Common ground in Religion?

Teri

Curious
Registered Senior Member
Is there anyone here that has a pretty good background knowledge on most religious beliefs? I was wondering whether there is anything at all that all religions agree upon?

Any ideas?

Cheers
Teri :)

I think all religions have these two things in common -

1. A dependence on a supernatural component.

2. No proof for their claims.

Cris

I think all religions share (at least) these three components -

1. A belief in a higher power.
2. A belief that one must find favor with this higher power.
3. A belief in a revelation (through "Holy men", prophets, or sacred writings, etc.) that details what is necessary to find favor with said higher power.

-Mike

Is it a belief, or is it a need to believe in a higher power? Do we basically need someone to be better than ourselves? Someone to look up to. Something to maintain order. This someone or something couldn't be human because humankind realize that everyone is equal.

I agree with Cris, but what I was looking for is some sort of religious dogma that all religions agree upon, such as the belief that there is a hell for instance, or that there is only one god. Catholics believe there is one god but then call him 'father, son and holy spirit'. Can you explain that to me?

Originally posted by Ekimklaw
I think all religions share (at least) these three components -

3. A belief in a revelation (through "Holy men", prophets, or sacred writings, etc.) that details what is necessary to find favor with said higher power.

-Mike
1. true
2. partially true
3. wrong

2- Egyptians had higher power deities, evl deities. There was one underground godess which ate Ra every night.
Evil godess, everyone hated her.

3. Latvian paganism- no revelation after death.

Ekim,

No, you are wrong on every count. Your points only refer to a limited set of revealed religions. Here are some very common exceptions.

Buddhism does not comply with any of your points.

Deism only conforms to point 1.

Wicca has beliefs in multiple deities so somewhat conforms to your first point, but is otherwise concerned with harmony rather than authoritarianism, so does not conform to 2 and 3.

Cris

Originally posted by Teri 2
Is it a belief, or is it a need to believe in a higher power?

Both.

Do we basically need someone to be better than ourselves? Someone to look up to.

I would say yes, because this is how we learn.

Something to maintain order.

A thing cannot maintain anything what to speak of order.

humankind realize that everyone is equal.

Not true.

Catholics believe there is one god but then call him 'father, son and holy spirit'. Can you explain that to me?

"God" in "3" persons.

Love

Jan Ardena.

Terri,

There is really only 1 common element in all religions, an imaginative belief in an alleged supernatural.

This belief manifests itself in different combinations depending on the religion and hence prevents any commonality between all religions in any other regard.

Some religions believe in an intelligent supernatural force; this explains phenomena that man cannot create, i.e. the wind, the stars, the motion of the sun, the seasons, etc.

Some religions believe an intelligent supernatural force is directing human affairs, Christianity and Islam are primary examples.

Other religions, like Wicca believe more in a force that can be used and manipulated to bring harmony and order to the world. I guess the idea of “The Force” from the “Star Wars” movies would correspond to this idea as well, an idea that many feel is very acceptable.

Other religions believe that there is a life after death. This is used to overcome the fear of death. Reincarnation and the various flavors of heaven come under this category.

Other religions combine one or more of these concepts as a basis for their belief.

The only common element to all religions is human imagination that gave birth to the idea that there exists a power or powers or a realm that far exceeds the abilities of humans. And since human imagination is fabulously varied then we see this reflected in the large number of varied religions through the ages.

Note that NO RELIGION is based on any direct observation of the alleged supernatural.

Cris

Venturing vaguely off topic here...

Originally posted by Avatar
2- Egyptians had higher power deities, evl deities. There was one underground godess which ate Ra every night.
Evil godess, everyone hated her.
lol, I think that's a male God you're talking about, Apophis/Apep. There is no other God or Goddess in the Ancient Egyptian pantheon that was as great a threat to Ra.

Though that's the case with any polytheistic religons - Aztecs, Greeks, Norse etc etc. A main (relatively) "good" God, (Quetzalcoatl, Zeus, Thor etc), and usually a slightly weaker "bad guy" (though can't give you exmaples off the top of my head)

you sure??? I think that there was a god/demon , but not the go of the dead, that swallowed Ra eve..........
AGGGGGGHR.....fuck...I think I remember now, it was some snake demon....nonetherless, there are many evil gods in many religions.

Originally posted by Cris
Ekim,

No, you are wrong on every count. Your points only refer to a limited set of revealed religions. Here are some very common exceptions.

Buddhism does not comply with any of your points.

Deism only conforms to point 1.

Wicca has beliefs in multiple deities so somewhat conforms to your first point, but is otherwise concerned with harmony rather than authoritarianism, so does not conform to 2 and 3.

Cris

Buddhism is a cultural philosophy that morphed into a religion over time. Same as Taoism. Same as Shintoism.

Deism is not a religion. It is a philosophy.

Wicca and most pagan religions believe in living in harmony with nature. This fits part three. Part two is covered by percieved leaders or even traditions that dictate such a necessity.

-Mike

Part two is covered by percieved leaders or even traditions that dictate such a necessity
disagree. see my latvian paganism thread- page 2 or 3 in relig forums.

Jan,
By confirming the need to believe in someone, you seem to be confirming that god is a concept of man, not an entity at all.

Writing ["God" in "3" persons] means what exactly? This is not an answer.

Substitute 'something' with 'someone' to maintain order, and try replying to that again.

Ekimklaw,
Debating whether Buddhism et al is or isn't a religion is not answering my original question.

Cris seems to be the only one making sense.

Read my question and your replies again, I'm looking for a common factor within religion that would strengthen your own case. Otherwise the whole lot of religions are a bunch of silly beliefs made up to cater to people wanting to following someone and due to that need it must be supernatural to fit your criteria.

The only person giving me clear answers here is Cris.

Cheers folks.
Teri.

Jan,
By confirming the need to believe in someone, you seem to be confirming that god is a concept of man, not an entity at all.

I don't see how you come to that conclusion. We naturally learn from other persons whether we think so or not, that is what i meant by "need" not want.
As I have stated before, man, with all this wonderful technology and supposed intelligence has not been able to come up with any concept close to the personality of God, so there is no evidence to suggest that God is a concept of man.

Writing ["God" in "3" persons] means what exactly? This is not an answer.

your question,

"Catholics believe there is one god but then call him 'father, son and holy spirit "God" in "3" persons'. Can you explain that to me?"

my answer,

"God" in "3" persons'

It is quite simple, these 3 persons are a plenary expansion of the one God.
If you still have trouble understanding, then maybe you should try a different question. ;)

Substitute 'something' with 'someone' to maintain order, and try replying to that again.

Do we need someone to maintain order?
The answere is yes.

Cris seems to be the only one making sense.

Cris can only be making sense from his point of view, how he sees things, he is an atheist and therefore a spectator.
It is like asking the English football fans what they think of Germany.

Otherwise the whole lot of religions are a bunch of silly beliefs made up to cater to people wanting to following someone and due to that need it must be supernatural to fit your criteria.

I beleive that is what you want to think anywayz, thus your questions are both null and void.

Jan,
You have disappointed me.

Jan wrote:
" If you still have trouble understanding, then maybe you should try a different question. "

- That was helpful.

Jan wrote:
"God" in "3" persons'
It is quite simple, these 3 persons are a plenary expansion of the one God. "

- You're calling that an explanation?

Jan wrote:
I beleive that is what you want to think anywayz, thus your questions are both null and void.

- Dismissed.

Thanks for your imput there, Jan.

Jan wrote:
" If you still have trouble understanding, then maybe you should try a different question. "

- That was helpful.

What more could i say, you asked a question and i answered it. If you think you know the answer then why ask the question in the first place.
I am not getting at you, i am just curious.

Jan wrote:
"God" in "3" persons'
It is quite simple, these 3 persons are a plenary expansion of the one God. "

- You're calling that an explanation?

What kind of explanation did you expect?

Love

Jan Ardena.

Thanks for your imput there, Jan. [/B]

But then secular humanism holds similar ideals, and that isn't religious.

Religions aren't all that silly. Well, most of the time. Religion was a useful tool in the times when there was utterly no science to guide the human race. We've got to attribute the survival and *almo~~~st* unity of mankind to religions.

Religious thinking just seems to be a different way of thought. There's your rational, logical way of thought and then there's the way of thought that's based on faith without pondering to see if its right or wrong. It's a matter of which you prefer and which you're used to, and which would benefit the human race most. I frankly think the latter way blocks innovative thought, mainly because of the basic attitude of many religions. When your god(s), if any, say so then it is so and you don't question it. That can impede innovative and inventive scientific research. One example would be the whole stem cell research thing. The only thing that's stopping us from getting new technology (to try to HEAL sick people) is pangs of moral qualms. Why should we be able to clone animals and not humans? The whole concept of humanity being superior to animals is also one artificial idea that has no basis.

There is no god, afterlife or divine love. There is only Entropy, the mother from which we were all born. She tugs our souls with the beautiful, maternal love of chaos. Why do you keep Her waiting?

-central philosophy of Zero, Sage of Chaos

Back