we had.

Adstar said:
The reason why i believe in an after life is because God has told me there is. :)
:bugeye:
Hearing voices in your head, again? Lunatic.

Confutatis said:

That's right. In fact, Judaism as a whole is full of shit.

baumgarten said:
That's right. In fact, Judaism as a whole is full of shit.

Yeah, but it's all Kosher shit :p

In any case, lest some Jew be offended, let me rephrase:

" To say one believes in the Christian God but not in the afterlife is ... nonsense "

That's more PC.

Back