Challenging another person's stance on religion?

Some people are of the conviction that the behavior of those "God squads" is a form of religious or spiritual bullying or religious intimidation. And that as such, it should be outlawed.

What do you think?

Is it an assault, an act of bullying to stop a person in a public or private space and inquire of them what their religious stance is?

Some people take offense at being challenged on their religious stance. Why?

its sad that this happens, i have had an encounter like this also i just say show me hard proof that i can see or hold.. bible doesnt count because its been passed down and is all hear say " like 1000 people up tell them a story see if person 1 and 1000 stories are the same..

religion is all on opinion, most theists say they dont care if you believe or dont believe, yet look down on everyone that doesnt see eye to eye with them kinda like an oxy moron

we have atheists in the public sphere challenging belief in God and wanting to impose their lack of belief on the majority.

Holy fucking hypocrite, Batman! Have we heard everything so fucking full of bullshit it reeks to high heaven?

Your fucking cults have imposed their violent medieval myths and superstitions on societies for centuries, killing and pillaging along the way, and now you're complaining that it's probably time to stop the madness?

So perhaps intolerance is just what the world is more in tune with.

What fucking bullshit is that? Your cults ARE intolerant, we've experienced intolerance for centuries from the Abrahamic religions.

Having a religious conviction that is inferior to some other religious convictions.

How does one measure this inferiority?

The fact is that there are people who are rarely or never molested by bullies.

Rarely or never? Which?
Examples of those who are never molested by bullies?

Sure - in the sense that one person may be susceptible to a sexual bully, but not a religious one, for example.

Same tactics; same methods of repelling them then? Or at least showing them up for what they are?

How does one measure this inferiority?

By feeling outwitted or defeated by someone else.

Rarely or never? Which?
Examples of those who are never molested by bullies?

I can't give you any names, but surely you have noticed how some people just don't seem to attract any bullies, or are able to get rid of them easily.

Same tactics; same methods of repelling them then? Or at least showing them up for what they are?

I don't think so. I mentioned this earlier that the evangelical theistic bullies seem to be better off, more powerful.

Is it an assault, an act of bullying to stop a person in a public or private space and inquire of them what their religious stance is?
It depends. It certainly could be bullying. If it is a part of finding out who is 'right' or 'good' it likely would have an edge of bullying, even if the inquiry was made politely.

Questioned and challenged are different interactions to me. Challenging strangers on their religion seems off to me. I could go into that more if you like. Asking someone could be OK. I mean, they can say they prefer not to answer.

Some people are of the conviction that the behavior of those "God squads" is a form of religious or spiritual bullying or religious intimidation. And that as such, it should be outlawed.

What do you think?

I agree. It should be outlawed . religion is a personal matter . if I want to worship a rat , it is my business as long as I am peaceful and a law abiding citizen . All religions are man made crap and it does not require a PHD in philosophy to realise this fact .

I agree. It should be outlawed . religion is a personal matter . if I want to worship a rat , it is my business as long as I am peaceful and a law abiding citizen . All religions are man made crap and it does not require a PHD in philosophy to realise this fact .
kind of interesting how you posit the central issue to be considered is the law .......

A discussion implies a willing partnership in discourse. If a student says they are not interested in someone's cult beliefs and is threatened or continues to be harassed then there is no 'willing' partnership in discourse.
That's exactly what I'm saying. If they are not interested or feeling threatened, then it's not a discussion - it's bullying and it should have consequences. :)

It depends. It certainly could be bullying. If it is a part of finding out who is 'right' or 'good' it likely would have an edge of bullying, even if the inquiry was made politely.

But for what other reason than to find out who is "right" or "good" are religious inquiries made?

Questioned and challenged are different interactions to me. Challenging strangers on their religion seems off to me. I could go into that more if you like.

Please do!

? Why not?
Do you not make your decisions on whom to associate with on the basis of how outwitted or defeated you feel by someone?
I've never been outwitted or defeated so I don't know what influence that would have on my decisions.

Back