Cats

John Connellan

Valued Senior Member
Does anyone else notice that unlike dogs, cats never ever breath through their mouth?! I think this is what gives them an air of dignity over dogs. Even after chasing a cat, the cat will still appear "cooler" than the dog.

Isn't it amazing the way they act like better animals as well! If something life-threatening happens to them (such as a dog chasing them) they always act very nonchalant after the event! Often a cat will just look away from a barking dog as if the cat is trying to convey disinterest!

Finally (I better ask a question!): has anyone ever seen a cat with a cold? If they have a blocked up nose, do they breath through their mouth then?

My mothers cat often breathes through his mouth. He has had sinus problems since he was a kitten. I rescued him from near starvation, and he was very sick. He has since grown into a healthy cat, but he has never completely gotten over his sinus problems. He doesn't have much of a meow as a consequence.

Attributing dignity to a cat is garden variety anthropomorphization. I don't think cats are more dignified than dogs, just very different animals.

I've also seen cats breath through their mouth when out of breath. My friends cat would do that when chasing a toy mouse on a stick. She loved doing it so much that she would do so until she was ready to collapse.

And I had another friend who's cat would retrive a rubber ball for you. He just liked to chase it, so he would bring it back to you so you'd throw it again. He grew out of it though.

My cat Weasel is ten years old, but he has stayed surprisingly playful. In my experience, many ten year old cats won't play at all, or nearly at all. I am glad that cats don't stay as playful as they were as kittens though. Kittens are fun for a while, but soon you find yourself wanting them to grow up into lap cats, rather than tearing at full speed around the house all day and night.

Yeah, one of our cats used to be extremely playful. he would spot me going over to a wall with a stick and he would place himself on the other side of the wall. I would poke the stick through various holes in the all, he would have to try and guess which hole I would stick it through and catch the stick!

These days (he's about 5 or 6 years old now), he might still actually go over to the wall when i go over with a stick, but he justs sits there for a minute or 2, looking at me poking the stick through. He would then walk off with disinterest!

Isn't it amazing how cats mature just like us?! Who here still plays with their LEGO<sup>TM</sup>?!

John Connellan said:
Isn't it amazing how cats mature just like us?! Who here still plays with their LEGO<sup>TM</sup>?!

LEGO kicks ass! (and I'm 33)

Cats rarely engage in exhausting exercise for as long as dogs do, so they don't very often run out of breath. That's why you seldom see them panting. Dogs evolved to be pack hunters, which requires them to have the stamina to chase prey long enough to simply exhaust it, as well as themselves. Cats evolved to be solitary hunters, which requires them to be quick, stealthy, and smart, and catch the prey before it gets a good head start and before either party runs out of breath.

Dogs and cats both play according to their hunting instincts. Dogs run around in packs until they fall down panting. Cats chase each other around the room once and then they take a six hour nap.

Cats and dogs have much different shaped skulls and nasal passages, which means that colds and other respiratory ailments give them different visible symptoms. American Persian cats, which have lately been bred to have those ridiculously flat faces (as opposed to the British standard, which is more old-fashioned) commonly have sinus trouble. They sneeze and wheeze and breathe through their mouths and need daily doses of antihistamines just like people.

As for the different ways that dogs and cats behave in similar situations, you have to remember that possibly the most significant difference between the two otherwise rather closely related carnivores is that dogs are social animals and cats are not. We think our pet cats are naturally social creatures because they seem to behave that way, but it's actually a strange phenomenon called "neoteny" that only occurs in captivity. Something in our relationship with our cats (and quite possibly in eight thousand years of domestic selective breeding) makes them revert to the behavior of kittens when they're around us and have all of their basic needs fulfilled. But still, they are instinctively solitary creatures as adults. They don't have the complex behavioral instincts that dogs and other pack animals do that is required in order for packs to function.

Cats may or may not have a sense of dignity. It's quite possible that a creature that leads a primarily solitary existence would still care how it looks to others of its kind who might be thinking of encroaching on its personal hunting territory, to a potential mate, and to other predators.

Dogs have a whole lot more to think about. They've got their pack hierarchy, which is as complicated as a bunch of humans preening themselves to get ready for a night club. Or for a gang fight, which actually has a lot more in common with what our pack of hard-headed Lhasa Apsos do for fun and exercise. :)

I'm glad we're on the topic of cats, I think there might be something wrong with my Pooky. Lately she's been walking funny with her hind legs, as if she was raped by a much larger animal or something. And whenever she jumps up somewhere, such as from bookshelf to television, she misses the target and slips down. She is still extremely playful, and a bit more loving than usual. It's just that I'm really worried about her legs and hips. Are there any diseases associated with hips and legs for cats? I believe she is only 8 years old, and she is an indoor and outdoor cat.

Mine cat has been doing that too, but I thought it was because of a skin irritation, its like she jumps up somewhere, feels like scratching and gets distracted about the landing.

Oh, cats! Lovely, gorgeous, wonderful cats!

Yes, cats do pant, breath through their mouth. Our cat hates to ride in the car, and the whole trip to the vet is very disturbing for him. He can get so upset and hot that he pants, tongue out.

I have also seen cats with a cold, with driveling noses, and they still tried to breath through the nose.

John and RepoMan,

Have you ever observed a cat when she gives up interest in something? There is this special look of boredom, in greatest nonchalance, this "Ah."
Like our cat would catch grasshoppers, play with one, bite off one of its legs, and then, as the grasshopper stoically stood there, still, the cat would just walk away. It's amazing.

Over, my suggestion is that you get your cat to the vetrinarian right away. Let an expert diagnose your cat.

OverTheStars said:
I'm glad we're on the topic of cats, I think there might be something wrong with my Pooky. Lately she's been walking funny with her hind legs, as if she was raped by a much larger animal or something. And whenever she jumps up somewhere, such as from bookshelf to television, she misses the target and slips down. She is still extremely playful, and a bit more loving than usual. It's just that I'm really worried about her legs and hips. Are there any diseases associated with hips and legs for cats? I believe she is only 8 years old, and she is an indoor and outdoor cat.
It might not be a disease but physical trauma. Cats are famous for jumping too far, or trying to jump too far and missing their target. As they get older they learn that they can't do the things they used to do when they were young -- but not before they fail a few times. Your cat may have missed a jump and fallen several feet to the floor.

Sure, cats have fallen out of skyscrapers and lived, but no reporter ever followed one of them around for a couple of days to see if all their parts were working. Your cat may have torn her ligaments completely off of her knees. One of our small dogs did that once by jumping off the back of an easy chair onto a hardwood floor. It's a two hundred dollar operation per knee, but they can put them back together as good as new. Without the surgery, she'll be limping around in excruciating pain and the wound will no longer be reparable within just a few months.

Or she could have internal injuries. If this is the case you definitely do not want to put off a medical checkup. She could be bleeding internally or one of her organs might not be working right and she could simply keel over dead with absolutely no warning.

If you think I'm just trying to scare you, you're right, but I'm not exaggerating. This is scary stuff. I've lived with companion animals of several species for more than sixty years and I've watched several of them die from conditions that a vet could have cured if I'd been smart enough to take them in sooner.

Don't delay. If you love your cat, find out what's wrong with her before it gets worse. The cost of a checkup is only about twenty bottles of "purified" water.

Oh -- very few species of animals commit rape. Humans and dolphins (yes, dear sweet Flipper) are the only two I know of. And of those two species, only one is known for having sex with other kinds of animals. And it's not Flipper. There's absolutely no way your cat was raped by a larger animal or even by another cat. Male cats cannot get horny unless the female is in heat and producing the pheromones that drive them crazy. And if she's in heat she'll oblige any male around.

Well ok, if you want to be precise, closely related species sometimes mate like wolves and coyotes or camels and llamas. Cat breeders have had great success cross-breeding domestic cats with ocelots. But there's still no way it's rape. The male of either species still won't be interested in the female of the other species unless she's in heat and ready to mate. Their size difference isn't enough to be a problem. And it's a swell way to breed cats that don't have to be quite so afraid of pit bulls.

Last edited:
OverTheStars said:
I'm glad we're on the topic of cats, I think there might be something wrong with my Pooky. Lately she's been walking funny with her hind legs, as if she was raped by a much larger animal or something. And whenever she jumps up somewhere, such as from bookshelf to television, she misses the target and slips down. She is still extremely playful, and a bit more loving than usual.

I agree with fraggle. Get the cat to the vet. Could be a urinary tract infection also.

OverTheStars

One of our cats had a wasp sting on upper leg after which, for a while, he couldn't jump very well.

All

One of our cats (Norwegian Forest Cat) jumps and pulls down the kitchen door handle - then kicks the door frame with her hind legs to open the door - regularly. Have seen it happen several times.

This is quite well known withindoor cats. Quite a few people we meet at shows say they have fitted reverse door handles - up to open.

RosaMagika said:
John and RepoMan,

Have you ever observed a cat when she gives up interest in something? There is this special look of boredom, in greatest nonchalance, this "Ah."
Like our cat would catch grasshoppers, play with one, bite off one of its legs, and then, as the grasshopper stoically stood there, still, the cat would just walk away. It's amazing.

I know! I honestly think cats are one of the most arrogant species. Maybe that's why I like them. I have to say, I don't care for dogs that much. For some strange reason I get the feeling that dogs love sucking up to humans but they do it in a sly way. They are always trying to get something. |Cats just seem more honest in their approach to everything.

Now if I'm not anthropomorphisising [sp?!] now, then I never was!

Cats are great, I used to have a chocolate point siamese. It was terrified of me. I wasn't nasty to it, but it was neurotic. Probably too much inbreeding (got him from a cat charity).

Once I found in my house a cat that doesn't live here... it was funny... at first sight, I thought he was one of mines, but then I stepped back a few, and realized that the cat I thought he was was lying in my bedroom... when I looked again at the invasor cat (with no menacing look, I swear) the poor thing started to run away desperately (I also should say that I'm not so ugly to justify this panic), I make a mess all over the outer part of the house, trying to run from me (but I was not chasing him!), but trying to find his way out where was too smaller to him pass, on the backyards... then he went to the outer front part of the house, where suposedly he came from, but I didn't realized that the door was closed, so didn't opened it before! The cat tryed to jump straight from the gtound to the roof, multiple times, jumping around 3m to 3,5m at jump, very close to achieve wha he was trying, but not enough yet.... after nearly five consecutive jumps, he stared at me with his mouth a bit opened, I don't know if he was breathing by it's mouth, but could be.
I thought that cats have much less breath than that required by so many jumps consecutively... (not mentioning all the running and the attempts to run squeezing himself throught tiny passages)
Ah, and then the cat run to the backyards again, and I just opened the front door of the house, and eventually he went out.

Interesting beings. The ones that live here had learn to leave the house even when the front door is closed, climnbing through it as it was a vertical ladder (the invasor didin't know his technique)... but with degrees of nearly 1 or 2 mm to grab in.... claws, this things are really useful.

EXCERPTS FROM A CAT'S DIARY:
DAY 752 - My captors continue to taunt me with bizarre little dangling
objects. They dine lavishly on fresh meat, while I am forced to eat dry
cereal. The only thing that keeps me going is the hope of escape, and the
mild satisfaction I get from ruining the occasional piece of furniture.
Tomorrow I may eat another house plant.

DAY 761 - Today my attempt to kill my captors by weaving around their feet
while they were walking almost succeeded, must try this at the top of the
stairs. In an attempt to disgust and repulse these vile oppressors, I once
again induced myself to vomit on their favorite chair...must try this on
their bed.

DAY 765 - Decapitated a mouse and brought them the headless body, in attempt
to make them aware of what I am capable of, and to try to strike fear into
their hearts. They only cooed and condescended about what a good little cat
I was...Hmmm. Not working according to plan.

DAY 768 - I am finally aware of how sadistic they are. For no good reason
I was chosen for the water torture. This time however it included a burning
foamy chemical called "shampoo." What sick minds could invent such a liquid.
My only consolation is the piece of thumb still stuck between my teeth.

DAY 771 - There was some sort of gathering of their accomplices. I was
placed in solitary throughout the event. However, I could hear the noise and
smell the foul odor of the glass tubes they call "beer." More importantly I
overheard that my confinement was due to MY power of "allergies." Must
learn what this is and how to use it to my advantage.

DAY 774 - I am convinced the other captives are flunkies and maybe snitches.
The dog is routinely released and seems more than happy to return. He is
obviously a half-wit. The bird on the other hand has got to be an
informant, and speaks with them regularly. I am certain he reports my every
move.
Due to his current placement in the metal room his safety is assured. But I
can wait, it is only a matter of time...

EXCERPTS FROM A DOG'S DIARY:

Day 180
8:00 am - OH BOY! DOG FOOD! MY FAVORITE!
9:30 am - OH BOY! A CAR RIDE! MY FAVORITE!
9:40 am - OH BOY! A WALK! MY FAVORITE!
10:30 am - OH BOY! A CAR RIDE! MY FAVORITE!
11:30 am - OH BOY! DOG FOOD! MY FAVORITE!
12:00 noon - OH BOY! THE KIDS! MY FAVORITE!
1:00 pm - OH BOY! THE YARD! MY FAVORITE!
4:00 pm - OH BOY! THE KIDS! MY FAVORITE!
5:00 pm - OH BOY! DOG FOOD! MY FAVORITE!
5:30 pm - OH BOY! MOM'S HOME! MY FAVORITE!
6:20 pm - OH BOY - DAD'S HOME! MY FAVORITE!

Day 181
5:30 pm - OH BOY! MOM AND DAD ARE HOME! MY FAVORITES!

Day 182
1:30 pm - ooooooo. bath. bummer.
5:30 pm - OH BOY! MOM AND DAD ARE HOME! MY FAVORITES!

Bottom Line:
Dogs are Fun..................Cats Suck.

Back