Cerebral Sci Fi Films

Arguably, Eduard Artemyev is the hero of that film anyway. And the dude that played that rippin take on Bach's BWV 639. I don't know what Lem was expecting--had he even watched any of Tarkovsky's previous films beforehand? The guy likes to take it sllloooowwwwww and is not big on exposition.

It's unclear whether Lem was satisfied with Tarkovsky's screenplay prior to the studio demand for revisions. But the fact that he had creative input with respect to the former, and apparently didn't become highly outraged until after the latter, seems to indicate he was at least "okay" with the original product.

Well, I take that back. The quote from Lem at the bottom[1] indicates he had a level of dissatisfaction even prior to the studio interference. Lem wanted the central point of the novel to be emphasized: That an intelligent alien life form may be so severely non-anthropomorphic or unlike terrestrial biology in general that humans cannot understand what it is trying to communicate, or what its MO is stemming from.

Tarkovsky, on the OTOH, seemed to roll with the revisions, being well familiar with how one always has to conform to and compromise with studio demands (there was no A24 back then). And those changes didn't really conflict with what he was trying to do:

• Tarkovsky's film is about the inner lives of its scientists. [...] Tarkovsky concentrates on Kelvin's feelings for his wife, Hari, and the impact of outer space exploration on the human condition. [...] The film was Tarkovsky's attempt to bring greater emotional depth to science fiction films; he viewed most Western works in the genre, including 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968), as shallow due to their focus on technological invention.

Of course, my feeling about 2001 is that its professional detachment is part of what made it unique, or one of several components that differentiated it from the many sci-fi movies of that era and before that unfailingly catered to romantic (amorous and sentimental) melodrama. (Sans any conflation with 1972 Solaris. Even Lem coughed-up C&P rather than comparison to a novella in a pulp magazine from the 1930s.)

- - - footnote - - -

[1] Stanislaw Lem: . . . as I told Tarkovsky during one of our quarrels — he didn't make Solaris at all, he made Crime and Punishment. What we get in the film is only how this abominable Kelvin has driven poor Harey to suicide and then he has pangs of conscience which are amplified by her appearance; a strange and incomprehensible appearance. This phenomenalistics [sic] of Harey's subsequent appearances was for me an exemplification of certain concept which can be derived almost from Kant himself. Because there exists the Ding an sich, the Unreachable, the Thing-in-Itself, the Other Side which cannot be penetrated. But in my prose this was made apparent and orchestrated completely differently... I have to make it clear, however, that I haven't seen the whole film except for 20 minutes of the second part although I know the screenplay very well because Russians have a custom of making an extra copy for the author.
_

Last edited:
I thought the Martian was fantastic.
It's one of those stories where nothing much happens, and yet the audience is engaged every minute. I'm not a fan of flash and firefights; prefer a low-key movie.
Quite liked Close Encounters, the first time I saw it.
Yet, I absolutely hated Ex Machina.

[...] Not keen on Avatar

I've never seen either Avatar. As soon as some reviewer slotted it as another tired "noble savage" allegory or a Woke revision/update of the Edgar Rice Burroughs tradition, I was out.

Outer-space version of "indigenous caretakers of Nature with alternative New Age values/powers" versus the symbol of the evil Western world (immoral science & technology, capitalism, and desecration of Nature).

Of course, Dune might qualify as similar -- so maybe it's just cherry-picking. Torturously construing that the older stuff isn't partaking in the newest or latest fad regenerations of the Party.

But I've got tribal membership and a CDIB card asserting an eighth blood (one could be as blonde as Veronica Lake and it wouldn't matter in these heavily interracial "clubs", as long as you're not in a pageant or an election candidate). So one of these days I'll probably break down and see it, after an elbow prod. (Nah, while they promoted Marvel's Echo in the tribal paper, I don't expect a distant cultural rip-off like Avatar to have ever aroused their interest. More like surely another in a long line of direct or indirect Hollywood insults.)

Last edited:
I thought the Martian was fantastic.

Not keen on Avatar
Yes the Martian was excellent, except that they spoilt it with that stupid ending, which was not in the book and had the unfortunate effect of calling into question how realistic the rest of it had been. I cannot understand why film directors can’t portray a book faithfully, without screwing around with it.

Yes the Martian was excellent, except that they spoilt it with that stupid ending, which was not in the book and had the unfortunate effect of calling into question how realistic the rest of it had been. I cannot understand why film directors can’t portray a book faithfully, without screwing around with it.
Last couple of sci fi books I read were Burning Chrome, William Gibson. I hated it, badgered into reading sci fi (because I said I did not like sci fi)
Johnny Mnemonic is one of the stories and this was made into a film which was garbage from start to finish.

I have probably read a few book to film and the only ones where the film stepped up were, "The Omen," David Seltzer wrote the book and the film still stands up today, 1976.
The other is an obvious one, "Jaws" Peter Benchley. I was not that impressed with the book but the film 1975 is a classic and changed some key details.

Directors try to make books more accessible which is annoying, Lord of the Rings is a good example

Directors try to make books more accessible which is annoying, Lord of the Rings is a good example
That is to say, more popular - usually by substituting visual effects for dialogue and complex ideas.
LotR was far too big for the movie format; they had to leave too much out - including what I considered the best parts. Instead, they wasted a huge swath of the movie on armies and battle scenes. Colourful, rather than meaningful.

The first half of the first Avatar was enjoyable. The idea of the avatar itself was intriguing, and I appreciate meticulous world-building - the ecology, the language and culture. And it was pretty to look at.
Then, [sigh] came all the battle scenes[/sigh] and ruined the whole thing. Actually, the making of the movie movie was more interesting.

(Don't like William Gibson??? Okay, Burning Chrome isn't his best book; Spook Country is.)

Watch it as a double feature with Fern Gully or Pocahontas.

Too much of a church sermon overdose. Especially when you're partly one of the guilty white man's or socioeconomic preacher's mascots for his path to postcolonial redemption. I can barely stay awake during the conventional kind (though that's really when attending funerals, and the pastor wants to throw in some advice and admonition after the eulogy process).
_

Last edited:
Tarkovsky, on the OTOH, seemed to roll with the revisions, being well familiar with how one always has to conform to and compromise with studio demands (there was no A24 back then). And those changes didn't really conflict with what he was trying to do:

A24 seems to operate in a manner somewhat similar to how a handful of big record labels operated in the 1970s: trust the people who are actually making the product to know what "works". A radical idea! What doesn't necessarily pay off in dollars--Nico's Marble Index, for instance, sold fewer than two thousand copies before it was eventually reissued on cd in the mid-90s (and later vinyl reissues)--might pay off in clout and "street cred". And don't those things eventually translate into dollars? (I honestly don't know and don't care. :D )

[...] And don't those things eventually translate into dollars? (I honestly don't know and don't care. :D )

It's surviving, anyway. Maybe A24 will eventually fade like Wyndham Hill Records, but it was fun while it lasted. (And there's surely a film company equivalent of CandyRat Records spawning in murky waters somewhere to take its place, if it does.)
_

It's surviving, anyway. Maybe A24 will eventually fade like Wyndham Hill Records, but it was fun while it lasted. (And there's surely a film company equivalent of CandyRat Records spawning in murky waters somewhere to take its place, if it does.)
_

Even low-budget films are often subjected to the whims of the financial backers. Believe it or not, many a Jess Franco film was radically altered to suit the bizarre inclinations of the distributors. It's kind of hard to tell when watching them, but I've got several books on the guy which lay out his true artistic "vision" and thoroughly document the many, many changes made to his films.

I have never had the urge to watch Avatar for quite a number of reasons, but first and foremost: I don't like CGI. Some CGI is ok, but when the main characters are entirely CGI? The Mandalorian would have been unwatchable if Grogu hadn't been a muppet.

I saw the live-action Scooby Doo movie in a drive-in some years. I knew it was gonna be crap, but the dogs wanted to see it. Most everything in the movie was "real" (live-action), except for Scooby and I could barely even see him. He appeared more as a ghostly apparition that faded in and out. I caught bits and pieces of him here and there. It was depressing.

Avatar was done very well, technically. Lots of attention to detail.
I could easily have spent two hours, just exploring Pandora. (preferably with Sigourney Weaver, whom I've always admired) I was - as usual, and I know it's unavoidable - turned off by all the battle scenes.

Would it be inappropriate to mention a couple of tv series? I really liked The 4400 on Netlflicks and quite liked Ascention.

We tried to watch the second Avatar, but quit after 20 minutes. Recycled people started showing up. W.T.F.?
Has anyone mentioned The Martian?
The Martian is a good film, but almost ruined for me by the erroneous depiction of a Martian sandstorm on which the plot hangs... yes, there should be lots of sand, and it may be quite high wind speed, but the air density is so low on Mars (c. 2% of earth's) that it would not blow people over, let alone topple spacecraft. The biggest threat would really only be lack of visibility. Lots of films get that wrong. Even the author knew it, and admitted to taking creative liberties for the sake of plot.
Other than that, it's certainly an enjoyable film. :)

The Martian is a good film, but almost ruined for me by the erroneous depiction of a Martian sandstorm on which the plot hangs... yes, there should be lots of sand, and it may be quite high wind speed, but the air density is so low on Mars (c. 2% of earth's) that it would not blow people over, let alone topple spacecraft. The biggest threat would really only be lack of visibility. Lots of films get that wrong. Even the author knew it, and admitted to taking creative liberties for the sake of plot.
Other than that, it's certainly an enjoyable film. :)
It's a pity. They could have dodged that plot hole easily by, say, having the antenna simply fall on him from the top of the hab.
Maybe they were halfway through disassembling the antenna, so the guy wires were detached, when the storm hit.

Of course, the other plot hole was the magical-strength duct tape and tarp.

Other than that, superior film.

Of course, the other plot hole was the magical-strength duct tape and tarp.

Other than that, superior film.
Well, it is set in the future, so some leeway can be given for assumed future developments in materials, surely? ;)

I don't think the movie we saw today is actually Sci-fi, though Prime* lists it under that genre. 'The Man from Earth' is very low-key philosophy - all they do is sit around a cabin and talk. There is a promo for a sequel that looks as if it has a lot more action, and therefore I'm not interested.
(Bloody Prime is not only hiding content in pay-more pockets but it's running ads now, like commercial tv. I guess they figure - correctly - that we've given up regular broadcasting and don't have any option but pay to watch commercials. Gotto love capitalism!)

Back