Could Aliens be Hidding?

It wouldn't have been half as bad if the Russian hadn't seemed so...disinterested. "Aaah. Aaah. No, don't. Aaah." I appreciate they're a drab lot, but 'ow about some life in it?

Even Dr. J. Allen Hynek, chief UFO investigator for the Air Force operation Blue Book and its predecssors believed that there was something to UFO's as they could not explain away all observations.

Yes, but that does not mean the answer is Aliens. Also 1.5% of cases (20 cases out of 1,307) being completely without explanation is not much to go on for saying that "something is going on".

So whatever UFO's are they are worthy of investigation. To summarily dismiss them is very unscientific.

I never said not to investigate it, merely that aliens is not a conclusion we can leap to when we still have not ruled out things like ball lightning, or other un-understood atmospheric phenomenal, for the tiny number of cases that aren't explainable by things we do understand like airplanes, balloons, planets, etc.

Whatever the truth of the UFO matter, it should fit all observations.

The truth is most likely many explanations, for each cases its own in fact, certainly there may be groups of cases that can only be explained by something interesting like ball lightning, but as yet aliens in not an answer that can be concluded, not until all simpler answers are eliminated.

And if their are aliens visiting us, it is not for me to ascribe motivations to them. Although some have done so.

I'm sorry but logic takes precedent in that there is no good reason aliens would come to earth to fly around drunkenly with shiny lights set to "gay parade" garishness mode.

Yes, but that does not mean the answer is Aliens. Also 1.5% of cases (20 cases out of 1,307) being completely without explanation is not much to go on for saying that "something is going on".

I never said not to investigate it, merely that aliens is not a conclusion we can leap to when we still have not ruled out things like ball lightning, or other un-understood atmospheric phenomenal, for the tiny number of cases that aren't explainable by things we do understand like airplanes, balloons, planets, etc.

The truth is most likely many explanations, for each cases its own in fact, certainly there may be groups of cases that can only be explained by something interesting like ball lightning, but as yet aliens in not an answer that can be concluded, not until all simpler answers are eliminated.

I think we are in agreement. What cannot be explained should not be summarily dismissed. If that were the case, we never would have had Relativity.

I'm sorry but logic takes precedent in that there is no good reason aliens would come to earth to fly around drunkenly with shiny lights set to "gay parade" garishness mode.

Who says there is no good reason for aliens to come to Earth and fly around drunkenly? Have you ever seen an alien flying in a drunken state? :)

If there are aliens visiting us, who are we to ascribe motives to them? We don't even recognize their existence. To ascribe motives to aliens is getting a bit ahead of ourselves. Before ascribing motives to these creatures we first need to prove they exist. If one can prove they exist here on Earth, then we can get on to motives for their visitation.

If said aliens do exist and if they are here visiting us, I would have no idea as to why. Perhaps they are visiting us in a quest for knowledge...like we observe ants or other animals. Who knows? We may not even be capable of understanding their motives. But like I said, this is getting ahead of ourselves. We first need proof that they are indeed here.

I don't think anyone here is making the claim that UFO's are aliens.

Then what are you saying UFOs are, because the Alien Spacecraft and UFO are generally accepted as being interchangeable terms.

Some people dishonestly skew the term to include other phenomena, and secret military projects,... but that is diversionary.

Then what are you saying UFOs are, because the Alien Spacecraft and UFO are generally accepted as being interchangeable terms.

Some people dishonestly skew the term to include other phenomena, and secret military projects,... but that is diversionary.

I am saying exactly what I wrote. If you don't understand, please reread. UFO means unidentified flying object. There is no part of UFO that even mentions aliens or secret military projects.

Secret military projects is another possible explanation from some of the reported UFO events. I would not be suprised if some of the UFO sitings were indeed secret military projects.

Who says there is no good reason for aliens to come to Earth and fly around drunkenly? Have you ever seen an alien flying in a drunken state? :)

If there are aliens visiting us, who are we to ascribe motives to them? We don't even recognize their existence. To ascribe motives to aliens is getting a bit ahead of ourselves. Before ascribing motives to these creatures we first need to prove they exist. If one can prove they exist here on Earth, then we can get on to motives for their visitation.

I'm ascribing motives to UFOs, not aliens, we know UFOs exist, even if most of them are perfectly explainable phenomena like airplanes with advertising sign. But if you ever see a UFO you can ask your self if what you see appears to be natural or artificially, there are even opportunities to determine if it has conscious motion, bobing around aimlessly is not an example.

I'm ascribing motives to UFOs, not aliens, we know UFOs exist, even if most of them are perfectly explainable phenomena like airplanes with advertising sign. But if you ever see a UFO you can ask your self if what you see appears to be natural or artificially, there are even opportunities to determine if it has conscious motion, bobing around aimlessly is not an example.

In order to ascribe a motivation, one must know the subject. Since we do not know even if aliens exist it is impossible to ascribe motivation to them. Inanimate objects do not have motives either. It is silly to a say there is a motivation to sun flares.

When it comes to human observers, since we have some knowledge of ourselves, we can speculate on observer motives.

:) I'll find someone to protect you.

I'll be waiting with a tinfoil hat at the ready.

633673729262531831-tinfoilhat.jpg

I am saying exactly what I wrote. If you don't understand, please reread. UFO means unidentified flying object. There is no part of UFO that even mentions aliens or secret military projects.

Seems you are completely unaware of the etymology of the term! I think it's YOU who needs to go read up here. You embarrass yourself with your statements!

Secret military projects is another possible explanation from some of the reported UFO events. I would not be suprised if some of the UFO sitings were indeed secret military projects.

Then they aren't unidentified. They are secret. No mystery. We know secret military aircraft are developed and tested, and even brought into operation, and kept secret. The U2, Blackbird, B2 etc were black projects, so it's dishonest to count them as being UFOs, as they are identifiable, just not to the general public. Hell, the general public has trouble differentiating an Airbus A320 from a Boeing 737,... doesn't make it unidentified!

Then of course, we have stuff that gets labelled as being a UFO, but upon investigation was found to be a planet or star, and not FLYING at all!

You see the problem with the term? Things that don't FLY get labelled UFO, things that are merely secret get labelled as UFO, and all of this muddies the waters.

Using the term UFO is pointless, it does not accurately describe anything.

So, if you want to demonstrate some semblance of accuracy and understanding, you should know that many people prefer to categorise such events, and prefer to use the blanket term 'Unexplained Aerial Phenomena' or UAP, which cuts out mis-ascribing flight characteristics to an object in orbit.

Seems you are completely unaware of the etymology of the term! I think it's YOU who needs to go read up here. You embarrass yourself with your statements!

LOL. If UFO does not stand for Unidentified Flying Objects, then just what does UFO mean? There is nothing in the term that references aliens.

Then they aren't unidentified. They are secret. No mystery. We know secret military aircraft are developed and tested, and even brought into operation, and kept secret. The U2, Blackbird, B2 etc were black projects, so it's dishonest to count them as being UFOs, as they are identifiable, just not to the general public. Hell, the general public has trouble differentiating an Airbus A320 from a Boeing 737,... doesn't make it unidentified!

My aren't you the one to jump to conclusions. Do you have proof that any of the UFO sitings were secret military aircraft?

If an observer cannot identify something, we normally call that unidentified.
Then of course, we have stuff that gets labelled as being a UFO, but upon investigation was found to be a planet or star, and not FLYING at all!

You see the problem with the term? Things that don't FLY get labelled UFO, things that are merely secret get labelled as UFO, and all of this muddies the waters.

Using the term UFO is pointless, it does not accurately describe anything.

So, if you want to demonstrate some semblance of accuracy and understanding, you should know that many people prefer to categorise such events, and prefer to use the blanket term 'Unexplained Aerial Phenomena' or UAP, which cuts out mis-ascribing flight characteristics to an object in orbit.

LOL, my my my. :) Your penchant for ignoring data contrary to your preconcieved notions is amazing.

The weakness in you comments is clearly demonstrated by your reliance on ad homimem.

What a crock of shit.

Just because they are alien doesn't mean they don't have reason behind their actions!

It appears you have trouble with reading comprehension friend. Who said they were alien? No one.

In order to ascribe motivations one needs to know something of the subject. Since we don't even know if aliens exist, it is hard to attribute motivations to something that we do not even know exists.

But I suppose you have that power. :D

LOL. If UFO does not stand for Unidentified Flying Objects, then just what does UFO mean? There is nothing in the term that references aliens.

OK, you had your chance, but you blew it. The term UFO was coined by Project Blue Book, which was set up to investigate aerial phenomena after a previous project concluded that many of the sightings were caused by extra terrestrial craft. Blue Book investigated this, and also whether there was any threat to national security, either from other nations, or other planets.

Got that? That's how the term got coined, and what it pertains to. Not your shallow, literal interpretation of it!

My aren't you the one to jump to conclusions. Do you have proof that any of the UFO sitings were secret military aircraft?

You yourself agreed with that !

would not be suprised if some of the UFO sitings were indeed secret military projects.

Care to present a coherent opinion?

If an observer cannot identify something, we normally call that unidentified.

Bullshit, I see flashing lights in the sky at night all the time, living near an airport. I assume they are regular aircraft because I have no reason to suspect otherwise, but I certainly haven't identified them as regular aircraft! They do not become UFOs at this point.

LOL, my my my. :) Your penchant for ignoring data contrary to your preconcieved notions is amazing.

You ignoring the points I raise even more so.

Last edited:
OK, you had your chance, but you blew it. The term UFO was coined by Project Blue Book, which was set up to investigate aerial phenomena after a previous project concluded that many of the sightings were caused by extra terrestrial craft. Blue Book investigated this, and also whether there was any threat to national security, either from other nations, or other planets.

Got that? That's how the term got coined, and what it pertains to. Not your shallow, literal interpretation of it!

You yourself agreed with that !

Care to present a coherent opinion?

Bottom line, there is nothing in UFO that says aliens. It is a phenomena in search of an explanation. You are a good example of the irrational thinking around the subject. On either side there are those who inject claims or dismiss claims for which they have no basis in either fact or reasoning.

Bullshit, I see flashing lights in the sky at night all the time, living near an airport. I assume they are regular aircraft because I have no reason to suspect otherwise, but I certainly haven't identified them as regular aircraft! They do not become UFOs at this point.

You are being dramatic, silly and self contradictory again. If you can identify the flashing lights as airplanes then they are not unidentified, are they? And they are not UFO's are they? This is just more of your chaff and is totally not relevant to the topic at hand.

You ignoring the points I raise even more so.

? :)

Bottom line, there is nothing in UFO that says aliens. It is a phenomena in search of an explanation. You are a good example of the irrational thinking around the subject. On either side there are those who inject claims or dismiss claims for which they have no basis in either fact or reasoning.

Project Blue Book that coined the phrase, after the previous project said we were being visited by extra-terrestrials disagrees with you. You are taking a simplistic, literal interpretation of the term, because you haven't done your research.

You are being dramatic, silly and self contradictory again. If you can identify the flashing lights as airplanes then they are not unidentified, are they?

And you aren't listening. I CANNOT identify them as airplanes, they are merely flashing lights in the sky, I ASSUME them to be aircraft!

And they are not UFO's are they? This is just more of your chaff and is totally not relevant to the topic at hand.

You don't seem to grasp the point.

Bottom line, there is nothing in UFO that says aliens.
come off it Joe! The term sensuo stricto matches your definition, but in most discussions on the topic, especially on internet forums (and especially this one), UFO means flying saucer means aliens. You aren't dumb enough not to know that, therefore you must be being deliberately obtuse. It doesn't suit you.

In order to ascribe a motivation, one must know the subject. Since we do not know even if aliens exist it is impossible to ascribe motivation to them. Inanimate objects do not have motives either. It is silly to a say there is a motivation to sun flares.

I was not ascribing motive to aliens, simply to UFOs! We don't need to know what a UFO is to still be able to make judgments based on its actions.

come off it Joe! The term sensuo stricto matches your definition, but in most discussions on the topic, especially on internet forums (and especially this one), UFO means flying saucer means aliens. You aren't dumb enough not to know that, therefore you must be being deliberately obtuse. It doesn't suit you.

Exactly, another example, the word 'homophobe', a literal translation would mean 'someone who has an irrational fear of people of the same gender' whereas we understand it to mean 'someone who dislikes homosexuals'.

Joe's literal, and shallow interpretation dismisses the events surrounding the creation of the term.

Back