Bullfighting...a little payback

Scoooooooore!

Score one for the bulls.

I remember when I was a kid, I saw a photo of a bullfighter who got it in the thigh and groin. I don't remember that he took it in the jewels, but I couldn't help but cheer for the bull even then.

And, given that this is one of the risks of the game, I'm hard-pressed at the moment to come up with something with, "Well, what did he expect?"

Just wondering, has anyone out there actually been to a live bullfight and if so what did you make of it? I can't figure what the appeal is, other than taking some strange joy in watching an animal tortured?

Just wondering, has anyone out there actually been to a live bullfight and if so what did you make of it? I can't figure what the appeal is, other than taking some strange joy in watching an animal tortured?

I still takes some balls to do it, so weather you agree with it is a separate issue fromthat. Its not for me, but since you asked....

I have, but not a "traditional" bullfight. It was in the South of France and there were no swords or pointy sticks involved whatsoever.
Admittedly the bull got frustrated but it was the bull and 2 (? IIRC) guys just chasing each other/ being chased round the ring.
Less cruel and rather more fair...

The bull should have finished him off. I hope the bull did some lasting damage at least.

Bullfighting is based on such risk. It's not a surprise, nor is it rare - it's central to the meaning of the event.

You guys seem to think the people who fight bulls do so with some kind of expectation of their own safety. That is a bit strange, as an assumption. Why would you regard a bull goring a bullfighter as "payback"? It's part of the ritual.

Bullfighting is based on such risk. It's not a surprise, nor is it rare - it's central to the meaning of the event.

You guys seem to think the people who fight bulls do so with some kind of expectation of their own safety. That is a bit strange, as an assumption. Why would you regard a bull goring a bullfighter as "payback"? It's part of the ritual.
I am sure they know the risks, however they are participating in a sport that glorifies them at the expense of the bulls suffering and deaths. So it is payback for that when a bull gets one of them.

The best I've seen however, is when the bull managed to get in the audiance. That was real payback.

Come here to enjoy watching me die? Big mistake.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvyeU-BU0BU

doreen said:
I am sure they know the risks, however they are participating in a sport that glorifies them at the expense of the bulls suffering and deaths. So it is payback for that when a bull gets one of them.
I still think that's a basic incomprehension of the ritual;

even of the Spanish bullfight, which was not the context of the OP, in which the bull does suffer and die. There are many forms of bullfighting in which the bull does not - at least, not in the arena.

Bullfight fans talk about something similar to the glorification of the bull - some matadors are better at that than others.

Because it's satisfying to see the prick get gored.
It's payback in our own minds, the bull, of course, is just trying to kill it's tormentor.

Ahh! The Bullfight, the glorious contest that pits Man to Bull or Bull to mandible as the case may be.

I have, but not a "traditional" bullfight. It was in the South of France and there were no swords or pointy sticks involved whatsoever.
Admittedly the bull got frustrated but it was the bull and 2 (? IIRC) guys just chasing each other/ being chased round the ring.
Less cruel and rather more fair...

In that version don't they try and snatch ribbons from the bull's horns, while being completely unarmed?

I don't have much of a problem with that, the bull might get a bit peeved, but it's in no danger.

Been worrying the matter, and came up with:

Staying with the Spanish bullfight, not the OP, for a minute: To bullfight fans, it's not the matador being glorified at the expense of the bull. It's the death of the bull being glorified - made tragic or meaningful - at the expense of the matador.

The entire "payback" notion is off kilter, uncomprehending, from that pov. It's a bit as if someone were to view a Christmas tree falling on the tree-cutter's child as "payback" - not an exact analogy, but in the neighborhood.

In that version don't they try and snatch ribbons from the bull's horns, while being completely unarmed?

I don't have much of a problem with that, the bull might get a bit peeved, but it's in no danger.

Fine with me.

It's the version where they stick sharp things in the animal's body I have a lil issue with.

Been worrying the matter, and came up with:

Staying with the Spanish bullfight, not the OP, for a minute: To bullfight fans, it's not the matador being glorified at the expense of the bull. It's the death of the bull being glorified - made tragic or meaningful - at the expense of the matador.

The entire "payback" notion is off kilter, uncomprehending, from that pov. It's a bit as if someone were to view a Christmas tree falling on the tree-cutter's child as "payback" - not an exact analogy, but in the neighborhood.
You can try to disguise it with words anyway you want, it's still horrible animal abuse.

I'm no sadist but i do like seeing bullfighters get whats coming to them. In this case a bull haha.

I still takes some balls to do it, so weather you agree with it is a separate issue fromthat. Its not for me, but since you asked....
Bullring poker has the danger aspect without the animal abuse aspect. Its funny too. The first time I saw bullfighting was on TV in Spain and it was a sad sight seeing the bulls gradually get weaker and weaker and eventually die after being stabbed over 30 times. How the hell can the crowd cheer on the bullfighter for that. I wonder how people would react if the bullfighter gets mangled and you stand up and start cheering on the bull haha :D.

Last edited:
Back