Bush Homophobic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Baron Max said:
It's against the law, that's why! And worse, they're trying to change those laws simple in their own self-interest without regard to the wants and desires of the rest of society.

I want to change the laws so I can marry goats and sheep ....why shouldn't I be allowed to do that?? Hmmm? Why should anyone stand in my way? Why should anyone care whether I marry goats or not?

Baron Max

do you want goats to have the same rights as humans?you are making idiotic parallels where there are none.of course its in their own interest,but if i wasnt such a lazy bastard i would be fighting to change the law.its simply an unfair law,which as far as i can tell is pretty much based on religious principles.just because its the law doesnt make it right,it was against the law for women to vote,for black people to vote,for slaves to run away from their owners,laws aren't decided by a benevolent force they are devised by people who have their own interests at heart.for instance look up why weed was made illeagle.

duendy said:
HAH...what about THEIR wants and desires, dont they count?

Sure they count. But the society has listened and has decided that they don't want to change the laws.

duendy said:
...obviously not to the like of you with your homo-fearfull views, right?

Well, yeah ....I am really scared that if homos are permitted to marry, then I'll be instantly infected with not only HIV, but with strange desires to stick my dick into some guy's asshole! Yeah, that worries the hell outta' me! ...LOL!

>"...i am sure a sheep has probably more insight than you anyway....and a goat."<

Yeah, actually I think they do ...they love me more than I love them! :)

>"...are you daft? be honest now"<

Yes, I am ....because I want to change a law just so it suits me and I don't give a damn what anyone else in society thinks or feels. Yeah, I'm daft.

Baron Max

kenworth said:
do you want goats to have the same rights as humans?

Oh, hell no!! I don't want to give the GOATS any rights!! I want to be able to marry goats and keep them under my thumb and under my control and be able to butt-fuck 'em any time I want to. ...none of this votin' rights for goats, by god!

>"just because its the law doesnt make it right,..."<

Don't make it wrong, either.

>"...it was against the law for women to vote,for black people to vote,for slaves to run away from their owners, ..."<

And some still think that those laws were good laws and should still be in effect. What people think or their opinions isn't necessarily "right" or "wrong" or anything else ....it's just their opinion, that's all it is. It also varies depending on that person's perspective or point of view.

But in the 1860s, some people decided that we should go to war against those who held the above opinions. One side won that war and so won the right to tell the losers what to do and how to think ...and to force their laws onto them. Perhaps thats the best way of doing it, huh?

>"...its simply an unfair law,..."<

There are lots of those ...but just because one law is unfair is no sign that another is unfair.

Its discriminatory to make it illegal for kids under 16 to drive cars, too, but we have that law, don't we?

Its discriminatory to make it illegal for siblings to marry, too, but we have that law, don't we?

It's discriminatory to make it illegal for a father to marry his daughter, too, but we have that law, don't we?

No, don't talk to me about laws being fair or non-discriminatory as tho' the same-sex marriage law is the ONLY one, and therefore it should be changed. If you really give shit about legal laws, then you should also be fighting for the right of siblings to marry and for toddlers to drive 400 hp cars, too.

(Oh, I know ...you're gonna' come up with all kinds of "reasons" why the above are "good" laws, but before you do, think about it some, okay??)

>"...laws aren't decided by a benevolent force they are devised by people who have their own interests at heart."<

Laws are decided by representatives of the people of the society. We voted them into office to represent our interests. And I hope that they still represent the interests of the people ....not just a few homos (or a few people who want to marry goats and sheep!!)

Baron Max

"Don't make it wrong, either."

no it doesnt,that was a totally redundant statement.

"And some still think that those laws were good laws and should still be in effect. What people think or their opinions isn't necessarily "right" or "wrong" or anything else ....it's just their opinion, that's all it is. "

people's opinions arent necessarily right or wrong but forcing them on other people is.

"Its discriminatory to make it illegal for kids under 16 to drive cars, too, but we have that law, don't we?"

WHY DO YOU KEEP TRYING TO DRAW PARALLELS WHERE THERE ARE NONE?!>>!fucking hell,there has to be a cut off age for VERY VERY obvious reasons,if you cant see this you are a retard.

"Its discriminatory to make it illegal for siblings to marry, too, but we have that law, don't we?

It's discriminatory to make it illegal for a father to marry his daughter, too, but we have that law, don't we?"

refer to earlier in the thread.

"No, don't talk to me about laws being fair or non-discriminatory as tho' the same-sex marriage law is the ONLY one, and therefore it should be changed. If you really give shit about legal laws, then you should also be fighting for the right of siblings to marry and for toddlers to drive 400 hp cars, too.

(Oh, I know ...you're gonna' come up with all kinds of "reasons" why the above are "good" laws, but before you do, think about it some, okay??)"

maybe if there was a seperate thread about other laws i would but as this thread is about the subject of gay marraige i thought i should stay on topic,and your comments have absolutely nothing to do with mine.

Mystech said:
Children under a certain age aren’t permitted to drive because as a society we simply do not trust their judgement skills enough to be on the road as soon as they can reach the petals. It’s all fairly simple and practical.

We, the majority of society also believe that homosexuals lack good moral judgement, and have bad judgement skills. They should not be allowed to marry just because they can fuck. It IS all fairly simple and practical.

It's also important to understand that we have no statistics on how long gay relationships last, and whether or not marriage would change that statistic. We don't want to write something into law that could be harmful to the family unit, by making it legal to get married if the divorce rate is going to be significantly higher. We don't know yet, and there is not enough study about the effects on children and the rates of divorce to write something into law that will have to be painfully removed later.

Morality is still important to this country, as shown in the last election. There is nothing you can do about that.

kenworth said:
fucking hell,there has to be a cut off age for VERY VERY obvious reasons,if you cant see this you are a retard.

"VERY, VERY obvious reasons..."? Can you give me one of those reasons for making the age at 16 instead of 15?

Can you give me one of those reasons for making the legal drinking age 21 instead of, say, 18?

And, see, there has to be a cut-off for who can and can't marry also. You want it one way, most people in America want it another way. But you, somehow, can't see that, can you? What's the difference?

And your powers of persuasion leave much to be desired. If you had anything to say after the above statement, implying that I'm a retard, then I didn't read it ....and I daresay that most propably didn't either. So after that, you just wasted your time and effort.

Baron Max

baron put it this way. Some of the states have decided to inact laws that DO alow gay marrage. If those states want that what right has bush to make a "defence of marrage act" that stops them and makes the marrages that were legally performed illegal?

Arditezza said:
We, the majority of society also believe that homosexuals lack good moral judgement, and have bad judgement skills. They should not be allowed to marry just because they can fuck. It IS all fairly simple and practical.

It's also important to understand that we have no statistics on how long gay relationships last, and whether or not marriage would change that statistic. We don't want to write something into law that could be harmful to the family unit, by making it legal to get married if the divorce rate is going to be significantly higher. We don't know yet, and there is not enough study about the effects on children and the rates of divorce to write something into law that will have to be painfully removed later.

Morality is still important to this country, as shown in the last election. There is nothing you can do about that.

I will preface the following comments with this disclamatory statement:

I bear no ill-will toward those who may not share my political opinions. I do not believe that holding a particular belief or ideal as sacred makes me inherently "better" than the other hairless apes in my species. Additionally, I am not so foolish as to believe familial or personal affiliation with a particular sect, religion, race, sorority, book group or fast food punch-card club grants me the magical ability to view those who do not share that affiliation as mentally, socially or morally inferior. If morality does, in fact, matter in this great country of ours, then adherence to that oft-lauded but sorely maligned Golden Rule should be far more prevalent than it seems to be, particularly here.

Ok, sans malificence, I have to say:

1) How could the family unit be harmed by the addition of same-sex marriages to an institution that currently suffers from a 50% failure rate? Even heteros can't seem to get it right more than half the time, so it seems the bar for making things worse is set pretty high. Cast aside notions of morality for a moment, and look at this from a practical standpoint: given the demonstrated failure of this society's members to succeed at it, can one truly regard marriage as so exclusively sacred? By all that is good and holy, a lifetime commitment that has the same chance for success as selecting a given face in a coin toss? I think this "statistic" demonstrates the wide gulf between the perceived value of this act and the casual nature of entrance into it. As for the ability to fuck being the primary prerequisite for marriage, of course it's not. I know a lot of married folks, and believe me - fucking isn't the main attraction there, folks. It's not just the fact that YOU know there's someone waiting for you at the end of the day; someone who cares about your successes or comforts you when you fail; someone who will love you, warts and all, forever. It's the public acknowledgement, the societal blessing, the witness by all that here stand two people who are committed to making their love last, and in the light of that love, contributing to the society to which they belong. Heterosexuals have sexless marriages, childless marriages, even loveless marriages, and while the latter two directly violate certain cherished tenets of particular faiths, no one has swept down and snatched away their right to have them. I believe the crux of this problem stems from the application of religious standards to the civil availability of a ceremony with roots in both arenas, and I think it's high time those who think such a practice is ill-advised become as vocal as those who champion it.

2) Folks on both sides of this issue are guilty of drawing specious, illogical comparisons for the purpose of bolstering their respective arguments (yours truly included, I'm sure, although I did try to limit mine to the coin toss analogy above. ;) ). That said, the fact is that many people will never agree on basic issues like the worth of a human life, the inalieble rights that simple humanity bestows upon a person, or the rights that individual may expect as a member of a free society. The contract a person makes with all the other members of a society is that they will be yoked by the same mutually-agreed upon set of rules (and given wings to fly along the same currents of freedom). If a member of a society (or a group of members) begins to chafe under the yoke all carry, then they are free to work at changing that yoke, either by striving to persuade the other members that their position is valid and striking a new communal agreement, or by rising up and refreshing the roots of that ol' "Tree of Liberty" with the blood of their patriots. Either method is part of the traditions of this free society, although I am inclined to hope the former will be tried before the latter is considered, I understand that frustration and impatience with humanity's natural resistence to change could lead us there. If the members who choose to try and improve their lot and right any imbalances pursue the first option, they should be afforded the chance to do so. This democracy is based on the notion that our government is a microcosm of our society; our leaders are our vicars, sent to give voice to the will of those they represent. In the last election, strong campaigning and high voter turnout demonstrated the will of a very vocal segment of society, and without digressing into a laundry list of how that segment may have been persuaded to use its clout, one sees that the will of (the loudest) people was indeed done.

"So what?" I hear you asking (thanks to the Homeland Security Bug Everyone Act, I literally can hear you. See a doctor about that deviated septum, would you?). My point is, if you don't like the law, or the enforcement thereof, get involved! Yes, I'm a lesbian, and no, I don't like being considered a sinning malcontent in possession of "poor moral judgement," (among God knows what other unsettling traits) but for goodness sake, I can't control people's perceptions of me. I can, however, fight for what I believe in, by taking up the same tools my opposition (or Adversary, if you prefer, har, har, choke, gasp, wheeze) has used to achieve its ends. So much of hatred and dislike is based on ignorance and bigotry, and of course there's no time for any one person to go on a personal proselytizing mission to every other person who disagrees with or irrationally despises them, but if the only way one reaches out to an opponent is with the sword rather than the olive branch, one shouldn't be surprised to see them reply in kind. The ending for that scenario is two bloody folks who still disagree, one dead combatant and a survivor made less by the act of destruction, or, worst of all, two dead combatants. For a country based on the notion of equality, we sure spend a lot of time corralling ourselves into cliques and shoving each other into the boxes where we think they belong. Forget moral arguments, forget the maddeningly intricate semantic aerobics that focus so much on definition while ignoring meaning...those of us who are Americans are all equal in the fact that we are AMERICANS, and afforded the chance to change our situation if we take advantage of our freedom (and accept the weight of that heavy but empowering yoke).

To wit, the millions of folks who share my opinions are currently experiencing a case of some pretty sour grapes, and it's up to us to decide if we want to let those who are currently enjoying the sunny fruits of their labor pick the wine list, or use the freedoms we DO enjoy to give ourselves a stab at the position of sommolier. Yes, it'll be hard work, and no, it won't all be fun and celebrity-hosted warchest fundraisers, but if we do manage to affect the change we wish to see, then I can only hope our success will be greeted as respectfully by those who would see us fail in our aim. No, GLBT folk don't "deserve" to have anything handed to them anymore than, say, members of a certain tax bracket "deserve" the financial benificence of their duly elected representatives; but if we participate as active and vocal citizens, then the rewards we reap will be well worth the effort we have sown. To deny us this opportunity would be truly immoral (as in "base and unpatriotic," naturally. :D ).

Last edited:
I don’t know if Bush is a homophobe, whatever that means, but what I do know is that if a faggot wants to stick another guy’s cock in his rectum he has the right to do so.

I wouldn’t slobber over some mans meat and gulp down his warm, creamy semen, that leave a slight aftertaste of his last lunch in my mouth, but that doesn’t mean I would disallow anyone else from enjoying this rare and forbidden fruit.

I would think that if Bush knew what real love was and had experienced the soft caresses of a mans chest hair against his face or if he had ever squeezed the firm, muscular buttocks of a strong, well hung man he wouldn’t be so quick to pass judgment.

I, personally, find the entire practice of gay love a little disgusting and the thought of a hard cock, relentlessly pounding the shit out of someone’s ass leaves me a little confused, but I think that if a fudge-packer defines love in this way he should be offered whatever rights are allotted to everyone else.

Furthermore I believe the entire concept of sexuality and love should be broadened so as to include all forms of it.
I can’t see why if someone wishes to donate his cadaver to a loved one, so that he may use it as a fuck-toy, that this person should feel shame or that he should be discriminated against.

Also it’s a little ironic that we allow animals to be used for medical experimentation but we feel dismay when they are used for sexual experimentation.
If some woman enjoys the feeling of her St. Bernard humping her ass and filling her cavity with pleasure, then she should be allowed to perform whatever act of love she wishes with her pet.

If no damage is done and the pet enjoys the experience I see no reason to criminalize interspecies sexual encounters.

Tezcatlipoca's Hat said:
As for the ability to fuck being the primary prerequisite for marriage, of course it's not. I know a lot of married folks, and believe me - fucking isn't the main attraction there, folks. It's not just the fact that YOU know there's someone waiting for you at the end of the day; someone who cares about your successes or comforts you when you fail; someone who will love you, warts and all, forever. It's the public acknowledgement, the societal blessing, the witness by all that here stand two people who are committed to making their love last, and in the light of that love, contributing to the society to which they belong. Heterosexuals have sexless marriages, childless marriages, even loveless marriages, and while the latter two directly violate certain cherished tenets of particular faiths, no one has swept down and snatched away their right to have them. I believe the crux of this problem stems from the application of religious standards to the civil availability of a ceremony with roots in both arenas, and I think it's high time those who think such a practice is ill-advised become as vocal as those who champion it.

No. The primary reason for marriage, is to form a family unit. A unit which breeds to further our population and society. Gays cannot, without outside help, form a family unit. They can form a couple, which they can do without marriage as well. They can still be there for you when you come home at night, care for each others successes and comforts your failures. Marriage does not alter that in any way. You can do all those things without it. However, if it's society's blessing that you need, then you have deeper issues than love. If you are hindered by society in loving one another, I think you don't have a clue as to what love really is. So what is the reason again that you feel the need to champion marriage for gays?

And, I also do not believe that people unable to reproduce should be getting "help" to reproduce either. There is a good solid reason that science isn't allowing you to reproduce, you should listen to it. That goes for both infertile people, and homosexuals.

I am married, and I have two children. I married to have a family and children, and have been successful in my endevor. I am also an atheist, extremely open-minded and independant. I am not a feminist because I find them also to be too extreme. We are already equal, we just need to believe that. Just like gays, we have earned our equality and now just have to be comfortable in the way that it unfolds. You already are equal, and a piece of paper explaining that you now have the right to marry isn't going to change that. I have not heard a good solid argument for allowing gays to marry yet. But I am still listening.

No state other than Hawaii has legal marriages between homosexuals, but several states recognize a civil union between two gay people. In almost every state, you can have them on your insurance as well even if you are not married. Just clearing up the poster that say several states allow gay marriage by law.

People are recognizing that gays exist, and are tolerating the behavior. But we do not need to put our seal of approval on it since we feel that it is immoral. Do what you want, but don't shove your morality down our throats. We aren't asking you to change your sex life to validate and suit our morals, why are you trying to get us to pass laws to validate your morals? It's well and good that you are gay, but don't force me to approve of it. You will never get majority vote if you go about looking to turn the tables on society. You must convince society that the tables themselves don't exist, and actually form a platform to stand on other than, "Well they can do it, why can't we?!?".

Arditezza said:
The primary reason for marriage, is to form a family unit. A unit which breeds to further our population and society.

So you don't think people should be allowed to marry if they're not having biological children, either because of infertility or because they choose not to? And our population and society are abundant enough as is, by the way.

[QUOTE[However, if it's society's blessing that you need, then you have deeper issues than love. If you are hindered by society in loving one another, I think you don't have a clue as to what love really is.[/QUOTE]

I don't think it's society's blessing they want, it's legal rights as a married couple. Some also want religious blessings, but if it's their religion why shouldn't they want that? I may put no religious significance on marriage, but that doesn't mean I think poorly of people who want to get married in a church by a priest.

So what is the reason again that you feel the need to champion marriage for gays?

Oh, I don't know, something about believing in equality, thinking it's wrong to discriminate against people for not being attracted to the people you think they should be attracted to, all that stuff.

And, I also do not believe that people unable to reproduce should be getting "help" to reproduce either. There is a good solid reason that science isn't allowing you to reproduce, you should listen to it.

Maybe that reason is so that, unable to have your own children, you'll adopt children who need homes? I agree that infertile couple using fertility drugs and things such as that doesn't make sense, since there are children available for the adopting, and I'd really rather not see the planet overpopulated until we destroy all other life and then starve to death. But if people want to adopt children, I very much support their decision... and that can be a bit of complication for gay couples, who aren't actually married and therefore can't both legally be parents of a child.

You already are equal, and a piece of paper explaining that you now have the right to marry isn't going to change that.

Of course they're equal. But they don't have equal rights. That's the problem.

I have not heard a good solid argument for allowing gays to marry yet.

That's because morality isn't really a 'solid' thing. Legality is, but of course that depends upon someone caring about their rights, which is back to morality.

We aren't asking you to change your sex life to validate and suit our morals, why are you trying to get us to pass laws to validate your morals?

You're asking them to not have equal rights, which is suiting your morals.

Beryl said:
I don't think it's society's blessing they want, it's legal rights as a married couple.

But they can't have that because they are NOT eligible! They don't qualify by law! It's not different to a 14-yr old WANTING his "rights" to drive a car ...hey, I'm sorry, you can't because you are NOT eligible according to the law. What's so difficult to understand about that ....in both instances?!

What "legal rights" are they going to want next? Perhaps the legal right to call themselves surgeons? Or architects? Or submarine captains? If they ain't eligible for those "rights", then they shouldn't have them handed to 'em just cause they whine and cry and piss and moan.

Beryl said:
...thinking it's wrong to discriminate against people...

Our society discriminates against many people with legal laws. Driving laws, drinking laws, men's/women's public toilets, ...god, the list goes on and on. I'm sorry, that's just life in our society and most of us don't want to allow gays and lezzies to marry. Tough shit!

Some of us have morals ....some of us don't. But it ain't all about morality, it's about changing laws to suit one particular group of people ...I don't like that. And I'll vote against any bill that supports same-sex marriage or anything else that gives gays and lezzies special consideration just cause they like fucking members of their own gender!

Baron Max

Baron Max said:
But they can't have that because they are NOT eligible! They don't qualify by law! It's not different to a 14-yr old WANTING his "rights" to drive a car ...hey, I'm sorry, you can't because you are NOT eligible according to the law.

And women aren't eligible by law to vote, and a black person isn't eligible by law to marry a white person, and...

Oh, wait, we changed those laws!

Our society discriminates against many people with legal laws. Driving laws, drinking laws, men's/women's public toilets, ...god, the list goes on and on.

1. So because discrimination exists, it should be encouraged?
2. Driving laws are either in regards to children (and I'm not even going to go into why not allowing minors to do things isn't discrimination again, since you obviously don't grasp it), or in regards to people who physically can't drive, at least without crashing into things. Other than that just about everyone is free to get a driver's license if they so choose... and since driving a car is basically wielding a deadly weapon, I think it make sense to make sure people know what they're doing before they can do it.
3. Drinking laws are also a matter of under-agedness, and therefore I shan't go into it.
4. Men's and women's toilets probably shouldn't be seperate, but they (usually) are and not a lot of people complain about it. Who knows, maybe that'll be the next civil rights issue. Anyhow, it isn't exactly deliberate descrimination, since not many people have raised the issue. But you're absolutely right, for those people who want to be able to pee in the same toilet as complete strangers of the opposite sex, it is completely unfair.

And I'll vote against any bill that supports same-sex marriage or anything else that gives gays and lezzies special consideration just cause they like fucking members of their own gender!

Wow, that declaration came as a total surprise! You're against gay marriage? I never would have guessed! (And by the way, it isn't special consideration, it's equal consideration.)

I know I said I was never coming back to any gay marriage thread, but it's been long enought to just say one more thing. . .
Addicted Archer said:
bush is outlawing same sex marriages. i mean i'm not gay, but i do believe in equality, and what is this so called land of the free, if you can't marry who you want? isn't marriage the bond between two people who love eachother? yet because of one man being homophobic, the whole gay society in america cannot bond together. what kind of shit is that?
Equality. Okay, if you like equality so much, why don't you protest men's basketball teams? Or whine "Oh, George bush - that EVIL christian - isn't letting a man on the WNBA. How intolerant of him!"

It's just a simple fact of society that some things have to be restricted to certain gorups of people - marriage included.

I hope this analogy of the basketball teams isn't going to offend everyone who supposiedly tolerates dissent (but really doesn't). My old analogies were met with harsh criticism to my person.

What's next? You will say (in a whiny tone of voice), "Why only let people who are drug-free be employed? Why are we so intolerant to the drug-users among us? After all, employment is just about money, so why not be able to be employed anywhere you want?"

Because your employer sets the rules. Just as George Bush sets the rules.

Anyone with any sense of logic and reasoning should see the parallel between this and the pro-gay-marriage argument, and see that it is silly. Notice I said PARALLEL, not DIRECT COMPARISON. In previous threads, people such as Athelwulf and tiassa accused me of literally saying that gays are TV sets! How absurd! I hope they've come to their senses. But alas, I probably will never know, since I rarely even read these gay marriage threads.

So George Bush outlawed gay marriage. It's nice to see he is actually doing something, and not caving in to the leftists, and not apoligizing for "insensitivity". Good for him!
DEAL WITH IT. :mad:

Arditezza said:
I have not heard a good solid argument for allowing gays to marry yet. But I am still listening.
Take my advice and stop listening RIGHT NOW. You will only get the same old crap over and over again. I speak from experience. You will never hear a good solid argument.

In fact, everyone here who takes the side of traditional marriage, follow my lead and boycott these gay marriage threads. That should give them a chance to reconsider, while they have no one to argue with. It might also cause a decrease in the number of threads like this, and raise the overall quality of sciforums as a whole.

It would be nice for people to do this with me, but I will do it alone, as I have been, if no one else wants to.

hah, so what are you DOING here then? are you magentized to 'these kinda threads' or what? whay dont you paractice what you preach if they offend your views so much

i am Gay, and i dont partucularly wanna marry, but i dont see why people like yourselves should be able yo make and back up laws that discriminate same sex marriage. just cause you hate homosexual love. i find THAt really sad. THAt is hate. THAt is discrimination. Gay marriage doesn't do harm. it is people like you who cause hatred and division in society who are the real harm doers.

If law is a complete ASs it is an ass. see it! i know i do, and that's why such laws as that need challenging by INTELLIGENT people

I've attended plenty of commitment ceremonies in a church to prove to you that religious blessings are given to a gay couple often. So there goes that part of your argument. I also love to see two people in love. Any two people, either gay or straight. But marriage doesn't change that.

They have legal rights as a couple, just as common law spouses have rights. They can take them to court, just as in a divorce and get half of their life together. There are plenty of cases where just that has happened. And marriage does not change that.

As for adoption, the Supreme Court has found a ban on adoptions by gay couples unconstitutional. So, they can also adopt if they apply to adopt just like every other couple. Lots of unmarried couples adopt children, and I applaud that. I am adopted myself, and currently there are over 350,000 children in homes and orphanages waiting for two people to love them. And marriage doesn't change that.

As I said before, you can also put a significant other on your insurance in most places. I know that some places that it isn't available, but it's the insurance companies that are reluctant to change those things. But it's changing rapidly. Nothing the law can do about that. So marriage doesn't change that either.

Marriage was created to propogate a bloodline. Romantics turned it into something different. But history will tell you that it was intended so that family trees were traceable and so that bloodlines would remain pure to their roots. Arranged marriages were the most common type of marriage, and love had very little to do with it. Do I think that marriage is some magical thing that will save my relationship from failing or succeeding? No. And to tell you the truth, I wouldn't have gotten married at all if it wasn't for my grandmothers wishes that I do so before I began having children so we could carry on the family name.

Marriage is such a romantic notion that deserves no such fanfare. It's archaic, and more of a documentary piece than it is a commitment or a promise. Married couples cheat on each other all the time, lie to each other and divorce. That's pretty normal. But the intention of the marriage still works. Children still recieve their fathers name and genes and their mothers genes, and therefore their place in the bloodline whether or not the marriage works out in the end. This is the cold reality of marriage.

The only thing that marriage grants you in this country, is the right to claim each other on tax returns. So marriage only grants you monetary benefits. And if that's what this is all about, then that's the dumbest assertion of equal rights i have ever witnessed.

Whewee, that's good debatin'!

Arditezza said:
No. The primary reason for marriage, is to form a family unit. A unit which breeds to further our population and society. Gays cannot, without outside help, form a family unit. They can form a couple, which they can do without marriage as well. They can still be there for you when you come home at night, care for each others successes and comforts your failures. Marriage does not alter that in any way. You can do all those things without it. However, if it's society's blessing that you need, then you have deeper issues than love. If you are hindered by society in loving one another, I think you don't have a clue as to what love really is. So what is the reason again that you feel the need to champion marriage for gays?

And, I also do not believe that people unable to reproduce should be getting "help" to reproduce either. There is a good solid reason that science isn't allowing you to reproduce, you should listen to it. That goes for both infertile people, and homosexuals.

I am married, and I have two children. I married to have a family and children, and have been successful in my endevor. I am also an atheist, extremely open-minded and independant. I am not a feminist because I find them also to be too extreme. We are already equal, we just need to believe that. Just like gays, we have earned our equality and now just have to be comfortable in the way that it unfolds. You already are equal, and a piece of paper explaining that you now have the right to marry isn't going to change that. I have not heard a good solid argument for allowing gays to marry yet. But I am still listening.

No state other than Hawaii has legal marriages between homosexuals, but several states recognize a civil union between two gay people. In almost every state, you can have them on your insurance as well even if you are not married. Just clearing up the poster that say several states allow gay marriage by law.

People are recognizing that gays exist, and are tolerating the behavior. But we do not need to put our seal of approval on it since we feel that it is immoral. Do what you want, but don't shove your morality down our throats. We aren't asking you to change your sex life to validate and suit our morals, why are you trying to get us to pass laws to validate your morals? It's well and good that you are gay, but don't force me to approve of it. You will never get majority vote if you go about looking to turn the tables on society. You must convince society that the tables themselves don't exist, and actually form a platform to stand on other than, "Well they can do it, why can't we?!?".

Arditezza, in the course of our discussion here, I have come to appreciate and respect your position, and hope you feel the same about mine. I'm always impressed when someone is able to juggle a marriage, a career and kids, and I would never minimize or belittle that person's very important role in our society. I'm further impressed when I'm able to have a debate (and not a spittle-flecked, flame-riddled argument) with someone on an important issue like this one. I appreciate your willingness to listen and assure you that I am listening as well. I've reached a point in my life where "agreeing to disagree" seems facile and lazy rather than wise, and having opportunities to hash these things out in a civil (albeit spirited) fashion is fantastic!

I do not require society's seal of approval to love anyone, nor do I feel driven to curry their favor. However, this does not mean I will silently acquiesce to their opprobrium (silent or otherwise). To me, a marriage license is not a permission slip; if anything, it's a hall pass:

"Hello, fellow American! I realize your set of beliefs and values is in sharp contrast to my own in some ways, but please recognize that this difference is merely a difference and not (at least in the eyes of the law) carte blanche to judge me as a wrongheaded inferior! Thanks!"

For goodness sake, one can command a powerful and thorough knowledge of topics such as physics or linguistics without obtaining a degree of any kind in them, but if one would like to pursue a career in those fields, one may find such a "piece of paper" helpful. Similarly, if one wishes to protect their family (and many types of family exist; there's the family into which one is born, and family that one gathers as one goes through life, which as an adoptee, I'm sure you recognize), distribute property, share responsibility for adopted children, and, yes, navigate the mundane financial and material concerns that crop up when people decide to share their lives, then having that little piece of paper is a great and deserved thing. Yes, myriad legal options exist to cobble together a simulacrum of the benefits marriage bestows, but due to its patchwork nature, such a "straw" union is susceptible to manipulation or even disregard by our legal system. Many are the tales of heartbreak and despair resulting from such disregard, particularly when the same family that has disowned a partner for decades suddenly appears with a flutter of gorecrow wings to snatch away not only the monetary inheritence, but the sentimental treasures of a life spent with one's love.

Obviously, the law has applied this same disregard to heterosexual couples (Anna Nicole Smith, anyone?), but GLBT folks are more susceptible in light of their status.

It's not validation we're seeking (you are right, of course, in your assertion that we are already inherently equal, and I thank you for your candor), but recognition of that validity in the legal sense.

Many people have conjured the ghosts of past civil rights struggles to underline their position on this issue, and with good reason. The battles for suffrage and against disenfranchisement, segregation and bigotry have much in common with the struggle of the GBLT movement; those who fought to improve the lot of women and minorities faced similar opposition to that faced by us today. Absent a religious dogma, morality is, by definition, a set of established guidelines and concepts concerning correct and incorrect behavior based on communally agreed standards. In this country's past, the prevailing opinion was that women could not be trusted with the vote, did not belong in the workplace, and were inherently inferior to men. Most folks now regard this as malarkey (and rightly so), but would this be the case if the early women's rights leaders had caved to the disapproval of their opposition? I think not. To cite another example, what about historic persecution of Christians? (Lest you think me a dullard, I realize you are an athiest, but I'm making this point from an historical perspective) The Romans drove them into the sewers with their relentless need to stomp them out (although, as it turns out, they should have been more worried about their lead plumbing than the tormented Christians huddled in the catacombs :rolleyes: ), but they persevered. Being a Christian went against quite a few very cherished Roman notions: polytheism, deification of the emperor (although that seems to be making a comeback ;) ), loving one's enemy rather than enslaving him, et hoc genus omne. Talk about immoral! Now, the Christians were "tolerated" (despite their immoral behavior) by some, but most "right-thinking" folks considered them an oddity, a sect of peaceniks bowing to the Son of the desert God of the Jews, and a lot of people wanted them scoured from the empire before they started corrupting the kids with their wacky ways. The centuries between then and now have created a world where Christianity has flourished, and Rome declined. Rather than seeking to "overcome," Christians have stoically endured (although they did eventually learn to pick up the sword), which is the point I am trying to make with this long-winded tale. Civil rights gains have come at the expense of both revolt and patient effort.

Minds change. Values change. Our understanding of what it means to be a human being, and our obligations and inaliable rights as such, undergoes evolution. Hundreds of years ago, my ancestors were feeding the hearts of their enemies to the sun so that the maize would grow tall and strong in his light. Less than two hundred years ago, it was perfectly "right" to buy and sell human beings in the streets of our cities, and unthinkable to propose that these beasts of burden deserved basic human respect, let alone civil niceties such as marriage or the vote. I cannot speak to the future; I will not offer conjecture on such slippery-slope fantasies as toddlers driving tanks on the expressway or llamas marrying marmosets at the local McTemple. All I can do is point to the past and say "Look. More importantly, see. When people who are different from whatever society has capriciously decreed to be "normal" suffer for it, they will strive to better their situation. With hard work, luck and perseverence, things not only can change, but will."

I would never be so foolish as to try to "turn the tables," because we're all standing on the same table, and I don't fancy six weeks in traction. Even if I disagree with another American, we're still part of the same "family," if you will. What's bad for me is certainly bad for them as well, even if it's not immediately apparent. To paraphrase the quote, we must all hang together, or we will certainly hang separately.

The platform on which I stand is this: as a human being, I am free to live and love as I will. As a woman, I am free to reproduce (or adopt, of course) or not as I see fit. As an American, I am free to pursue my happiness. I'm not guaranteed that happiness, of course, but I am guaranteed the pursuit of it. It's never been about "You can do it, so why can't we?" - it's about "Your right to pursue your happiness finds its logical end at the point at which it impedes my ability to do the same." Legislation is the loom we use to weave our disparate opinions into a tapestry of morality that applies to all; as I've said elsewhere, there will always be issues that create disagreement, but our society gives us the option of foregoing the changing of other people's opinions by changing the law. Currently, it's illegal for GLBT people to gain the benefits of marriage I outlined above; part of pursuing happiness is, for me, changing that. I don't want to change the way anyone else thinks, or dictate their behavior with regard to marriage. Just as there's no guarantee of happiness, there's no guarantee of "nothing will ever happen to challenge my view of a long-established tradition." Getting that "piece of paper" isn't a tool for castigating those who disagree with me; I don't want a rider to the law that says "now all people who disagree with her position on gay marriage will be lined up and mooned by Dennis Franz."

What I DO want is the right to fully participate as a citizen of my beloved country, and not be forced to create a mishmash equivalent because those who disagree with who and what I am have declared that only their side is good (or "right," or valid, or virtuous, or "God-tested, Mother approved," or what have you). Morality notwithstanding, the presumption that one's stance on a given issue is not only a superior, but the only acceptable, stance, is, at a minimum, unthinkingly arrogant. I do not strive to overturn the apple cart - I just want Granny Smith vendors to have the same vendor's rights as those selling Jonagolds (or, in some cases, crabapples. :) ).

Last edited:
Marriage, changes no happiness factor. That's my point. You are free to do everything that a married couple does, except claim each other on taxes. You are free to reproduce, or adopt and you are free not to. You are free to love, and you are free not to. You are free to copulate with whom ever you choose, and you are free to abstain. You are already free to do whatever it is you choose, except claim each other on a tax return. You are not barred from any type of employment, or from any social program with the exception of the IRS and claiming exemptions. In any federal program, you are not discriminated against. The court also sees homosexual partners as a valid couple, and recognizes their needs and situations. My cousin even got treatment at a fertility clinic, funded by her partners insurance company so that the two of them could have a child as a gay couple unable to reproduce on their own. I see so much equality in this situation, and I see laws and societal values changing all over the place for that reason. However, the fact still remains that marriage is nothing more than a way to trace a bloodline, and a tax write-off. And you cannot scientifically propogate a bloodline (i.e. you can not both share your genes with an offspring as a homosexual couple) so that leaves the simple fact of a tax write-off. A marriage license is not going to change your rights as a citizen in any way other than taxes. It's silly in my opinion to entertain the thought that it might.

Baron Max said:
And your powers of persuasion leave much to be desired. If you had anything to say after the above statement, implying that I'm a retard, then I didn't read it ....and I daresay that most propably didn't either. So after that, you just wasted your time and effort.

Baron Max

i called you a retard because you are very frustrating to argue with as you insist on drawing parallels where there are none to be drawn,im done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back