Buddhism

For the sake of clarity ...

samsara: Transmigration; the round of death and rebirth. See vatta. [MORE]

nibbana (Skt. nirvana): Liberation; literally, the "unbinding" of the mind from the mental effluents (see asava), defilements (see kilesa), and the round of rebirth (see vatta), and from all that can be described or defined. As this term also denotes the extinguishing of a fire, it carries the connotations of stilling, cooling, and peace. (According to the physics taught at the time of the Buddha, a burning fire seizes or adheres to its fuel; when extinguished, it is unbound.) "Total nibbana" in some contexts denotes the experience of Awakening; in others, the final passing away of an arahant. [MORE]

Source: Access to Insight: A Glossary of Pali and Buddist Terms

See also: The Wheel Of Birth and Death

Okay, as I understand it, Nirvana is simply liberation from suffering. One can attain Nirvana in one's lifetime if one releases all attachments to desire and the self. Some attempt to attain Nirvana for themselves, while others (bodhisattvas) dedicate their time to helping others attain Nirvana. Did I get it?

Jade Squirrel,

I would say - yup you got it. :)

I think this pertains to it as well:

"If you want to perceive and understand objectively, just don't allow yourself to be confused by people. Detach from whatever you find inside or outside yourself---detach from religion, tradition, and society, and only then will you attain liberation. When you are not entangled in things, you pass through freely to autonomy." -Zen Master Linji, Zen Essence

Back