Cable to the Moon

mars or moon

• Total voters
I do not think he means an Elevator directly to the Moom well at least I hope he does not. What can happen intheroy is a geo sync orbital platform that is attached to the earth it would act like a sattilte but it would be attached to the earth. This as far as I know is only in Science fiction I am not aware of any agency that is looking at this as a viable option for moving things into space.

This as far as I know is only in Science fiction I am not aware of any agency that is looking at this as a viable option for moving things into space.
It's been looked at as a serious project, the conclusion is that it isn't a viable option since we don't have any materials strong enough to do the job.
There are some new materials that might be able to do it, but they're currently far too expensive and available in grossly insufficient quantities.

This as far as I know is only in Science fiction I am not aware of any agency that is looking at this as a viable option for moving things into space.
I think some Japanese agency is looking very seriously at it, in fact.
Just google Japan Space Elevator Agency.

http://www.impactlab.com/2008/09/22...tion-to-draw-up-timetable-for-space-elevator/

And the OP does mean the idea of a cable running from the earth to the moon.
But I guess this thread is in the "pseudo-science" sub-forum, and rightly so.

Any thread specific to a space-elevator to GEO should be in the real science forum, though.

Exactly. While the space elevator currently remains firmly ensconced in the domain of science fiction, there is nothing in science that precludes the concept. A cable that connects the Earth and Moon is a different story.

There are some new materials that might be able to do it, but they're currently far too expensive and available in grossly insufficient quantities.

are you sure? Yesterday you didn't even know what a cable was...

If you ran a cable to the moon...wouldn't it just wrap around the earth as the moon orbited?...and according to "Bugs Bunny" physics, wouldn't it slowly pull the moon in towards the earth...eventually causing a giant "boom"?

If you ran a cable to the moon...wouldn't it just wrap around the earth as the moon orbited?...and according to "Bugs Bunny" physics, wouldn't it slowly pull the moon in towards the earth...eventually causing a giant "boom"?

If a cable was atached to the moon an at earfs equator... the moon coud be pulled into earf in about 10 days dew to earf rotatin on its axis.!!!

Back