Combat ethics

I have a few questions regarding to the killing of "the enemy" during combat. Users who've served in the Military would probably consider these questions basic. At any rate, here goes:

If you shoot at the enemy and incapacitate them to where they can no longer fight, are you obligated to finish them off, or do you seek medical attention and take them prisoner (assuming the situation allows)?

Are you obligated to kill an unarmed enemy soldier if they don't surrender?

Are you obligated to kill enemy soldiers who are unarmed, have not surrendered, but are totally trapped/surrounded (example -- a bunch of enemy troops are out of ammo, but holed up in a small dead-end cave.... your squad/unit/whatever is at the entrance of the cave......do you toss in tear gas, or start spraying napalm?

How do you handle a situation where the enemy's weapons are absurdly inferior to your own military?
Let's say an imaginary new tribe was discovered in a remote jungle. The tribe's chief declares war, and the 'warriors' of the tribe are armed with nothing but spears and clubs. They are all dedicated soldiers who will fight to the death no matter what, and never surrender - even when taken prisoner. Do you kill them, or do you use modern nonlethal riot control tactics (tear gas, high pressure hose, etc).

1. It's you obligation to ensure enemies can't get back up to fight again or make a report. Kill them. Especially if saving them is going to be a burden. It's easy. Either slit their throat or shoot them in the head. I would rather save ammunition so if finishing them off with a knife is possible, I would do just that.

2. If they don't surrender then their only option is death.

3. If they are unarmed and are already outmanoeuvre by the squad then they can be POW. They better hope the Geneva Conventions apply to where's they're off to. Hahaha...

4. If they have been known to never surrender the best thing to do is to exterminate them in the most efficient way posible to cut cost, time, and loss of lives on our side. Naturally there will obviously be an attempt at negotiation first with terms of surrender offer and such. If they they are willing to fight to the finish then they must be destroyed right down to the very root. They are a threat as long as they exist especially if there's no evidence of them ever submitting to anyone before. Any survivors are potential terrorist/future enemy in the making. Plenty of historical examples if you care to look it up.

Fugu-dono

Sorry, but you are wrong. Until the present administration, the US has always fought its wars within the bounds of the Geneva Convention. (In a sense, this is like a duel’s Code of Honor.) If your enemy fights unfairly, and you resort to your enemy’s tactics, you become the very thing you are fighting against.

Regarding your 4th comment above. If the US followed your example in WW2 we would have killed all the Japanese because they had a history of fighting to the death and never surrendering. (And in many battles of the war that is just what most Japanese did.) But they did eventually surrender and have not been a threat to anyone since the war, and they did not become terrorist, so your “historical” argument above doesn’t apply. Think about it.

^
Firstly don't go accusing others of being 'wrong' on forum. Sometimes you too might learn something new and I'm sure none of us know absolutely everything. I know I don't.

Special Forces and black ops that operate on secret missions does not always apply to these conventions. Tightlipping sometimes is important. It does depend on the nature of the mission and how high/low profile. Do you think every dirty rotten mission is made public?

There are also many questionable breach of Geneva Conventions over just the last decade alone. However I'm not talking just on behalf of US now am I. I don't think I've mentioned I'm speaking on behalf of any side.

Nothing wrong with my fourth comment. There are more historical examples besides just WW2 you know, or was WW2 the only war human has ever had. Besides, the tactic of using nuclear weapon was a display of power to force surrender which the Japanese did. That was the US' intention. Not everyone thinks to do the same action no? How about Rome and Carthage and many other similar examples? So neither of us are completely right and completely wrong.

Lastly not everything revolves around USA which your post seem to imply. All my four answers stand as to basic of warfare. Let's be honest war is not a game and there really are no rules.

Fugu-dono

Sorry, but you are wrong. Until the present administration, the US has always fought its wars within the bounds of the Geneva Convention. (In a sense, this is like a duel’s Code of Honor.) If your enemy fights unfairly, and you resort to your enemy’s tactics, you become the very thing you are fighting against.
Like the way Germans were treated in WWII? Or does the Geneva Convention not cover the execution of unarmed captured soldiers? As I recall weren't some of the German's put on trial for this same thing?

if you leave an enemy out of action but alive (wounded) on the battlefield, it can most of the time prove better than actualy killing the enemy soldier. simply because his allies and a medic (or 2) will attend to the wounded wich takes them partialy out of action.

if you leave many scattered wounded enemey troops lying about in various squads it can cause a nightmare to the opposing forces. ofcourse killing enemy soldiers is good, but tying up his comrades and the medics is also a good field tactic. because taking 3 troops out of action is better than 1.

peace.

if you leave an enemy out of action but alive (wounded) on the battlefield, it can most of the time prove better than actualy killing the enemy soldier. simply because his allies and a medic (or 2) will attend to the wounded wich takes them partialy out of action.

if you leave many scattered wounded enemey troops lying about in various squads it can cause a nightmare to the opposing forces. ofcourse killing enemy soldiers is good, but tying up his comrades and the medics is also a good field tactic. because taking 3 troops out of action is better than 1.

peace.

Reminds me of essentially sniping 101; sometimes it pays to injure the target, and then when his comrades come to the rescue you can injure them too.

Medics are seldom in the "action" anyway, so it doesn't really take anyone out of the fight except the guy that was wounded.

This old bullshit about wounding fighters is an old, old myth that actually has little or no connection to the realities of war.

Baron Max

Reminds me of essentially sniping 101; sometimes it pays to injure the target, and then when his comrades come to the rescue you can injure them too.

You didn't do so well in the sniper's course, did you? No sniper worth a damn is going to do such a thing and let everyone know where he's hiding!

Baron Max

You didn't do so well in the sniper's course, did you? No sniper worth a damn is going to do such a thing and let everyone know where he's hiding!

Baron Max

I said sometimes. Obviously not done when theres a large group looking straight at you! Use your noodle man.:p
Part of being a sniper is finding good cover, along with making sure nobody is looking at you when you shoot, also helps to have multiple vantage points as you should never stay in the same spot for more than a few shots.

I said sometimes. Obviously not done when theres a large group looking straight at you! Use your noodle man.:p
Part of being a sniper is finding good cover, along with making sure nobody is looking at you when you shoot, also helps to have multiple vantage points as you should never stay in the same spot for more than a few shots.

You really didn't do so good in the sniper's course, did you?

Baron Max

Isn’t true that to some extend what soldiers do in combat depends on who is looking over their shoulder? (If anyone) It’s all very well and good to say “kill them all before they come back to kill you,” and impose a Carthaginian Peace on your enemy, and you might have gotten away with it in the past, but today with CNN, BBC, and a thousand international news organizations reporting on every “minor” incident in a combat zone is that idea still practical? Remember, in today’s world a successful campaign depends not only on military tactics and strength, but also on good PR. It was easier for governments to censor bad PR even as late as the Koran War, but since then television cameras have gone just about everywhere. Think of the cameras impact in Vietnam, where, in my opinion, victory was not determined by what actually happened on the battlefield, victory was determined by the public’s perception of what happened on the battlefield.

^ I agree that Carthaginian Peace is probably not acceptable today but please don't take my point out of context. It was merely to illustrate that such things do happen throughout the history of warfare.

Good PR? It's all pro-militant propaganda and the stories that gets through the net are usually just those that the government wants us to see. Some times a key issue will slip out about certain unethical matter in view of modern warfare conventions back home.

While I agree that the battlefield reports are fine, as public have the right to know things, the reporters must also understand the sensitivity of things that go on out there. Sometime there are certain truths that the public should not see for the sake of the soldiers fighting. For the sake of homeland support.

IMO It would be better for the masses to understand that in war it's not a game with rules. It's life and death out there whereby sometimes extreme measures must be taken in certain situations. It's kill or be killed.

Medics are seldom in the "action" anyway, so it doesn't really take anyone out of the fight except the guy that was wounded.

This old bullshit about wounding fighters is an old, old myth that actually has little or no connection to the realities of war.

Baron Max

incorrect. what do american troops do when they get a man down? the same as british troops. give him cover fire while he is taken to a neutral zone, wich takes others out of action to help him.

peace.

incorrect. what do american troops do when they get a man down? the same as british troops. give him cover fire while he is taken to a neutral zone, wich takes others out of action to help him.

If they're giving covering fire, then they aren't out of action, are they.

Baron Max

I've backed up my arguements, you've lowered yourself to repetative comments when you have no arguement. How dull. I thought better of you.

You've never been in combat, so....

Combat has rules and ethics and shit like that ONLY to people who weren't involved in the situation ...people who can stand back and make judgements of others without knowing shit about it.

Baron Max

I have a few questions regarding to the killing of "the enemy" during combat. Users who've served in the Military would probably consider these questions basic. At any rate, here goes:

If you shoot at the enemy and incapacitate them to where they can no longer fight, are you obligated to finish them off, or do you seek medical attention and take them prisoner (assuming the situation allows)?

Are you obligated to kill an unarmed enemy soldier if they don't surrender?

Are you obligated to kill enemy soldiers who are unarmed, have not surrendered, but are totally trapped/surrounded (example -- a bunch of enemy troops are out of ammo, but holed up in a small dead-end cave.... your squad/unit/whatever is at the entrance of the cave......do you toss in tear gas, or start spraying napalm?

How do you handle a situation where the enemy's weapons are absurdly inferior to your own military?
Let's say an imaginary new tribe was discovered in a remote jungle. The tribe's chief declares war, and the 'warriors' of the tribe are armed with nothing but spears and clubs. They are all dedicated soldiers who will fight to the death no matter what, and never surrender - even when taken prisoner. Do you kill them, or do you use modern nonlethal riot control tactics (tear gas, high pressure hose, etc).
Every time I listen to an imbecile expand upon some notion of “combat rules’ or “ethics” I think I’ve stumbled upon another imbecile wanting to stack the deck in his favor with laws and regulation so as to increase his chances and to alleviate his sense of inadequacy in the face of the unpredictable.
But, then again, I might be wrong.

Last edited:
You've never been in combat, so....

Combat has rules and ethics and shit like that ONLY to people who weren't involved in the situation ...people who can stand back and make judgements of others without knowing shit about it.

Baron Max
What we were discussing wasn't about ethics.
Seeing as you mention it however I believe if someone has been taken prisoner then they should be looked after if the situation allows for it, obviously not at the expense of your own troops. I'm quite realistic and know war isn't black and white with these situations. I don't believe however that people should be taken prisoner and then gunned down on the whim of a soldier. Unfortunately this occured on both sides in WWII and no doubt in other wars and I'm quite appalled at it. I consider it honourable to offer and accept someones surrender if possible to prevent needless loss of life on both sides, I also consider if someone accepts your surrender you shouldn't then be shot as a POW.

I consider it honourable to offer and accept someones surrender if possible to prevent needless loss of life on both sides, I also consider if someone accepts your surrender you shouldn't then be shot as a POW.

In Vietnam as well as with the Japanese in World War II, they'd often "surrender", then when in close to some of the soldiers, they'd blow themselves up along with the soldiers. And you expect soldiers to still consider surrender "honorable"?

And look at the Iraq and Afghan wars now ...it's a real danger to the troops to accept someone's surrender so easily ...so honorably, as you so idealistically put it.

See? That's where idealism and reality just can't come together, just can't be discussed on equal terms. The idealist will hold to his ideals even in the face of overwhelming situations; whereby the realist is able to grasp that the ideals of a situation might have to change with varying situations.

I don't believe however that people should be taken prisoner and then gunned down on the whim of a soldier. ...and I'm quite appalled at it.

Appalled by it? I don't know ...that's war, I suppose. The very same guy who just shot and killed your very best friends, who now by dropping his gun and raising his hands, suddenly becomes someone ...honorable? Worthy of protecting as a prisoner of war? The warrior just turns off his emotions, jettisons his adrenaline, ...and treats the enemy as a ...nice guy?

See how idealism and reality just can't come together in such situations? It's so easy to make judgements while sitting in the airconditioned comforts of home ...Monday morning quarterbacking ...but it's not so simple "out there". With a single squeeze of the trigger, in a fit of anger, the guy who killed your best friends can be ...gone. Can you or anyone really turn off their anger, their surge of adrenaline, so easily as you expect our soldiers to do?

And just so you know ....I am talking for the enemy soldiers, too, not just our own soldiers. I don't abide by torturing them, or dragging their bodies thru the streets, but I can understand one soldier killing another ...on either side.

Baron Max

In Vietnam as well as with the Japanese in World War II, they'd often "surrender", then when in close to some of the soldiers, they'd blow themselves up along with the soldiers. And you expect soldiers to still consider surrender "honorable"?

And look at the Iraq and Afghan wars now ...it's a real danger to the troops to accept someone's surrender so easily ...so honorably, as you so idealistically put it.

See? That's where idealism and reality just can't come together, just can't be discussed on equal terms. The idealist will hold to his ideals even in the face of overwhelming situations; whereby the realist is able to grasp that the ideals of a situation might have to change with varying situations.
I'm somewhere between the two, I admit to considering ideals but also recognise realistic situations. I said the situation is never black and white, so in those situations the ones surrendering have to be aware someone may have already screwed that option up for them. Unfortunate but that's how it is, this doesn't apply in all wars however and discretion should be used with regards to numbers blowing themselves up in those situations, obviously if it's just an isolated incident I would not expect thousands of surrendering soldiers to be killed.

Appalled by it? I don't know ...that's war, I suppose. The very same guy who just shot and killed your very best friends, who now by dropping his gun and raising his hands, suddenly becomes someone ...honorable? Worthy of protecting as a prisoner of war? The warrior just turns off his emotions, jettisons his adrenaline, ...and treats the enemy as a ...nice guy?
That's war, your comrades fell, so did his. That's all part of just following orders and doing your duty, if someones looking for an opportunity to get out of that why deny it? If thousands of soldiers run out of food and ammo and surrender should they just be murdered? Is it only acceptable if it's one or a small group?

See how idealism and reality just can't come together in such situations? It's so easy to make judgements while sitting in the airconditioned comforts of home ...Monday morning quarterbacking ...but it's not so simple "out there". With a single squeeze of the trigger, in a fit of anger, the guy who killed your best friends can be ...gone. Can you or anyone really turn off their anger, their surge of adrenaline, so easily as you expect our soldiers to do?
That's part of their job, unless the soldier is a complete moron you KNOW the people you fight with could die in any second, just like you could, you are not allowed to exact revenge without consequences in a civilian situation why should war be different? Especially when it isn't unexpected.
I guess it comes down to morals, if your friend is killed on the street you won't kill his killer because of going to jail, in a war you might, because you can get away with it. It's human, but does that make it right and acceptable?

And just so you know ....I am talking for the enemy soldiers, too, not just our own soldiers. I don't abide by torturing them, or dragging their bodies thru the streets, but I can understand one soldier killing another ...on either side.

Baron Max
I don't distinguish between the two, attempting to view it from a neutral viewpoint so to speak, I consider all to be treated equal, obviously if one side breaks this the other is likely to do so too, but that doesn't make it right.
I also put myself in the situation, If I was a part of a war and surrendered I'd expect to be marched off to a POW camp, sure not treated great, it's no hotel, but kept alive and not offered a cigarette before being stabbed in the back, I'd offer the same treatment to any enemies.
I should point out there is a difference between surrender and simply an unarmed enemy prepared to fight.

Back