Brother as Son

Would the situation feel any different if the frozen embryo was a sibling, but not an identical twin?

Bells to be perfectly honest this is no different to cloning but without the genetic problems with an engerneared clone

I don't know if that's a good riposte, Asguard.
It's not like there are no ethical issues with cloning!

Pete most of the ethical issues around cloning have to do with the dangors of genetic defects (like dolly the sheep) and the fact that the child tends to be the age of the orgional DNA rather than the birth age.

If the embro has split already then those cease to be issues.

To be honest i think bells and tiassa are thinking about this like incest rather than just giving a child to there kids (the way a surogate would). The fact that its a clone of the father makes no difference to the fact that he IS the father because he cares for and rasies the child. The same goes for the mother, she is the childs mother because she cares for the child. Where the biology comes from really doesnt matter any more than it matters for sperm and egg donation.

Well, no. I don't see anything wrong with that.

What's to explain to the child?
"We have the same genes, son."
"What's that mean, Dad?"
"It means we look the same."
"Yay!"

Why would it be any different with a daughter?

People are allowed to give birth to their own children, for goodness sake... so why not their siblings?

I know this might feel wrong, but can you pinpoint anything actually wrong?

:bugeye:

If something feels wrong, then doesn't that tell you that it might just be wrong?

Giving birth to one's own child is not the same as giving birth to one's own biological sibling. What's next? Giving birth to a parent's identical twin or sibling?

What could be wrong with this.. Lets see.. If the son has a genetic illness for example? Would the second twin have the same rights over his biological parents' estate is another? What if the child decides he wants to get to know his biological parents or the donors? Since this is obviously one that involves family members, how comfortable would the son feel about his son recognising that his grandparents are his biological parents? Shall I go on? What if the son falls ill and is in need of a kidney transplant for example? Should his son (his identical twin or sibling) feel pressured or obligated to donate a kidney due to the fact that he is his father's brother? And that's just for starters.

Roman said:
Bells, you're just going off feelings.
Maybe I am.

Asguard said:
To be honest i think bells and tiassa are thinking about this like incest rather than just giving a child to there kids (the way a surogate would). The fact that its a clone of the father makes no difference to the fact that he IS the father because he cares for and rasies the child. The same goes for the mother, she is the childs mother because she cares for the child. Where the biology comes from really doesnt matter any more than it matters for sperm and egg donation.
Incest? No.

Wrong? Yes. I don't know about Tiassa, but personally, this is highly unethical. Yes, I am not discounting that the father would view the child as his son instead of his twin or sibling. Same goes for the mother. But this can be taken further. What of the mother in this relationship?

Let me give you an example.. Lets imagine the same scenario as the one posted by Orleander with a twist. Lets imagine the son dies and the wife, having missed out on the chance to have a child with him, asks if she can be the mother of her dead husband's frozen twin or sibling embryo? Should she be allowed to? Lets say she missed her husband so she wants to give birth to his twin or sibling? Yes? No?

well legally an embrio belongs to the two people who created it (as shown in the recent case of a women trying to use her dead husband's and her frozen embro's after his death) so legally its the sons mother and father who would have to concent. Wether they chose to or not is up to them.

Bells, are you dictating to women what they can and cannot do with their bodies?

No.

Asguard said:
well legally an embrio belongs to the two people who created it (as shown in the recent case of a women trying to use her dead husband's and her frozen embro's after his death) so legally its the sons mother and father who would have to concent. Wether they chose to or not is up to them.
So you're telling me there is nothing wrong or, for lack of a better term, fucked up, with letting the widow of one twin carry the frozen embryo of the surviving twin because she misses her husband?

If something feels wrong, then doesn't that tell you that it might just be wrong?
Yes, but it's not sufficient on its own. Feelings aren't always reliable.

Giving birth to one's own child is not the same as giving birth to one's own biological sibling. What's next? Giving birth to a parent's identical twin or sibling?
How about giving birth to an unrelated baby?

What could be wrong with this.. Lets see.. If the son has a genetic illness for example?
A known genetic illness? Then it would be a bad idea.

Would the second twin have the same rights over his biological parents' estate is another?
No, just as the child conceived with donor sperm or egg has no claim on the donor's estate.

What if the child decides he wants to get to know his biological parents or the donors?
That's not a problem in this case is it? They won't be hard to find!

Since this is obviously one that involves family members, how comfortable would the son feel about his son recognising that his grandparents are his biological parents?
That sounds like the "yuck" factor again. Why should it be uncomfortable?
If he's not comfortable with it, he wouldn't let it happen.

What if the son falls ill and is in need of a kidney transplant for example? Should his son (his identical twin or sibling) feel pressured or obligated to donate a kidney due to the fact that he is his father's brother?
That's a separate issue (as long as the child isn't being specifically produced to be an organ donor.) Should any compatible donor feel pressured to donate? No, they should not.

I just don't see this case as significantly different to bearing a conceived by donor egg and sperm. There are ethical issues with any form of IVF- but I don't think that this case has any extra. Less, if anything, since the donors are not strangers.

I can hear it now "Wow, he looks just like his father!" But I don't see any issues with it.

bells no i dont really see that i have the right to judge it. I personally wouldnt donate sperm for my brother but there are people who would so what?

As long as a child is going into a loving family and wont have physical harm because of it i dont belive anyone should judge

This makes me think of a scenario i recently encountered. My half brother and his partner want a child. She's tried IVF many times to no avail. I offered them my womb to bake their little cookie in. Is that unethical because I'll essentially be having my brother's child. Cool, how redneck.

This is just weird. I think given that the whole scenario is a little strange I don't have a totally considered opinion. I would have though that freezing an embryo and implanting it in your daughter in law would be too outrageous. But it would technically be a relative rather than someone elses kid and you don't know who its parents were.

This makes me think of a scenario i recently encountered. My half brother and his partner want a child. She's tried IVF many times to no avail. I offered them my womb to bake their little cookie in. Is that unethical because I'll essentially be having my brother's child. Cool, how redneck.

It's not the same thing as the scenario given by the OP. You would be carrying your brother's child, through IVF. You would not be carrying and giving birth to your brother (or twin) when your parents gave you the embryo's left over from when they used IVF to have you.

Back