Computers Are Incapable Of Creatively Writing Music

There no need to appeal to complexity when you have yet to demonstrate that the AI creates anything other than what its programmers tell it to.
You just refuse to look at the evidence!
avocado-upres.jpg

GPT3 creations based on a single verbal request to create chairs from avocados.

To be sure, many other creations were discarded because they were not usable as chairs. But by "user selection" these designs survived as created furniture. Obviously the chairs with the "pit still in" are less than comfortable for everyday use...:eek:

I love the toilet seat. It looks comfortable for winter use .....:)
Otherwise # 4,5,7,8,9,10, 12,13,14,15....all look very functional if not also very comfortable.

The AI learned to design chairs from browsing the internet, i.e learning the art of chair design. The rest was creativity, no?

Last edited:
This avocado armchair could be the future of AI

OpenAI has extended GPT-3 with two new models that combine NLP with image recognition to give its AI a better understanding of everyday concepts.
by Will Douglas Heaven, January 5, 2021
“We live in a visual world,” says Ilya Sutskever, chief scientist at OpenAI. “In the long run, you’re going to have models which understand both text and images. AI will be able to understand language better because it can see what words and sentences mean.”
OpenAI’s new language generator GPT-3 is shockingly good—and completely mindless.
The AI is the largest language model ever created and can generate amazing human-like text on demand but won't bring us closer to true intelligence.
For all GPT-3’s flair, its output can feel untethered from reality, as if it doesn’t know what it’s talking about. That’s because it doesn’t. By grounding text in images, researchers at OpenAI and elsewhere are trying to give language models a better grasp of the everyday concepts that humans use to make sense of things.
DALL·E and CLIP come at this problem from different directions. At first glance, CLIP (Contrastive Language-Image Pre-training) is yet another image recognition system. Except that it has learned to recognize images not from labeled examples in curated data sets, as most existing models do, but from images and their captions taken from the internet. It learns what’s in an image from a description rather than a one-word label such as “cat” or “banana
https://www.technologyreview.com/20...arning-nlp-gpt3-computer-vision-common-sense/

Just like humans learn by association rather than by strict rote.

My first watch
Stick in ground.jpg

My latest watch
Digital watch.jpg
Not much difference
Nothing creative
Just an improvement
Not even novel
New idea? Na

:)

In fact you can tell this robot to cook you a soft boiled egg without telling how long. Even in the mountains it'll cook you a perfectly timed soft boiled egg.

The new thought processes are very much like human associative thought processes.

Go algorithmic calculations do not yield deterministic answers. The game itself is probabilistic due to the sheer numbers of possibilities and freedom of players choices.

Learn the rules of Go and you will see that the winner can only be declared after the game has ended and the "captured spaces" are counted. There is no check mate or capture of the Q.
1 extra captured space at the end of the game will win the game.

Note possible moves: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Go_(game)

Can you write an algorithm for calculating the position of every atom in the universe, and if you played a game of capture the atoms and who at the end of the game has captured 1 more atomic spacetime coordinate than the opponent wins the game.
The game should be called GoG (Game of Gods)......
thinking-face_1f914.png

Why do you think the Chinese have been playing this game for 2500 years ?

Brains are biological "pattern matching" computers. Humans create their reality via "controlled hallucinations". The brain receives data and compares it to stored patterns in memory. When the patterns have certain fundamental properties in common the brain recognizes the pattern and makes a controlled "best guess" of what it sees.

It is "common denominators" that determine cognition and relationships.

This is not binary calculation. The new "text" based computers compare text and definition patterns and make a best guess of the incoming data patterns.

It is only when everyone's best guess agrees, do we call that reality. (Anil Seth)
Neural Nets do Pattern Matching. Pattern Matching is the key to how the Computer can win in Go.

Then, by definition, it's not new and thus not creativity.
Now all you have to do is show how any goal is not merely a subjective matter (which relegates creativity not to the mechanics at work but to a matter of perception). Until you can, it is your own argument that results in nothing being creative.
You can have the exact same idea be self-originated or preexisting. So there can be no appeal to complexity for the exact same idea.
Yes, there can: if your argument is that something complex (humans) can create, but never explain how that happens, then you are simply appealing to that complexity. Period. Comparing a created thing to a pre-existing thing is thus utterly irrelevant, so put that strawman away.
It's who originates the idea, as creativity can only originate from a creator, by definition.
Agreed, and now all you have to do is stop appealing to complexity in your arguments and show what it takes to be a creator.
There no need to appeal to complexity when you have yet to demonstrate that the AI creates anything other than what its programmers tell it to.
There is obviously a need because you're doing it so often. I presume the need arises from your arguments not concluding as you wish them to until you make such an appeal. But I would agree that you should stop the appeals to complexity and investigate the actual processes going on. If all you intend in that regard is to call absurd any comparison between a limited ruleset and a more complex one, for example, then you're clearly not interested, and are simply happy with your appeal to complexity.
Again, if you don't believe creativity exists, you are simply explaining it away, which also defeats your own argument that an AI can be creative.
You still don't get it, do you: it is your arguments, as shown, that lead to the conclusion that nothing is creative. And all you do to insert creativity in your conclusion is appeal to complexity along the way. And lo and behold it magically appears in your conclusion. I'm simply taking your own arguments, your explanations, and showing you where they lead.
Iteration is a method of learning, even in humans, so your gripe is with your own straw man.
No, it's with your category fallacy, confusing "general" in matters of scope and process. You want to claim you were talking about scope, yet even here agree that iteration is a method (i.e. process).
Ah, the common refrain of the crackpot. "Prove me wrong." You're the one making the claim, so the onus is yours. The null hypothesis is that the rules of games don't apply to the whole universe and the AI isn't doing anything special.
:rolleyes: No, the null hypothesis is that there is no difference between certain characteristics of a population. So if you make an argument based on behaviour within a ruleset, the null hypothesis is that anything else in a ruleset will behave the in a same way with respect to that ruleset. E.g. if one system follows the ruleset it is governed by, another system will follow the ruleset that it is governed by. If you want to reject the null hypothesis you need to make a case for it, a case that is conspicuous by its ongoing absence. But your continued evasion is noted, as is your continued appeal to complexity.
"Sure. And one could equally say that everything... and I do mean everything ... a human does already exists within the potential of the universe, the only difference in that we set out own goals (or at least most of us do)." #227
As already clarified, that was in comparing us to AI, not in any absolute sense.
You really don't understand how something like the first airplane or a work of art is new?
I'm not doing your homework for you. You've claimed they're new, so support the claim. Your arguments to-date would suggest that they are not new, that they are just innovation on existing ideas, which you have consigned to the camp of "not creative". So show how they are new, or is all you have now the common refrain of the crackpot: "Prove me wrong!" Show that they are new. Don't just assert it. Examine how they arose with your own argument in mind. Show how, following your argument, they should be classified as new, given what you have rejected thus far and why. Unless you can do that you simply have nothing. And remember, these are your arguments being interrogated here.
Wait. You seriously don't see any difference between a supplied goal and a self-originated one?
I'm waiting for you to provide the difference beyond an appeal to complexity. Can you do that? Or are you just going to continue to evade?
Again, that's you arguing that creativity does not exist, in humans or AI.
No, it's not. It's the conclusion of your arguments once you strip out the appeals to complexity. If you can't or won't show why things don't apply to one system but do apply to a more complex one, you are appealing to complexity. I get that you want your arguments to show one can be creative and the other not, but your arguments sans your appeal to complexity simply don't do that.
It's your claim. This "prove me wrong", crackpot bullshit ain't gonna fly.
Your continued evasion continues to be noticed. :rolleyes: Is that all you now have left: an unwillingness to address why your arguments lead to the conclusion they don't want to? It's sad. It really is.
If you assert AI can be creative, it's on you to show how it occurs.
We can get on to my arguments in this regard once we have finished with yours. And who knows, by examining yours further you may yet begin o understand mine. But for now we're examining what you have to say, and have said, about the matter.
If that means you first have to define how it happens in humans, that's also on you.
I'm sure we'll get on to that in due course.
Quit projecting your own obvious evasion on others.
No projection necessary, I'm afraid: you are demonstrably evading the issues I have raised.
If you have an ounce of intellectual honesty, you know the onus for your own claim is on you. Own it.
When I claim something the onus will be on me, and I will own it. But at the moment we're investigating your argument, so the onus is on you to support your claims, and to address the issues highlighted in your arguments. If you have any intellectual honesty you would do that.
You cannot honestly purport to be questioning if something involves creativity when you explicitly presume creativity, e.g. "Michaelangelo, go and decorate the Sistine Chapel". That's literally begging the question.
You haven't shown his work to be an act of creativity, you have simply asserted it. In fact you are begging the question by stating that the example begs the question. I did no such thing with the example. So please don't project your assumptions on me.
Quit trying to weasel out of what you've already said.
... says the one who is just about to try and weasel out of their obvious misunderstanding of what a simulation is.
You claimed: "Everything anyone will ever do could be simulated by brute force"#227 You cannot "model" "everything anyone will ever do" without replicating "everything anyone will ever do".
I know what I said, but you claimed that I was equivocating "modeled" with "simulated"... when, as explained, simulation is simply the running of a model etc. The fact that to simulate everything requires a fairly accurate model is irrelevant to your obvious misunderstanding of the word. And what I said was not a strawman, it is simply something you clearly don't want to address.
Not my arguments, your straw men. Again, your claim, your onus. Quit being a lazy crackpot.
Yes, your arguments, as shown already. Dismissing them as strawmen is simply dishonesty on your part.
At this point, I can only assume you actually don't understand how anything can be new.
I'm waiting for you to tell me how something can be new. At the moment you are simply assuming it, and assuming that everyone agrees with you. You claim something can be new, despite all your arguments, as shown, suggesting the opposite. You don't like that conclusion so you simply dismiss it without addressing how your arguments lead there.
Until you can answer that yourself, your claim that AI can be creative is vacuous.
We're not discussing my claims yet, but yours. You claim things can be creative, you have given arguments that suggest they can't, and you haven't once shown how anything can be new. If you can, perhaps we can examine where in your argument you're making the mistake.
It's a false dilemma that creativity either cannot be based upon any previous knowledge or experience or it doesn't exist. If that's what you presumed, that's on you.
Then for fuck's sake explain what you think is entailed in something being new, how it arises etc. Or are you simply going to continue your ridiculous dishonesty while crying foul at every turn?
Then that's just an argument for there being no real creativity, again, defeating your claim about AI.
No, once again, I am following your arguments here. All I am doing is not making any unwarranted assumptions. It is still for you, should you ever deign to be honest in this thread, to explain how things can be new, how things can be creative, given your arguments thus far.

Neural Nets do Pattern Matching. Pattern Matching is the key to how the Computer can win in Go.
How odd, we have agreement!!!
W4U said: Brains are biological "pattern matching" computers. Humans create their reality via "controlled hallucinations". The brain receives data and compares it to stored patterns in memory. When the patterns have certain fundamental properties in common the brain recognizes the pattern and makes a controlled "best guess" of what it sees.
You're using my line, well ...... Anil Seth's line,,,,,:cool:

Everything is a pattern. Some patterns are dead, some are alive, some are irrational (chaos) but apparently can and do give rise to rational patterns.....:rolleyes:

Abiogenesis
Abiogenesis is the process by which life arises naturally from non-living matter. Scientists speculate that life may have arisen as a result of random chemical processes happening to produce self-replicating molecules. One of the popular current hypotheses involves chemical reactivity around hydrothermal vents.[1][2] This hypothesis has yet to be empirically proven although the current evidence is generally supportive of it.
much more.....
https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Abiogenesis#Evolution_and_abiogenesis

Why should self-aware consciousness be different? Humans are not unique in that respect. In fact a degree of self-awareness (self-reference) is a "common denominator" in all living species and motile patterns.

Last edited:
W4U said: Brains are biological "pattern matching" computers. Humans create their reality via "controlled hallucinations". The brain receives data and compares it to stored patterns in memory. When the patterns have certain fundamental properties in common the brain recognizes the pattern and makes a controlled "best guess" of what it sees.

Evolution . IS , Write4U

To what Write4U , do you agree ?
Evolution IS. And it IS a mathematical function.

Evolution equation - Encyclopedia of Mathematics
From Encyclopedia of Mathematics.
An equation that can be interpreted as the differential law of the development (evolution) in time of a system. The term does not have an exact definition, and its meaning depends not only on the equation itself, but also on the formulation of the problem for which it is used.Feb 14, 2020
https://encyclopediaofmath.org › wiki › Evolution_equation

How odd, we have agreement!!!

Everything is a pattern. Some patterns are dead, some are alive, some are irrational (chaos) but apparently can and do give rise to rational patterns.....:rolleyes:

Abiogenesis much more.....
https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Abiogenesis#Evolution_and_abiogenesis

Why should self-aware consciousness be different? Humans are not unique in that respect. In fact a degree of self-awareness (self-reference) is a "common denominator" in all living species and motile patterns.
Never said Everything is a Pattern, but there are Patterns of Some things.

Never said Everything is a Pattern, but there are Patterns of Some things.
All physical objects are expressed patterns. All regular functions are patterns. There are even irregular patterns. Everything is a pattern. If it is not it is chaotic plasma from which patterns emerge.
Chaos theory is an interdisciplinary theory stating that, within the apparent randomness of chaotic complex systems, there are underlying patterns, interconnectedness, constant feedback loops, repetition, self-similarity, fractals, and self-organization. ... This behavior is known as deterministic chaos, or simply chaos.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaos_theory#

Give me an example of a measurable non-pattern.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what you are talking about but lets try these: The Water in a cup. The Air in a balloon. A Rock.
All patterns. Expand your horizon. Everything is a pattern expressed as physical objects. Without a permanent or even variable pattern, things would fly apart and lose "shape" (pattern).

All patterns. Expand your horizon. Everything is a pattern expressed as physical objects. Without a permanent or even variable pattern, things would fly apart and lose "shape" (pattern).
How would you configure an ANN to be the Pattern of a cup of Water?

How would you configure an ANN to be the Pattern of a cup of Water?
How about "tasting" it, just like humans. If its ice or vapor, it isn't water. If it is water , it isn't ice or vapor.

Plus the pattern and dimensions of the cup for the volume.

Steve, you are acting just like the world champion Go player who was convinced AlphaGo could not possibly beat him, until it did !

Last edited:
[...] Computer Music is not produced this way. Computer Music is generated by Algorithms, Rules, and Random Note generators. The Computer is not Hearing, as a Conscious Experience, any of the Music that is being generated because a Computer has no Connection to a CM. The Computer program is trying to generate Music for the Enjoyment of a CM without being able to Experience it as a CM. It cannot Hear what it is Generating. The Computer cannot Enjoy the Music and it can never Listen to the Music like a CM would be able to do. The Computer does not Desire to write Music and it does not even know that it generated Music. It's all Algorithmic and Mechanistic. It is obvious that a Computer is unable to write Music for a CM, and there is no way to Program that ability into the Computer with Software. It can only be concluded that a Computer cannot Creatively Write Music, but rather it Generates or Calculates the Music. When it is realized that a Computer is merely Calculating Music, it becomes completely understandable that there is no Creativity involved.

The artistic brain is following rules, too, either explicitly or implicitly. But with the addition of personal memories and passions performing a regulating and selective process.

It's not that AI can't create, but that the musical compositions of AI might not be interesting or novel to many humans (in the beginning). AI does indeed lack emotions and feelings about music, as well as subjective preferences and impressions, that might inspire it along innovative paths that could appeal to a particular human generation. Just having an embodied life in an environment -- having a stored history like that doing the guiding -- helps. (And so much for epiphenomenalism's claim that phenomenal experiences lack influence -- make no reciprocal, causal contribution to brain operations.)

However, exposing an artistic computer program (already endowed with music theory) to a diverse variety of the most popular works and songs can -- in a machine learning context -- enable it to statistically apprehend the nuances of melody, harmony, rhythm, dynamics, and sonic qualities that made those products appealing to people. Maybe 85% of what it cranks out could be banal, but the remaining 15% could be exotically inspiring or entertaining to somebody. Really, that's a lopsidedness similar to average human composers -- who also play a numbers game of generating stereotypical junk before occasionally striking something noticeable or at least modestly interesting.

Back