Chief exorcist says Devil is in Vatican

lol. Only because I'm currently underfunded. I'm working on it.

'underfunded', .... why do you think nobody wants to give you any money?

Because perhaps serious naturalists with serious backing, who spend long months in the wilderness so we can observe rare animals in nature, just don't see what you claim to be there?

Because investors want a return for their money? They don't want you to come back without any footage of the animals you claim to exist?

Have you made any successful trips tracking animals that _do_ exist, btw? Established yourself as a credible naturalist, and therefore capable of distinguishing between real, and cryptozoological animals?

Have you made any successful trips tracking animals that _do_ exist, btw? Established yourself as a credible naturalist, and therefore capable of distinguishing between real, and cryptozoological animals?
I've sucessfully tracked and viewed a cryptid Big cat in my local area. Didn't get any photographic evidence in the early rays of daybreak though. All I need is the kit now to do the job more professionally. Ive been a self-employed garden fencer before incidentally, which probably doesn't sound like much to you.

I've sucessfully tracked and viewed a cryptid Big cat in my local area. Didn't get any photographic evidence in the early rays of daybreak though. All I need is the kit now to do the job more professionally. Ive been a self-employed garden fencer before incidentally, which probably doesn't sound like much to you.

Why not buy yourself a Camcorder or a digital video camera with Night vision.
You could get a second hand Camcorder on ebay for about £50-£90, or a brand new digital camera.
This for example
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VIVITAR-VIVIC..._Camcorders?hash=item483904fe82#ht_1788wt_940

Last edited:
Why not buy yourself a Camcorder or a digital video camera with Night vision.
You could get a second hand Camcorder on ebay for about £50-£90, or a brand new digital camera.
This for example
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VIVITAR-VIVIC..._Camcorders?hash=item483904fe82#ht_1788wt_940
You're having a laugh! I tried that already! No way hose(h). I need a Starlight video camera not an illuminator (I think that some nighttime cryptids with red-eyes can see in IR light!)

It seems more that he is attempting to excuse certain behaviour and blame it on the devil instead of laying responsibility on the actions of the indivduals themselves.

Spot on. Read Genesis 3: 8-13...As Solomon says, "there is nothing new under the sun."

That's not to say there isn't complicity and shared responsibility here--there is. However, only humans have access to The Remedy**.

**see the biblical book of Numbers chapter 21 verse 9.

Last edited:
(I think that some nighttime cryptids with red-eyes can see in IR light!)

I didn't think of that.
But why would a creature which needed to see in Infra Red, have eyes that reflected red light?

Nocturnal animals are almost totally insensitive to Infra Red. Their eyes mainly have rods, which are more sensitive to light. The few cones they have wouldn't trigger very well under Infra Red,

Seems to me you want to buy a camera you can't afford instead of one which is well within your budget which would do the job perfectly.

Are you blaming the equipment because you can find no evidence for imaginary beasts?

@Spud
So the Prince of darkness turns up at the ball.

It's very theatrical.
A Ball at the Vatican, where the devil appears. That conjures up a lovely mental image.

Re post below.
OMG I'm agreeing with Photizo.
Well, I'm agreeing with Photizo agreeing with Bells anyway.
I'll have to have a rethink.:)

Last edited:
You're having a laugh! I tried that already! No way hose(h). I need a Starlight video camera not an illuminator

Odd that, because serious naturalists manage just fine with off the shelf Gen1 Image Intensifier equipment.

(I think that some nighttime cryptids with red-eyes can see in IR light!)

OK, now, you have a problem with warm blooded creatures using IR to see, don't you? Do you understand why?

He pops down one hole and then pops up in another.
It's like that game, Gopher bash. It drives you nuts.

images

Anyone need any common sense round here?

I can understand why no animal would use IR for night vision.
If they were using cones rather than rods, which they aren't, they would mainly have green sensitive cones. Green. Same as night vision equipment.
The only possible reason for Cryptobeasts to have evolved to see the least energetic and minimal part of visible light would be to avoid Cryptobiologists with night vision cameras.

But Phlogistician, is there some special reason why a warm blooded creature cannot use IR? Why a warm blooded creature, rather than any animal, and why cannot rather than would not.
Possibly I'm reading too much into your statement, but if there is a reason, I would like to hear it.

Last edited:
But Phlogistician, is there some special reason why a warm blooded creature cannot use IR? Why a warm blooded creature, rather than any animal, and why cannot rather than would not.
Possibly I'm reading too much into your statement, but if there is a reason, I would like to hear it.

Any cell designed to pick up Infra Red, would detect it's own heat, wouldn't it? It would be blinded by the heat emitted by itself.

Humans radiate around the 10 micron wavelength, as would other warm blooded animals of a similar body temperature, if we were talking about a mechanism to help us find prey. Near IR starts from 750nm, and from E=hf, it's clear to see there's not much energy in those 10 micron photons, so detecting those amidst the ambient noise from our body heat is going to be really tricky.

There's a reason we use the spectrum that we do, as being able to see in the dark would be a great advantage, if only the physics of it weren't so tricky.

I can understand why no animal would use IR for night vision.
If they were using cones rather than rods, which they aren't, they would mainly have green sensitive cones. Green. Same as night vision equipment.

Heh!:D *Major* misconception right there. IR isn't perceived as green by ANY optical sensory organ - that's simply the color phosphors used by night-vision display devices. The display itself - just like the old, original green monochrome computer displays. :)

I've just checked my facts, and there are a few errors.

1. It would be more accurate to say the green-blue part of the spectrum.
2. Rhodopsin, the chemical used for night vision, is present in all cones, but in very small amounts. It is the Rhodopsin in rods which is responsible for night vision.

The general point still stands.
Red light is useless for night-time vision, and infra red would be worse.
It is useful for night vision cameras because there is a strong artificial source of IR light.

Rhodopsin of the rods most strongly absorbs green-blue light and therefore appears reddish-purple, which is why it is also called "visual purple". It is responsible for monochromatic vision in the dark.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhodopsin

Last edited:
Any cell designed to pick up Infra Red, would detect it's own heat, wouldn't it? It would be blinded by the heat emitted by itself.

Humans radiate around the 10 micron wavelength, as would other warm blooded animals of a similar body temperature, if we were talking about a mechanism to help us find prey. Near IR starts from 750nm, and from E=hf, it's clear to see there's not much energy in those 10 micron photons, so detecting those amidst the ambient noise from our body heat is going to be really tricky.

There's a reason we use the spectrum that we do, as being able to see in the dark would be a great advantage, if only the physics of it weren't so tricky.

Interesting point.
I'll have to watch that I get my facts right on this. He could pop back in at any second.

Interesting point.
I'll have to watch that I get my facts right on this. He could pop back in at any second.
Yeah, sorry for the delay. I'm interested in phlog's point about the hypothetical night-vision ability of a cryptid. Assuming that a mammal remained elusive at night due it having night vision and reports stated it as having oversized eyes that could glow red, what would you're conclusions be on the method of it's nocturnal sight? (I instantly assumed illumination of IR light, with the eye 'seeing' the reflections, but come to think of it, this might only be useful for short distances). What do you think?

It's reflected light.
The following article is about the problem of red-eye in animal photographs.

.......The difference is rooted in the fact that some animals are naturally nocturnal. Their eyes are specially made so that seeing in the dark is not a problem. Most nocturnal animals have a layer at the back of their retinas called the 'tapetum lucidum'. It is an even better reflector of light than a human retina, and acts like a mirror on the back of the animals eye ball.

The result of this is that if you shine bright white light into an animals eye, they reflect that bright light back very well. Again though, in most animals we do not observe 'white eye'. In the case of humans the blood vessels color this light red. In animals, the color of the reflected light depends on the pigments in that individual animal's eyes. The bright green color we are used to seeing from animals caught in headlights on the road is common to cats, dogs and deer. Crocodile's eyes glow luminous red when caught in the light.

http://www.easyelements.com/animal-red-eye.html

I'm not sure how many creatures eyes glow red.
But if you are getting a photograph with glowing red eyes it's one of them.

Rabbits?

Last edited:
D. The most outstanding thing the two men remember the most, was the size of the creature's eyes. He said they were disproportionally large, compared to the head and they were of an amber color.
E. He said that the face looked like something out of a horror movie. It had a sinister look.
F. Harlan described it as being about seven feet tall. It's loins were slender and it's chest and shoulders were tremendous.

http://jmichaelms.tripod.com/HIS/

D. The most outstanding thing the two men remember the most, was the size of the creature's eyes. He said they were disproportionally large, compared to the head and they were of an amber color.
E. He said that the face looked like something out of a horror movie. It had a sinister look.
F. Harlan described it as being about seven feet tall. It's loins were slender and it's chest and shoulders were tremendous.

http://jmichaelms.tripod.com/HIS/

We can probably safely rule out rabbits then.

Are you serious? Millions of years of evolution is a powerful force of creativity, ingenuity and solutions. We didn't even know about extremophiles until recently, before that people thought that life originated from the action of the sun's rays. Do you honestly believe that these eye-witness accounts by professional hunters in their home patch are not to be believed because you say the physics doesn't match!? You don't think nature could develop an eye that could act both as a starlight night viewer and as an emitter of waves which detects their reflection from nearby objects? Are you that sure?

Back