Could you train your senses to become more acute?

I remember reading about a man who wore lenses to make everything upside down. After a while his brain compensated and everything was back to normal.

When he took off the lenses his vision was upside down, and again had to adjust.

Source ?
Wasn't that fiction ? :p

Source ?
Wasn't that fiction ? :p
Nope:
More than 50 years ago, Austrian researcher Ivo Kohler gave people goggles that severely distorted their vision: The lenses turned the world upside down. After several weeks, subjects adjusted — their vision was still tweaked, but their brains were processing the images so they’d appear normal. In fact, when people took the glasses off at the end of the trial, everything seemed to move and distort in the opposite way.
http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/15.04/esp_pr.html

Might be in one of Oliver Sacks books, I can't remember where I first came across it.

You can also make your depth perception better by using a device to make your eyes effectively closer together.
Once removed, depth perception will be heightened.

At least this is what I assume as the revesre has been reported with a device that makes your eyes effectively further apart.

I had a hearing problem due to a blockage in my ear, and though I went almost entirely deaf for about a day, it seemed that my brain compensated by 'hyper listening'.

I have had this fixed, everything now sounds extremely loud, even clicking a computer mouse sounds deafening.

If you were to undergo regular sessions of partial sensory deprivation for periods of time, for example wearing ear plugs, could you get your brain to maintain that 'hyper listening' phenomenon?

sounds somewhat like an exaggeration. nevertheless deaf is deaf and although you will use your other senses more, or rely on them more i have to say with no perturbation that they will never become more enhanced.

sounds somewhat like an exaggeration. nevertheless deaf is deaf and although you will use your other senses more, or rely on them more i have to say with no perturbation that they will never become more enhanced.

It was not a god damn exaggeration.

I kind of wish I was still deaf now.

I've lost my tolerance for super loud music. Certain high frequencies hurt me.

Poo.

I had a hearing problem due to a blockage in my ear, and though I went almost entirely deaf for about a day, it seemed that my brain compensated by 'hyper listening'.

I have had this fixed, everything now sounds extremely loud, even clicking a computer mouse sounds deafening.

If you were to undergo regular sessions of partial sensory deprivation for periods of time, for example wearing ear plugs, could you get your brain to maintain that 'hyper listening' phenomenon?
yes it's called synaptic plasticity but it takes more than a day.

Experiments with monkeys that had their third digit cut off shows how the brain then shifts to process information from the other areas of the hand in that area. So, if you went deaf your brain would begin to process other information in the area that it used to process hearing.

anyway, take a read of synaptic plasticity.

Back