Cancer cure, finally?

Getting back to the topic...

the key sentence once again was:

The researchers stress that further research is needed to determine if the engineered anthrax toxin will have similar effects in humans.

some things work in mice that don't work for humans...let's keep out fingers crossed

I just wanted to point out (in reference to the above qualification about the mouse research), that although there's always "further research" needed and they always say "an actual treatment is still a long way away" and all that-- the exciting thing about this particular set of experiments is twofold: first, it is a treatment that was found to be almost rediculously effective; 92% is basically a near-perfect correlation in a field like this; usually they jump up and down if tumors are reduced 15%, or whatever... Second, and more importantly, the scientists conducted a range of tests, on both "native" mouse tumors, and implanted human tumors-- I don't recall which results went with what, but they saw reductions in size from 87% of the original tumor gone, up to 100% reduction in tumor size! That's right-- the entire thing. Not one cancer cell could be found remaining in some of their experiments. That is thrilling news, I think.

So we might be a long way from it helping, yes-- but when was the last time you heard of anything that was even this promising? And, of course, it's a classic problem that we fix whatever-it-is in pigs, monkeys, rats, what have you; and then can't get it to work in humans-- but in this case, they've already seen very similar results in actual human tumors implanted in mice. That also sounds very promising as far as the "how well will it work on us" problem.

-- Isarmann

Back