coincidence?

Do you believe that all things happen for a reason?

• yes

Votes: 13 46.4%
  • no

Votes: 15 53.6%

• Total voters
things happen because of something else, and things happen as a result of the thing. But nothing happens for a reason in mind. Unless it s somthing that humans or animals do for a reason, like Study for a test to make an A.

All things happen because something else happened before. Whether you want to call that a reason or not is up to you.

JamesR

The idea that all events follow a causing event is interesting in terms of human thought. Do you discount imagination/original thoughts?

Of course not, Adam. But an original thought is still caused by a certain pattern of electrical activity in the brain.

The Celtic spiral is an interesting notion. It suggests a path which cleanses the soul, and that each individual walks their own.

this reminds me of the scene in 'signs' when mel gibson tells joaquin phoenix there are two kinds of people in this world: those who believe in luck/fortune and those who believe in coincidence.

personally, im in the second group. people who believe in luck/fortune/that god is watching over them are unrealistic.

even if god exists, or some higher power exists, why does that mean it must predetermine your fate for you? or even simply 'watch over' you?

you can really scientifically believe in luck.
Luck is just an event which has a very low probability of happening.

nothing magical

and besides:
there are only three types of people in this world- those who can count and those who can't

<I>"Luck is just an event which has a very low probability of happening. </I>

Interesting. Some people seem to always be standing under the curve of probability, while others travel from end to end.

ok- I don't really think there is a plan of how to be lucky...
maybe there are many more probabilities, maybe some ppl just don't make the right choices, maybe they don't ....., maybe they are just unlucky:D
whatever

what do you imply?

It's just an observation. I think a lot of it depends on your understanding and your definition of <i>good fortune</i>. My personal view is that everything cycles. And maybe, so does probability.

Without suggesting any certainty on my part--events seem to have a life of their own. Animated and in motion, constantly evolving into something else, they influence our progression in life.

If you survive a hurricane or a car accident, your life will have forever been changed by that event. I don't care how much control you have in your life, you're still submerged in the events of life, and those events will shape you and your destiny.

But...nothing is certain, I suppose.

What goes around, comes around. You get what you give, always.

No coincidence, just the cycle of being.

Happy things need to come, to keep you going, sad/unhappy things need to come to teach you and make you wise is the culmination of things (happy, unhappy and in between) happening in life.

Something like that anyways. I seem to be in an unhappy stream at the moment. A little lost for English words. May also be, because I spend too much time on a Dutch Forum, though.:)

See you...

JamesR

Originally posted by James R
Of course not, Adam. But an original thought is still caused by a certain pattern of electrical activity in the brain.
Okay... The brain's architecture and chemistry affects thought, or is one with thought, whichever way you wish to view it. I see the brain as a mechanism through which the mind functions. So a question. Does thought originate from the brain's chemical and elctrical activity? Or is that activity stimulated and affected by our will, imagination, decisions? Maybe a big of a chicken and egg thing.

<i>"...original thought is still <b>caused</b> by a certain pattern of electrical activity in the brain. "</i>

And, of course, scientific observation monitors the origin of every thought :p Or is the arrogance and zealotry of the new religion prone to make assumptions?

Sorry, that kind of slipped off my fingers.

The poll was about things happening for a reason .

I think there's a great difference between cause and reason. You can always say that anything has a cause; if you can point to anything and say that if that hadn't happened, then the thing in question hadn't happened, then you can argue there is a cause.

Reason, on the other hand, seems to imply purpose. If I take a walk, and a bird craps on my head, there's a cause, but there's no reason.

Hans

<i>"Reason, on the other hand, seems to imply purpose. If I take a walk, and a bird craps on my head, there's a cause, but there's no reason. "</i>

Maybe the bird doesn't like you. :p

To believe in fate requires that you believe in some kind of deity that could dictate fate. It might be easier to ask yourself if you believe in God first; if you don't believe in God then there's no point in worrying yourself over the idea of fate.

I'm not certain enough about my beliefs on God to be able to say what I believe about "things happening for a reason". If things do happen for a reason, who decides what will happen and to what end?

At the moment, I don't things happen for a reaon. The only reason a person would think otherwise is because it is possible to make after the fact justifications. It is really easy to take things out of their worldly context and apply some kind of meaning/explanation to them.

I think I should watch Minority Reprt again.

Sorry, I feel kinda messed up at the moment, my head is spinning from class [insert dizzy looking smiley].

I agree, sort of. Atleast, i think there are certain sets of "possibility paths" that one can take in life. If you know what i mean. I'm also an advocate of the "anything is possible" saying. :cool:

Back