Cable to the Moon

mars or moon

• Total voters

mananmater

Registered Member
Take your pick, mars or the moon, one is reachable by cable, the other is another world, and please put an explanation why.

Mod hat.
This thread contains those posts in the Mars or the Moon thread that address the statement "one is reachable by cable". To discuss the main topic of that thread (Mars versus Moon), please go to the original thread, http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?t=98419.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jesus, we couldn't get a cable to geostationary orbit, let alone the Moon. Clearly the noob that wrote that wasn't thinking about orbital mechanics at all.

Anyway, Moon or Mars, ... neither. Manned spaceflight is an expensive folly that serves no purpose.

thank you for your responses, as for the cable comment, I mean't a cable that was atleast made out of 3000 foot thinck spires, all mechanicalized for an elevator, we could do this for up to a 1 million miles, and yes, people thought the same thing about cars, saying that going over a 100 miles an hour would stop the heart, so it's ashame to think that people still think that way and are on this forum...

I mean't a cable that was atleast made out of 3000 foot thinck spires, all mechanicalized for an elevator, we could do this for up to a 1 million miles
And the material would be...?
No we couldn't.
Besides, since the Moon isn't in geosynch orbit, what would the bottom end be attached to?
It would drag round the Earth once a month.

and yes, people thought the same thing about cars, saying that going over a 100 miles an hour would stop the heart
Er, no they didn't. I think you're confusing another comment (and misquoting it to boot).

so it's ashame to think that people still think that way and are on this forum...
It's a shame that people post unsupported nonsense.

Please continue to post, and if your post does not contribute to this topic, please don't post, thankyou.
Yes, I suppose that pointing out your fallacies could be classed as "not contributing".
However this is a science section, not the science fiction sub-forum, so we do like to keep things real. Posting such nonsense as "a cable that was atleast made out of 3000 foot thinck spires, all mechanicalized for an elevator, we could do this for up to a 1 million miles" doesn't even count as good science fiction...

thankyou for your replies, dywyddr do not reply to any more of my post or a moderator will be contacted, you seem no older than 14, please people, stay on subject, I may have to close this post soon.

thankyou for your replies, dywyddr do not reply to any more of my post or a moderator will be contacted
Go ahead.
Your initial (and for that matter, subsequent) post(s) show little understanding of the realities of the question.
I suggest that should you "contact a moderator" it'll be found that you're posting unsupported nonsense and the thread consigned to Pseudoscience or the Cesspool.
If you make assertions (e.g. "we can make a cable a million miles long" or "cable to the moon") it's usually a good idea for that assertion to be factual.
Edit: or at least some basis in reality. We no materials anywhere near strong enough.
From the forum rules:
C. Stating Opinions
If you have an opinion, back it up with evidence, a valid argument and even links and references if possible.
Which you have signally failed to do: all you've done is give an uninformed opinion (and apparently pulled the numbers out of nowhere), and then complained that I'm off-topic for pointing out that you're posting nonsense.

you seem no older than 14
Another example of your poor reasoning skills, you're wrong on that too.

please people, stay on subject, I may have to close this post soon.
And the subject is...?
Your poor science fiction ideas of having a cable to the moon?

thank you for your responses, as for the cable comment, I mean't a cable that was atleast made out of 3000 foot thinck spires, all mechanicalized for an elevator, we could do this for up to a 1 million miles, and yes, people thought the same thing about cars, saying that going over a 100 miles an hour would stop the heart, so it's ashame to think that people still think that way and are on this forum...
3000-ft thick spires?
All current thinking about an elevator has the "thicker" end of the elevator cable at the Geo-synchronous end - and is not 3000-ft.
At earth level you want it as thin as possible - to minimise tension at higher levels.
Also - we've only recently developed materials (carbon nanotubes) that have the properties necessary for this, although such material engineering is still in its infancy.

So while the idea isn't unsound, I think your imagining of what it might look like is a touch awry.
Sure, the anchor point might be in a building 3000-ft wide, but the load-bearing cable won't be that big.

But an organisation in Japan have taken the bold step of announcing their intent to build such an elevator, at a price tag of a mere $5bn.

But it is not a simple undertaking, and possibly easier to get people back on the moon - or even Mars, and develop an SSTO (that imo NASA should have been doing such a long time ago rather than waste resource on the impractical and expensive shuttle).

Time will tell.

Last edited by a moderator:
manameter: Re post #13: This is not your thread to close.

You have a misconception of the concept of a space elevator. The Earth and Moon cannot be connected by a cable. A space elevator would aid anything going into or beyond Earth orbit. There is one slight problem with space elevators: They don't exist (yet). They remain firmly ensconced in the realm of science fiction for now.

Last edited:
Thankyou for your replies, please people, only comment on this topic if you have interest on these subjects, stay on topic, if you have a problem with somebody just comment somewhere else, as for the elevator i was talking about, if we could build something like a ship that would navigate the seas as the moon moved, we wouldn't even need a ship as big as a barge, the elevator would be able to hold 3000 people, or 500 tons, and could travel at up to 2500 miles an hour, if it was magnetic much faster, the cable for the elevator would be pretty strong, and the elevator would probably look like something from the rotodrop at an amusement park, just a cable pole instead of a steel pole, it would be successfully anchored to the moon ofcourse there are many more details to this, so I'm going to leave to you guys figuring out engineering my master piece, if you have a better Ideal plase post, but in the meantime we are getting close to having plasma for rockets, and we can definitely use nuclear fuel for are rockets.

just a cable pole instead of a steel pole, it would be successfully anchored to the moon ofcourse

Hello! The Moon orbits the Earth. It's not fixed in the sky over a point on the surface. How, just how, are you envisaging this cable to be anchored? A giant swivel at one of the poles? :rofl:

Thankyou for your replies, please people, only comment on this topic if you have interest on these subjects, stay on topic, if you have a problem with somebody just comment somewhere else
For your information the comments ARE on-topic. You seem to be under some misapprehension about the Moon, its orbit and the viability of a space elevator. Until this is addressed and corrected your ideas are nonsense.

as for the elevator i was talking about, if we could build something like a ship that would navigate the seas as the moon moved, we wouldn't even need a ship as big as a barge, the elevator would be able to hold 3000 people, or 500 tons, and could travel at up to 2500 miles an hour, if it was magnetic much faster, the cable for the elevator would be pretty strong, and the elevator would probably look like something from the rotodrop at an amusement park, just a cable pole instead of a steel pole, it would be successfully anchored to the moon ofcourse there are many more details to this, so I'm going to leave to you guys figuring out engineering my master piece
It isn't possible so your "engineering masterpiece" might as well be fairies, individually assigned to each traveller. You're obviously largely ignorant of the engineering realities, as well as the orbital realities.

Back