Chicken or penguin?

Who would win in a fight between a chicken and a penguin?

• Total voters

GeoffP

Caput gerat lupinum
Valued Senior Member
I invite your assistance to help me solve a question that plagues biology and has been running through my mind for quite some time:

Which bird would win in a fight? A chicken or a penguin?

You decide. Long-winded diatribes are especially encouraged.

I guess it depends on who gets home turf.

In the farmyard the chicken has the advantage, the penguin won't last too long due to limited mobility and inability to raise its feet high enough to get a good scratch in, so its dependent on striking with its beak.

On the Penguin's home turf its a different matter - on the antarctic ice, the penguin simply needs to hold on for long enough for the chicken to freeze to death - and considering its thick layers of body fat protecting its vital organs, I don't see it having too much of a problem - likewise in the water, the penguin can make speedy and elegant hit and run strafing runs on the chicken, while the chicken just flops about steadily drowning.

I'd take the chicken Foghorn Leghorn...

foghorncel.jpg

over Chilly Willy any day....

chilly_willy.gif

Chilly is just to small and cute to even try to fight.

Come on, let's be serious here. We're considering chickens and penguins of equal sizes on a neutral proving ground.

Don't try and make this thread about some kind of sick inner biases of your own.

None of you are worthy of being penguins.

I assume male chickens are allowed to play? No contest if they are. A good rooster wouldn't have much trouble with an eagle on the ground, let alone a penguin.

Come on, let's be serious here. We're considering chickens and penguins of equal sizes on a neutral proving ground.

Don't try and make this thread about some kind of sick inner biases of your own.

None of you are worthy of being penguins.

But considering that a penguin will be at a distinct disadvantage in anything but an aquatic envionment and the chicken would be equally disadvantaged IN the water, how would you determine a neutral proving ground?
Mixed boggy terrain perhaps?

Yeah...I really don't see penguins kicking too much ass, too slow on land and no real weapons to speak of. I'll put my money on the chicken.

Yeah...I really don't see penguins kicking too much ass, too slow on land and no real weapons to speak of. I'll put my money on the chicken.

Thick body fat would give the penguin some protection - but could only really hope to win by soaking up the blows until the chicken is exhausted - rumble in the jungle stylee

We have to look at it from a scientific physical perspective. A normal chicken mass is 3 lbs and a penguin normal mass is 75 lbs. (wiki)

From the momentum of inertia equations it is quite apprehendable that a penguin would win a fight.

ContRary to popular homersexual (as in the love between two educated men: not to be confused with the standard relationship between men from Manchester) belief the penguin is actually a highly skilled predator, whereas the ChiCken is merely a docile herbivore only capable of establisHing a pecking order.

Last edited:
We have to look at it from a scientific physical perspective. A normal chicken mass is 3 lbs and a penguin normal mass is 75 lbs. (wiki)

From the momentum of inertia equations it is quite apprehendable that a penguin would win a fight.

depends on the penguin I think - emperors are very large, Adeles are small - but you have a point tho, we would need to decide on the species first.

Last edited by a moderator:
Penguins eat meat so I would have to think they would know how to go in for the kill. A chicken would just flap around and a make a lot of noise.

I dunno. I think chickens can fight a bit. They're smaller but fast. But I still think the penguin would win. Rope-a-dope, followed by one herring smack and Clucky is out.

Chickens are one of the most elite fighters in the animal kingdom lbs for lbs. That's not a joke. They have huge sharp spurs on their feet they dig into their adversaries with surgical precision. Even with a big size advantage a penguin would be opened up like a can of soup in no time at all.

Definatley Penguins, why do you thing Col Sanders went for chickens? His staff were too scared of the alternative.

Back