Can atheists tell right from wrong?

I think they choose not to notice.

Um...I really don't believe that's true. That would mean the vast majority of people on this planet actively decide not to notice that they are deciding what is moral and what isn't.

How many of them got different moral values about how to treat women from each other their parents? (think about the divorce rate and the reasons for divorce and think you will see that many people, right out in the open, experienced important value differences between their parents. (I am not a child of divorce either so there are many others in this group).

That is a good question...how many of them did get different input about how to treat women from their parents? I think you assume too much when you assume that most people heard conflicting things. Interestingly, you have already said you did, and I think you're projecting your own situation on to the masses, when I don't think it's true at all.

Those explanations are as complicated acts as any building a morality would be.

Not at all. If you have the foundation already, then when you are presented with a moral issue, you will react to it based on your foundation. You are claiming it is a conscious thing, I think the evidence points to the opposite.

Who doesn't? Which is precisely my point. I am tired, in relation to certain kinds of theists, of being told implicitly that they are somehow making less of a claim about their abilities. As far as I can tell their hubris quotient is as high as mine.

They're not lying. They were raised into that line of thinking, most likely, and that is all they know to be true. Honestly, the ones who claim to be nothing more than a humble servant are the most honest ones, because that's the truth. They believe in a rigid system that they don't question--hence, they are humble servants.

Um...I really don't believe that's true. That would mean the vast majority of people on this planet actively decide not to notice that they are deciding what is moral and what isn't.
Yup. (I mean I think a lot more of them take more responsibility than you give them credit for, but there is a very significant portion of the theists who, yes, I think are lying, to themselves first.)

That is a good question...how many of them did get different input about how to treat women from their parents? I think you assume too much when you assume that most people heard conflicting things. Interestingly, you have already said you did, and I think you're projecting your own situation on to the masses, when I don't think it's true at all.
Or you are.

Not at all. If you have the foundation already, then when you are presented with a moral issue, you will react to it based on your foundation. You are claiming it is a conscious thing, I think the evidence points to the opposite.
Then people would not always seem to have an explanation. They will always tell you it makes sense. If I tell you that punctuated equilibria makes more sense than gradualist positions you will think I am making claims to know some evolutionary science.

We are not tape recorders.

They're not lying. They were raised into that line of thinking, most likely, and that is all they know to be true. Honestly, the ones who claim to be nothing more than a humble servant are the most honest ones, because that's the truth. They believe in a rigid system that they don't question--hence, they are humble servants.
Some of the ones who claim this are in fact humble. Many who claim to be humble are like Adstar.

(it's kind of ironic that the atheist, you, if I have that right, is defending the honesty, self-awarenss and integrity of theists. I hope you will remember this when I have my theist hat on.)

Or you are.

I doubt that. You're the one here making the bigger claim. The simplest answer is usually the right one.

Then people would not always seem to have an explanation. They will always tell you it makes sense. If I tell you that punctuated equilibria makes more sense than gradualist positions you will think I am making claims to know some evolutionary science.

We are not tape recorders.

Dude, look around. We absolutely are tape recorders. That's why this nation gets more and more liberal as each generation makes way for the next, because that new generation grows up in a society where those once-immoral things are commonplace. Your grandparents might have hated the fact that black people lived in the neighborhood, and your father might have regurgitated the same nonsense but cared about it less, and here you are, with more black friends than white, and couldn't possible imagine what all the fuss was about.

You will justify it with whatever you like, but the fact is you don't hate black people because you grew up with them.

(it's kind of ironic that the atheist, you, if I have that right, is defending the honesty, self-awarenss and integrity of theists. I hope you will remember this when I have my theist hat on.)

Unfortunately, your theist hat is a dunce cap...

I only claim that theists honestly believe what they are fed, and only believe it because that is how they were raised. In some cases, they found the religion later because of some personal weakness, but the reasoning is the same. It makes sense to them. I won't, however, claim that they have it right.

I doubt that. You're the one here making the bigger claim. The simplest answer is usually the right one.
If that's a reference to Ockham's Razor you are confusing a metholodical suggestion with a metaphysical one. Further you are making claims about as many people as I am. And beyond that you made generalizations about theists yourself earlier in another context and below, which constitute equally broad claims and equally complicated ones since theists obviously rationalize their beliefs - in morals, for example, which was the topic - and therefore are in fact engaging in as complicated a process as the atheists they accuse of hubris. Your hypothesis would need to explain how this very obvious phenomonon - they willingness to explain why God's rules are good ones, does not mean they are making claims about their own abilities. You seem to confuse what I am saying with me making the claim they do not believe what they say they do. I have said nothing of the kind.
Dude, look around. We absolutely are tape recorders. That's why this nation gets more and more liberal as each generation makes way for the next, because that new generation grows up in a society where those once-immoral things are commonplace. Your grandparents might have hated the fact that black people lived in the neighborhood, and your father might have regurgitated the same nonsense but cared about it less, and here you are, with more black friends than white, and couldn't possible imagine what all the fuss was about.
1) Sounds like you see us as all passive. Which is strange. Where is change coming from? 2) Your tape recorder theory means that you dismiss all the - widely diverging - explanations theists have for why God's moral rules are good ones, or why their belief in God is sound and so on. You are making the claim that they, regardless of their explanations, are tape recorders. Ockham, be still. 3) You also seemed to have missed the whole point I was making about the claims to knowledge the theists have. They can explain their morals - iow: why God's rules are good ones - with as much certainty as atheists. They think they understand why the rules are good. This is a claim to high skill levels. There are a few theists who will say 'because God said so' and nothing more, just as a few atheists will say they believe something is good because of tradition or society wouldn't have that rule if it wasn't a good one, but the vast majority of both groups claim to understand the reasons for their moral choices. This is a huge subjective enterprise for both. Thus the theists cannot simply take a humble position and point at atheists and say they are exhibiting hubris when they come up with ethical rules. 4) Do you see yourself as a tape recorder? And if you do, I can't see where the urge to debate comes from once you realize this? If you don't consider the possibility that others are much more active in their beliefs than you realize. Even if they use this activity to reinforce beliefs they were given as children. Even if they are choosing to keep the beliefs from their childhood via these activities.

You will justify it with whatever you like, but the fact is you don't hate black people because you grew up with them.
I cannot see the relevence of this. I think racism is based on trained to hate and fear. Reduce the training and you reduce the racism. Or offer counterexperience and the training has less chance to hold - unless the experiences are so controlled by racism - for example life on a plantation - that one cannot disconfirm ideas so easily. But every racist can justify their racism and will - obviously I disagree with their 'reasoning' - and form a perfect analogy - without the moral baggage - for a theist. The racist is not simply accepting tradition. The racist has an ongoing dialogue with himself and others where he 'convinces' or tries to himself and others that racism is correct - see Norsefire. Further we have a huge liberal crowd that does the same thing in reverse, convincing themselves and other not to be racist. Both groups are making huge claims about their own ability to ascertain the truth.

Your example of racism is good in that it points out some of the weakness of rational argumentation interpersonally. But it is irrelevent to my point which is that racists, non-racists, anti-racists, and theists and atheists in developing their morals engage in a large body of 'rational' activity. They are all working hard in precisely the ways theists point at atheists and claim they are pompuous or think they are god.

No. All these groups are making very high claims about their ability to rationalize and understand the truth of certain moral positions.

And that is where I get pissed off at certain theists, primarily found in Europe and USA - since it is there I encounter these arguments most - when they point fingers at atheists and cry 'hubris' - albeit with other shorter words in general.

No. Hubris is fairly universal. There are exceptions on both sides.

Unfortunately, your theist hat is a dunce cap...
You know. We disagreed, but I thought it was interesting.
I guess you find insulting people useful somehow and probably also moral. I don't get it, but we can forget this discussion.

What you write below shows that you do not understand my argument. I never said they did not believe their theist beliefs.
I only claim that theists honestly believe what they are fed, and only believe it because that is how they were raised. In some cases, they found the religion later because of some personal weakness, but the reasoning is the same. It makes sense to them. I won't, however, claim that they have it right.
Bye.

Last edited:
If that's a reference to Ockham's Razor you are confusing a metholodical suggestion with a metaphysical one. Further you are making claims about as many people as I am. And beyond that you made generalizations about theists yourself earlier in another context, which would also constitute as broad claims.

I simply asked how you knew everyone got conflicting moral signals from their parents. Also, it was clear that you were projecting your obviously special circumstance onto the population at large, which is a no-no. And whatever generalizations about theists I've made are largely true, having been demonstrated plenty of times. You, on the other hand, are working on the assumption that most kids get different moral input from mother to father.

Sounds like you see us as all passive. Which is strange. Where is change coming from? You also seemed to have missed the whole point I was making about the claims to knowledge the theists have. They can explain their morals - iow: why God's rules are good ones - with as much certainty as atheists. They think they understand why the rules are good. This is a claim to high skill levels. There are a few theists who will say 'because God said so' and nothing more, just as a few atheists will say they believe something is good because of tradition or society wouldn't have that rule if it wasn't a good one, but the vast majority of both groups claim to understand the reasons for their moral choices. This is a huge subjective enterprise for both. Thus the theists cannot simply take a humble position and point at atheists and say they are exhibiting hubris when they come up with ethical rules.

Have you ever been to church? These people are simply regurgitating their pastor's sermon as their reasoning. And those are the more intelligent ones. You're more likely to find--at least in the ardent circles--people who give you "because it's a sin" or "because God said so" as their reasoning. I mean, do you go outside? Do you interact with people? Do you know a theist? I'm asking because either you haven't, or you have only met the most hyper-intelligent theists in the world.

I cannot see the relevence of this. I think racism is based on trained to hate and fear.

The same is true of religion. Largely, anyway. But training nonetheless. Like racism, faith is learned, and by nature feeds on your weaknesses in order to convert you.

Thus the theists cannot simply take a humble position and point at atheists and say they are exhibiting hubris when they come up with ethical rules.

Actually, no. If you read the Bible (or whatever your holy book may be), you aren't given a choice. It's not like an experiment where they give you two different examples and let you decide which one you believe is correct--you are told in no uncertain terms that this is the way, and this is why. That is why theists speak with such authority while still claiming to be humble servants. They have made no choices, they have simply accepted the religion as truth, and probably because they were swayed by the promise of eternal salvation, or frightened by the specter of eternal hellfire.

Your example of racism is good in that it points out some of the weakness of rational argumentation interpersonally. But it is irrelevent to my point which is that racists, non-racists, anti-racists, and theists and atheists in developing their morals engage in a large body of 'rational' activity. They are all working hard in precisely the ways theists point at atheists and claim they are pompuous or think they are god.

Well, I think you for that. It means a lot, seriously. You're a wicked smart guy, and I enjoy the discourse.

But, like I've said before, I don't believe that there is any decision-making going on. It actually goes against the system to make that moral judgment for yourself. In order to have faith, you have to submit to the words. And that leap is made because the promises are so great, and those promises (of either heaven or hell) are so provocative, that they naturally work on a level that is quite independent of choice--it's fear or hope, actually.

You know. We disagreed, but I thought it was interesting.
I guess you find this kind of shot useful somehow. I don't get it, but we can forget this discussion.

I should have added the smiley afterward, because it really was meant as a good-natured joke. Sorry if I offended you.

What you write below shows that you do not understand my argument. I never said they did not believe their theist beliefs.

No, I understand it well, I just sometimes post very late (or very early, which is very late for me) and don't word things properly. Like now, for example, I have been awake for...26 hours? Yes, right around there. I'm certain not all of this post makes a whole lot of sense...anyway, your argument is that you don't like that theists claim to be humble servants with no say in the matter when in reality you believe that they fully do make the choices for themselves...right?

of course.
as an athiest, I was raised christian
As a christian, I was taught the ten commandments
as an atheist, I still follow most of the ten commandments.
Morality has nothing to do with religion.

Although I deny that Jesus was the son of God, I do believe that he taught some good things and that there are some good morals to be found in the Bible.

of course, there are also probably the same -or similar- morals in the Quran, Torah, and other religious texts.

of course.
as an athiest, I was raised christian
As a christian, I was taught the ten commandments
as an atheist, I still follow most of the ten commandments.
Morality has nothing to do with religion.

Where do you think they got the ten commandments from, amark? C'mon. Be smarter than that. These are simply the morals that were present in that day.

Where do you think they got the ten commandments from, amark? C'mon. Be smarter than that. These are simply the morals that were present in that day.
Some of you will have heard this one.

Moses comes down from the mountain carrying two stone tablets. He addresses the waiting crowd.
"I have some good news for you and some bad news. The good news is that I've talked him down to ten. The bad news is, adultery is still in."

Some of you will have heard this one.

Moses comes down from the mountain carrying two stone tablets. He addresses the waiting crowd.
"I have some good news for you and some bad news. The good news is that I've talked him down to ten. The bad news is, adultery is still in."

Please. That's a fable. So before that, nowhere in human history, did anyone believe murder was wrong? Nobody believed having hot monkey sex with your neighbor's wife or husband was wrong?

No, of course not. We got it all from a pair of stone tablet...:rolleyes:

I'm sorry, I can read your words, but absolutely no cohesive message emerges from them. Do you want to try again?

See, this is what I love about some of you theists...once you get some common sense handed to you, you plug your ears and scream so you can't hear it anymore. That's too funny.

I mean, how was that not clear to you? Oh...I'm sorry, Ophi, do you have a learning disability? Jeez, I'm sorry, I should have thought of that before...

See, this is what I love about some of you theists...once you get some common sense handed to you, you plug your ears and scream so you can't hear it anymore. That's too funny.

I mean, how was that not clear to you? Oh...I'm sorry, Ophi, do you have a learning disability? Jeez, I'm sorry, I should have thought of that before...
I'm not a theist. What gave you that idea.
No, I don't have a learning disability. Are you aware that the primary responsibility for communicating clearly rests with the one communicating.

Perhaps I should have put up a large sign that said

Warning: Approaching Light Hearted Joke
Readers should be aware that this joke is offered as an interlude in an otherwise serious discussion. Attempts to discern ulterior meaning, or assign particular motivation are carried out at the practioner's own risk.

So, again. What were you trying to say, or are you just going to continue being rude for no particular reason? Did I do something to offend you today? Yesterday? Last week? Ever? Or are you just naturally surly?

Back