Coming Apart: Blood flows in troubled America

Guns give me the creeps and I don't allow them in my home. Nonetheless I am comforted by the knowledge that many of my neighbors have them, when the government starts breaking down doors in the middle of the night looking for transfatty acids or gay marriage licenses.

In any case, this is not the Third Reich or the Soviet Union. We don't have draconian law enforcement (yet). Drugs are for sale in our schools and our prisons, so I don't see how we expect to curtail the availability of guns.
Those easily frightened by rumors of social unrest might wonder if the new revolution is finally beginning.
The murder rate in the cities of 21st century America is something like two entire orders of magnitude lower than it was in European cities five hundred years ago--when guns were rare. So no, there is no revolution brewing, at least not if this is what you interpret as the harbinger.
It's a bit difficult, though, to understand what Richard Poplawski was trying to achieve—perhaps "SBC", except in that case he failed—when he ambushed Pittsburgh police responding to a 911 call.
The cops have not exactly been endearing themselves to us lately. The War on Drugs has finally recreated Prohibition-Era America, with cops running out of control who are nothing more than unaccountable, incompetent, swaggering thugs.

Right here in the metropolitan area of the nation's capital, it's as if the cops have permission to use civilians for target practice. Shooting at us, invading our homes, running us down with their cars. Hardly a month goes by without someone being wrongly killed by a cop (more like two or three days if you count dead dogs, their favorite target), and exactly ZERO of these bastards have been punished. In fact they're all back on duty, still carrying guns.

Just a few months ago the county police sent a SWAT team to the home of the mayor of a small town, without even doing their homework to see who lived there. It was a drug bust based on research they actually knew was flawed, but they pursued it anyway just for the fun of it. They terrorized the family and murdered their two dogs in cold blood--an autopsy proved that one had been shot from behind while running away. Cops like that have voluntarily seceded from civilization and surrendered their right to complain about what the citizens do to them. To qualify for a job like that you're expected to be just a tiny bit better than the rest of us, not a whole lot worse.

If it's like this everywhere, then golly gee, it's no big surprise to me that some of the more unstable people are finally starting to shoot back. How else do they take back their own country? Perhaps you're right and it is a revolution. A revolution against the civil "servants" whose salaries they pay. You begin to understand why Sicilians in the old days didn't rise up against the Mafia that was running their island. They at least tried to minimize collateral damage. Cops revel in it.

Most cops do nothing but give traffic tickets and pursue the war on drugs, both of which are merely revenue generators for municipal governments. Speeding tickets these days are up into the hundreds of dollars, and "asset forfeiture" has become a slick way to seize top-end cars and other valuable property without due process from people who are never prosecuted.

Last edited:
This and that

Roman said:

Also, people getting killed by meteorites is just hilarious. If I was religious, I'd have to say it was a sign.

Can't say I disagree.

• • •​

Fraggle Rocker said:

The murder rate in the cities of 21st century America is something like two entire orders of magnitude lower than it was in European cities five hundred years ago--when guns were rare.

I'm never sure what people expect this point to mean. After all, five hundred years ago, the very notion of a civilized society was described considerably differently. The point seems to disregard what history suggests; increased educational resources and augmented individual economic empowerment gave people a stake in society. People feel they have more to lose.

This might seem strange compared to the idea of being disowned for marrying the wrong person, but that still happens, sort of. And, comparatively, it's harder to simply disappear into the woodwork and eek out an anonymous existence. Hell, I don't know who actually holds the remainder of my college loan, but they sure as hell know where I am—and seemingly before I get there.

But I think back to the WTO '99 riot in Seattle. Money was the important thing. *Not law. Not principle. Not integrity. Money. The people yawned at the first property damage estimates; what, after a billion dollars in sports arenas, a few paltry million in property damage—especially when the problem was clearly the police—didn't seem so big. Then the number got revised upward. Several million? Yawn, again. So then the city trotted out some abstract, fake number. Something like thirty million in lost revenues for local businesses. Thirty million? Yeah, that got people's attention. Goddamn lefty radicals come tearin' up our city, preventing McDonald's and Starbuck's from collecting the money that we all know is rightly theirs!

The people turn their backs on police shootings. They look away from public corruption until there is no clear vista anywhere. They won't revolt until they're starving in the streets or else delusional with utopian fever. Everyone else ... well, yeah free speech is good. And no, potheads aren't really hurting anyone. And there's no law that says you can't believe the Communist Manifesto. And, sure, the cops had the right guy, but if he'd just been sensible and confessed to a crime he didn't commit, the police would not have had to kill him.

In the end, it's the house, the 2.2 children, the 3.1 cars, the 2.1 DVD players, the 2.3 personal computers, the 2.9 mobile phones, the 1.2 dogs, the half a cat, and that ridiculous lawn that needs to look like it has been cast in a mold before you're a decent member of the community. All of those precious CCRs, and the trouble of finding code-approved porch light bulbs; that can't be for nothing, right?

Why waste all that effort, or turn one's back on all that middle class comfort, for something so abstract as justice?

So there is the psychology of luxury to account for, and all its resulting revisions of social standards. And, to be sure, we must also account for means to ends; to run a criminal organization in prior centuries required more people. How many runners and buttons would you need to coordinate a racket in a densely populated area in sixteenth-century Europe? And how much more could you accomplish with transportation (e.g., bike, motorcycle, car even public bus), a pager, and a pay-phone, circa 1980s American urban gangs?

There is something to be said for efficiency, as well; it's not nearly so messy as the alternative.

The larger point being, of course, that I don't find the murder rate comparisons for the twenty-first and sixteenth centuries quite so applicable in this context.

I would be surprised if you did, either.

So no, there is no revolution brewing, at least not if this is what you interpret as the harbinger.

Actually, that's part of my point. One could easily construe this story as a bellwether of the new revolution, but it's not. Or so says me, and I'm not among the teabaggers; neither am I part of the right-wing radio crowd that has been muttering about revolution at least since they thought Clinton would be the Democratic nominee.

The cops have not exactly been endearing themselves to us lately ....

I do not disagree with your assessment of the police. Indeed, your consideration of Sicilians invokes certain aspects of the psychology of luxury; daylight corrupted is still, for most, a better choice than six feet under.

The revolutionary concept is merely borrowed for framing; it would be easy to write a headline that a troubled man with an assault weapon killed Pittsburgh cops in the belief that he was protecting his Second Amendment rights against future Obama-administration transgressions, except that the seemingly spectacular suggestion is wrong. Poplawski's justifications are far more internal than political. This was more a need to act than express. There really wasn't any point to it.

Still, though, there is a question to consider: As people stumble along the rough road to civic recovery, their passions will be expressed more sharply and dangerously; what do we do about it?

The general cure is recovery; in the meantime, though, the symptom is deadly. Perhaps in the future we will include the psychosocial among our policy considerations. What happens if a plan goes bad? Well, if it's big enough, the murder rate will go up for a while.

Wars, energy prices, a desperate scheme to prolong sketchy economic growth? What could possibly go wrong? What happens if it fails? Well, the other side gets elected, or something. Oh, yeah, and the crime rate takes off. And familial erosion increases. In other words, things fall apart. But for some reason, these impacts aren't generally included in the projections.

Still, though, there is a question to consider: As people stumble along the rough road to civic recovery, their passions will be expressed more sharply and dangerously; what do we do about it?

Take their guns? You know, cause it's for the good of society.

That'd be a great way to start a revolution. All the reactionary radicals in their compounds would flip out. Start Waco's from coast to coast.

If you want to make that sort of argument.

The murder rate in the cities of 21st century America is something like two entire orders of magnitude lower than it was in European cities five hundred years ago--when guns were rare. So no, there is no revolution brewing, at least not if this is what you interpret as the harbinger.

yeah but we arent exactly talking about any kind of monumental brain power being displayed here.

i hardly agree with you or your commentaries which are shortsighted and simple but i think you spent some time on that and made an honest effort to be rational.

What would be the point of that?

I have no idea.
Some people are into that sort of thing, though.

I still can't shake the feeling that those thugs, err, cops, got what they deserved. How judgmental of me, eh?

Last edited:
Back