christianity is for the weak at mind

ggazoo said:
Because there's no point. In order to debate something like that I would use the Bible as grounds for my argument... grounds that you've already refuted to begin with, so it would an excersice in futility.
The real question is why you haven't refuted them.

superluminal said:
I've asked repeatedly of cool skill, Illuminatingtherapy, and others to raise a simple concept of theism to discuss rationally, and no theist ever steps up.

So ggazoo, why don't you or some other xians/theists pick a bible topic to be tested and reasonably concluded upon and start a thread? Why are all of the theists so afraid of this???
I'm not totally clear what you are after superluminal? The Bible won't give you the boiling point of mercury, or the nature of dark energy. It isn't that sort of book. It's about discovering your inner life, which requires hermeneutical reflection. There is a current thread going on the practical meaning of "turning the other cheek", and if you really want something to test you could try Rev 3:20.
"Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me."
or...
"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest" (Mathew 11:28).
However, I sense you may be reluctant! :D
SnakeLord said:
Purely out of interest, what value do you think a bunch of stories written by ancient shepherds has when it comes down to reality?
The stories they valued enough to pass on hold truths about our nature as humans. It's called wisdom. You may of course have no use for it SL! ;)

Diogenes' Dog said:
I'm not totally clear what you are after superluminal? The Bible won't give you the boiling point of mercury, or the nature of dark energy. It isn't that sort of book. It's about discovering your inner life, which requires hermeneutical reflection.
you can get that from any book. books like Aesops fables, a Thousand and one nights etc..
Diogenes' Dog said:
There is a current thread going on the practical meaning of "turning the other cheek", and if you really want something to test you could try Rev 3:20.
or aesops fables "The Fox and the Cat" or "The Gnat and the Bull"
Diogenes' Dog said:
However, I sense you may be reluctant!
I would'nt say reluctant just "A false tale often betrays itself"(The Fox and the Monkey )so it is wiser to use common sense.
Diogenes' Dog said:
The stories they valued enough to pass on hold truths about our nature as humans. It's called wisdom.
Wisdom! I dont think so, since when has any religious person used the ability to discern or judge what is true, or right, or even used Common sense, and good judgment.

The stories they valued enough to pass on hold truths about our nature as humans. It's called wisdom.

That is quite honestly debateable. I personally wouldn't consider "stone naughty children to death" as wisdom in any way whatsoever.. anything in the bible that you might consider as 'wisdom' is something that mankind has always known - and never needed a book for.

When it comes down to the crunch, LotR has just as much wisdom in it - and yet, given the purpose of my question, it wouldn't be considered as having value when coming down to reality, (i.e that there's balrogs, orcs and elves).

And yet we constantly see people just agreeing with ancient people that knew nothing all because they said so. Frankly I find it ludicrous.

Back