Complex views of God

It would seem that Yazata is coming from a perspective of exclusivism if not extreme exclusivism (ie. each religion is essentially completely different from all others), whereas Jan is very much in the inclusivistic part of the spectrum.

That's insulting.

If you think that my arguing that everyone who has used the English language word 'god' wasn't using it to express exactly the same group of ideas, and that my arguing that its indefensible to assume that a single Judeo-Christian (or any other) concept of divinity is somehow the universally normative meaning of the word, represents an example of something that you call "extreme exclusivism", then there's nothing more that I can say to you. I think that my earlier posts were clear and comprehensible, if repetitive. Nevertheless, you're interpreting them to mean precisely the opposite of what I intended.

Obviously this is going nowhere. So, I give up. I've already stated my position as clearly as I can and anyone who is likely to understand it has already understood it. There's nothing more that I feel like adding, so I'm out of this increasingly inane and pointless thread.

That's insulting.

If you think that my arguing that everyone who has used the English language word 'god' wasn't using it to express exactly the same group of ideas, and that my arguing that its indefensible to assume that a single Judeo-Christian (or any other) concept of divinity is somehow the universally normative meaning of the word, represents an example of something that you call "extreme exclusivism", then there's nothing more that I can say to you. I think that my earlier posts were clear and comprehensible, if repetitive. Nevertheless, you're interpreting them to mean precisely the opposite of what I intended.

Obviously this is going nowhere. So, I give up. I've already stated my position as clearly as I can and anyone who is likely to understand it has already understood it. There's nothing more that I feel like adding, so I'm out of this increasingly inane and pointless thread.

Yazata, I think you are a smart person, but seem to lack experience of what you are trying to relate. The reason for this could be that you are arguing purely from a philosophical point of view and as such you are frustrated when asked a question which you have not covered, clinging desparately to your genre. When this does not work you resort to ignoring, and now anger.

Don't be mad with Signal he/she is credited with seriously trying to understand what he/she refers to. He/she is, at least as smart as yourself, and doesn't resort to the kind of anger, frustration, ignore-ance, and snobery that you have displayed.

jan.

Yazata is one of the most reasonable, diplomatic and collected people on this forum, and I'm not the only person who thinks so. Your character assassination of him here is probably one of the most pathetic things I've ever seen you do. But more than that, I'm finding it difficult to wrap my head around the immense hypocrisy of it, since you yourself are the very embodiment of most of the qualities that you are trying to pin on him.

Rav,

Yazata is one of the most reasonable, diplomatic and collected people on this forum, and I'm not the only person who thinks so.

For the most part i'm in full agreement of this.

Your character assassination of him here is probably one of the most pathetic things I've ever seen you do.

It's not a character assination, it is an observation of this thread.

But more than that, I'm finding it difficult to wrap my head around the immense hypocrisy of it, since you yourself are the very embodiment of most of the qualities that you are trying to pin on him.

proof?

jan.

Let's not go crazy.

Many people are exclusivists to a lesser or greater degree when it comes to religion, even atheists.

See examples of exclusivistic thinking in this thread:
http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?t=108531 , posts 1, 11, 19, 47, 55.

Or your post here: http://www.sciforums.com/showpost.php?p=2698436&postcount=116

The basic idea of exclusivism is that there are differences between religions, differences between ideas of God, and that these differences are relevant.
The idea of "religious pluralism" entails an exclusivistic understanding.

One needn't be a member of a particular religion in order to be an exclusivist.

I also don't think there is anything bad about exclusivism.
An exclusivistic understanding is prerequisite for there to be an idea of "religious choice".

You started above with an "if", not a fact.

It is not just a case of reading a book and believing.

You certainly have been presenting it like that so far.

When I first got the BG, it made absolutely no sense to me.

What happened was during those years I learned things that put me in a position so I could access BG.

This is new.

To believe something is true on the basis of someone telling you is very unstable. It not only ends in confusion but also resentment, drawing one further away from the target.

Sure.

The term ''natural theology'' has been coined, so now that's what it is?

You've allowed that term to be the be all end all.

Not at all. For a person on the level of jnana, natural theology and scripture are the same.

Jnana is my level. One cannot grit one's teeth and get to vijnana.

As for me, I see nothing wrong with the way I think.

I am quite sure about that one!

Don't get me wrong, I don't dismiss what is being said, I just don't accept it
as truth right off the bat.

What do you not accept as truth right away?

I will try, but time is of the essence.
Is this link related to the book? If so I tend to agree with the speaker.

No, this link is not related to the book I suggested. In fact, it's quite different.
I really dislike the speaker's attitude there. I would not be surprised if he started a crusade, with swords and fire.

Question is, how long you will remember this point.

I don't understand the question.

Looks like you've forgotten it already. We are talking about the difference between jnana and vijnana, ie. the difference between theoretical or book knowledge and realization.

You don't need to watch or read ''Lord of the Rings'' for that.

Maybe I don't need, but those are the benefits it has brought me.

The scriptures are beyond our mundane sensory aparatus. You have to be
of a certain character to really understand them. As human beings we are qualified to change our characteristics if we choose.

As human beings, we are also prone to delusions of grandeur.
It is through religion that we get scripture at all. It is religion that compiles, translates, comments on, publishes, sells scripture.

There is no independent institution that would publish scriptures.

Similiar thing can be said about water.
Yet water still remains pure and necessary.

Surely the water may be pure, but the poisons in it can kill you.

That's not the point.
The scripture is the source of information regardless of religious institutes.

And your contention is that regardless of what a wrong or distorted interpretation a religious institute may provide of scripture, the actual scriptural message will shine through nonetheless?

That even if a demon were to talk about scripture to you, you would still benefit all the same?

Note: The standard argument that SP's BG As It Is is authoritative is that it was translated and commented on by a pure devotee, someone who has actually practiced the path of bhakti and obtained its fruits - as opposed to so many other people who have translated and commented on it, while themselves not being practitioners.

Which is why his commentary is particularly important.

Only if we take for granted that he is what he claims to be.

Because you have put limits on the concept of God.

And you are the one to judge that?

I'm merely interested in why you make these limitations, hence my question to you.

Jnana. If I had vijnana, it would show.

Intellectually I understand the divisions between atheist/theist/agnostic, and so on. But I don't regard these divisions as reality anymore than I regard music as being genre related.

Because you're an inclusivist.

Yazata, I think you are a smart person, but seem to lack experience of what you are trying to relate. The reason for this could be that you are arguing purely from a philosophical point of view and as such you are frustrated when asked a question which you have not covered, clinging desparately to your genre. When this does not work you resort to ignoring, and now anger.

Don't be mad with Signal he/she is credited with seriously trying to understand what he/she refers to. He/she is, at least as smart as yourself, and doesn't resort to the kind of anger, frustration, ignore-ance, and snobery that you have displayed.

You get no brownie points for that.

Yazata

When we use the term ''God'' we refer to aspects, and descriptions, etc, of a being. There can (logically) only be ONE being that fits this description.
The names, such as Allah, Vishnu, Brahman, and others, are the varying personal aspects of this one being.

That is the meaning of the word ''God'', which differs from the term ''god(s)''.

''Allah'' and ''Vishnu'' do not belong in that line up, as they are different aspects of the one God.

That's fine, but at least try and understand what is ''God''.
Who knows? Your decision to be atheist may be made on a misconception.

''Religious devotion"" may not be something that you have a choice over.
If something is true, then as an independant being of good intelligence you are required to act in relation to it. We can either embrace it, or ignore it. That is the freewill we have been given.
If you look at the scriptures from that perspective accepting (not necessarily believing) the concept of God, it is quite possible you may see things differently.

jan.a

interesting ! Jan you know . You look like you know . What about someone with out free will and what do you know about building the house . I don't mean a house either . I read a writing and it said " It is easier for a house to build it self than for life to create it self . Weird writings indeed .

Signal,

me said:
It is not just a case of reading a book and believing.

you said:
You certainly have been presenting it like that so far.

I've already explained this. :wallbang:

I accept it, believing comes through experience.
I wouldn't have thought it would be that hard to grasp.

This is new.

It's a fact.

Not at all. For a person on the level of jnana, natural theology and scripture are the same.

I would have thought natural theology to be a pointless pursuit for such a person, as scipture
covers everything of importance.

Jnana is my level. One cannot grit one's teeth and get to vijnana.

Jnana is very complex for folks of this era, and while you are a smarty pants, I wouldn't be so quick to give you that title. Unless there's something you're not telling me. :)

I am quite sure about that one!

Is this what they call double-speak?

What do you not accept as truth right away?

Everything, I guess.

No, this link is not related to the book I suggested. In fact, it's quite different.
I really dislike the speaker's attitude there. I would not be surprised if he started a crusade, with swords and fire.

I quite like his attitude altought adimitedly I only skimmed over it.
I like the way he cuts through the nonsense and gets to point.

Looks like you've forgotten it already. We are talking about the difference between jnana and vijnana, ie. the difference between theoretical or book knowledge and realization.

I don't think you've grasp the full idea of jnana, maybe you should consult LG.

The scriptures are beyond our mundane sensory aparatus. You have to be
of a certain character to really understand them. As human beings we are qualified to change our characteristics if we choose.

As human beings, we are also prone to delusions of grandeur.

Point?

Only if we take for granted that he is what he claims to be.

He hasn't made any claims.
You can tell a person by their works, and the legacy they leave.

Because you're an inclusivist.

I don't get yah. Inclusivism

jan.

How is the video link relevant?

It exemplifies your attitude and the attitude of the speaker you referenced earlier, about how to talk to people nowadays.

You do not care about us.

It is your way - or the highway.

You are just doing your thing: you are preaching. You do not care whether we understand or not. You do not care whether you reach us or not.
If we don't understand something, you simply blame us.
But you nonetheless wish to be seen as the one who knows better - you keep judging whether we have "real understanding or not".

When talking to you, I have the impression that I might as well not be here, because it doesn't really make any difference. No matter what I say, you just go on, like a bulldozer.

Theists are generally like that, though. Like from a different world.

You are simply a religious bully, Jan. A tad more sophisticated than some others, but a bully nonetheless.

Your "strength" lies in not caring about anyone.

It exemplifies your attitude and the attitude of the speaker you referenced earlier, about how to talk to people nowadays.
still don't see a connection..is it how you feel Christianity is like?

You do not care about us.
please do not associate this with ALL Christians..(i will accept 'most')

When talking to you, I have the impression that I might as well not be here, because it doesn't really make any difference. No matter what I say, you just go on, like a bulldozer.
why do you think i won't get into it with Jan?

Theists are generally like that, though.
<sigh>
(see above comment about 'most'.)

You are simply a religious bully, Jan. A tad more sophisticated than some others, but a bully nonetheless.

Back