coincidence?

Do you believe that all things happen for a reason?

• yes

Votes: 13 46.4%
  • no

Votes: 15 53.6%

• Total voters
<i>"To believe in fate requires that you believe in some kind of deity that could dictate fate."</i>

Why is that a requirement? I don't see any reason why the possibilities must be constrained by our limited imagination.

Bowser: Who dictates fate then? Are you saying fate is a force in itself?

Maybe deity was the wrong word. I don't necessarily mean a god or godess, I meant some type of external influence, a higher power, "The Force" even. I'm just wondering how (or if) someone can support their belief in fate without having some type of "faith".

Fate = premeditation, which requires SOME force to do the premeditating, doesn't it?

If fate can be a force, that is, it exists simply because it has to, then things may HAPPEN as planned, but maybe not for a REASON, which is what Beth's question was.

Adam,

<i>Does thought originate from the brain's chemical and elctrical activity? Or is that activity stimulated and affected by our will, imagination, decisions? Maybe a big of a chicken and egg thing.</i>

There's no scientific reason to believe that the mind is separate from the brain. There is no evidence that that is the case. Therefore, it is fair to assume that thoughts, will, imagination etc. all result from electrical activity in the brain. Of course, that in turn is affected by sensory inputs, interactions with other people and things and so on.

this reminds me of the scene in 'signs' when mel gibson tells joaquin phoenix...
Off topic, but I didn't even know Joaquin was pronounced "Hwah-keen". :) Anyhow...

I voted yes, there's a reason. But since I'm a deaf, dumb, blind, sensory-deprived, infinitely stupid lowly mortal, I won't know till I reach my grave.

Yes, I like to look at the brighter points in my life.

:D :D :D

BTW, fate and destiny are the same damnable thing. Argh, I kept telling my friend that, but she just won't bloody hear me out.

Anyway...

*wanders off*

JamesR

If there is only the electrical/chemical activity of the brain, and sensory input, that means everything we (and all other creatures) have ever been, and could ever be, is permutations on existing conditions. This denies free will, imagination, new ideas, et cetera. It seems to me that such an idea (although I have no proof to the contrary) reduces us all to mere automatons. Maybe we are. I wonder if Merlijn or Xenu could shed some light on brain activity in areas associated with memory, senses, and imagination/creativity.

The free will question is a complicated one if the universe is deterministic. Nevertheless, it is at least arguable that we can have free will <b>and</b> determinism. It all depends on what you need for a willed action to be considered "free".

Back